Adding Landing Light Lens

I'm looking to getting one of these installed. I cannot stand how draggy that landing light bowl looks.

I see Aero Resources has an STC kit for $115, but I don't see how the lens is held into the enclosure? From other C's I have seen, there is a circular bracket that encompasses the lens and is then screwed into the enclosure, an inch or so ahead of the light itself as to be flush with the cowling.

Mooney_Landing_Light_Lens_Cover.jpg

Mine has small aluminum 1" or so brackets that fit (drilled and screwed) onto the inside on the "bowl". Drill holes in the lexan to match the brackets that you mount on the inside lip where the light is.

PIA to get lined up, but looks good when complete.

-Tom

Two things, Alex (besides me also wanting the landing light cover!).

1. That light cover has holes drilled in the center. Whuffor? Are in-holed covers available for those of us with LED landing light?
  2. The STC paperwork in your photo is for mounting 201-style spinners on Vintage Mooneys, it has. Ithing to do with landing light covers.

Let us know how things work out, so the rest of us can follow your charted course. 

P.S.--how does this compare to the LASAR cover?

I'm not sure which version it was, but I've seen a lens sandwiched between the light housing and the cowl skin.  The light housing was removed and plate nuts were added to the flange, allowing for future removal and bulb replacements.

Clarence

I installed the LASAR kit it was real easy to install and needed very little adjustment. It has an aluminum ring that fits into the cavity then the lens its affixed to the ring. It was about 55 dollars a couple years ago. 

image.jpeg

I'll try to remember to take a pic today as for the oil cooler I'm just guessing but RM probably got the LASAR cooler relocate and it puts it behind the number 4 cylinder. Sadly that mod is not available for our model 

2 hours ago, N1395W said:

Do you have any idea what the actual speed increase is for you he mod?

Would you consider doing a couple of test flights, with and without the lens cover?

I bet this is more like the root fairings and such. Very very small advantage and impossible to notice, but over the long run, I'm sure it'll save a gallon or two of fuel.

7 hours ago, MB65E said:

Cool, I knew it was curved. I used to have a jig for making Cessna landing light lenses. Wonder if a large glass Jug might be the right shape.

Not that much of a bend.  Could probably clamp the top edge, heat it up and let it droop a bit.  Hold it till it resets

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I bet this is more like the root fairings and such. Very very small advantage and impossible to notice, but over the long run, I'm sure it'll save a gallon or two of fuel.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!  I picked up at least 5 to 10 knots :D

• Like 1