Upgrade A/P ?

TWinter

I called Brit again today just to reconfirm what parts I needed to complete my current system. Jerry said the DG with the heading bug was what I needed and also what the hold up is on Brittians end. Apparently, they have changed some of the switching on it and they are waiting for the final stamp of approval from our Friendly Friends of Aviation. Should have already been approved, but they are hoping within the next month or so...,.I'm still looking at all the options..Just figured I would pass on what the hold up is for the Accu Trk units.

-Tom

• Like 1

Well looks like the final decision was made as far as my upgrade on 7741M. I went back and forth with keeping my existing Brittian system and adding the DG when they come available. With the uncertainly and financial planning I decided to go ahead and change it out.

I've decided on the following:

STEC 30 A/P w/ GPSS

STEC ELECTRIC TRIM

GARMIN REMOTE AUDIO PANEL for the GTN750

JPI 930 PRIMARY - Cleaning up the panel.

Have Monroy Long Range Tanks and reseal scheduled for October with Weep No More.

"That's a Wrap"...

-Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

Well looks like the final decision was made as far as my upgrade on 7741M. I went back and forth with keeping my existing Brittian system and adding the DG when they come available. With the uncertainly and financial planning I decided to go ahead and change it out.

STEC 30 A/P w/ GPSS

STEC ELECTRIC TRIM

Have Monroy Long Range Tanks and reseal scheduled for October with Weep No More.

"That's a Wrap"...

-Tom

A Super 21 deserves no less!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

A Super 21 deserves no less!

I really was hoping to add the Aspen as well, but I've already broke the budget. Since I've started IFR it's enough to absorb all the new procedure and learning new equipment will just add to the process.. ....The Aspen may have to wait until the next go round unless my shop gives me a price I just can't refuse.

On 4/26/2016 at 6:16 PM, takair said:

I didn't take the time to read the full thread, so I apologize up front if I am repeating anything.  It looks like you have Accutrak, but not the Accuflite heading adaptor.  If this is true, you might want to consider that simple add on from Britain.  I've installed a number of STEC 30s and they are good, but the combination Accuflite and Accutrac is equally as good, perhaps even better in one way.  As I recall, the System 30 will track Nav or heading, but not both.  When you turn on Accuflite and Accutrac at the same time, you have a really well behaved autopilot that will perform nice intercepts and tracks really well.  You can adjust the heading bug to compensate for a stiff crosswind.  Nav tracking alone will not do such a nice job.  GPSS is nice, and I really recommend it for the System 30, but with the Brittain combo that I described, it will fly as well as the GPSS.  You only have to do the additional step of setting your heading bug to the new track provided by your GPS.  While not approved for approaches, I can tell you it will track a LPV or ILS rather nicely to the numbers with very little pilot input...especially if you keep your approach speed on the high end.  Not trying to talk you out of the STEC, they really are nice, but you have the basic makings of an equally nice autopilot for a fraction of the price.  You would need the Accuflite and a DG with heading bug.....which you would need anyway. 

I added the Accuflite with DG and an Stec Alt hold during my last upgrade.  I find it works great with the 650!  I've pondered adding GPS roll steering but I really don't think I need it.  With more and more Direct clearances I find myself in the set it and forget it mode.  The heading  bug is relatively inexpensive and reduces the work load considerably.   If I'm issued a new and lengthy clearance I often set the bug to get me headed in the general direction of the first fix.  Sometimes I'll ask for a heading if I'm in unfamiliar territory or the work load is high.  Then  I've got plenty of time to reprogram the 650.   I've also share the same experience with practice approaches.  Once the 650 shifts into approach mode, mine will keep well within a single dot with no rudder input.

2 hours ago, slowflyin said:

I added the Accuflite with DG and an Stec Alt hold during my last upgrade.  I find it works great with the 650!  I've pondered adding GPS roll steering but I really don't think I need it.  With more and more Direct clearances I find myself in the set it and forget it mode.  The heading  bug is relatively inexpensive and reduces the work load considerably.   If I'm issued a new and lengthy clearance I often set the bug to get me headed in the general direction of the first fix.  Sometimes I'll ask for a heading if I'm in unfamiliar territory or the work load is high.  Then  I've got plenty of time to reprogram the 650.   I've also share the same experience with practice approaches.  Once the 650 shifts into approach mode, mine will keep well within a single dot with no rudder input.

The DG is what the hold up is with Brittian right now. They have a new design (actually some small changes), but it had to get a new stamp of approval..They are still waiting, Jerry said hopefully it will be ready for those folks waiting this month.

-Tom

FInally! I got the plane back today. New STEC 55x works great so far. The System 30 is now in my possession and available.

Part number is 01260-6-0-28 s/n 693 installed new at Mooney in 1999.

The Altitude Hold module is 01261-45-28 s/n 2247A also new in 1999. Both have an avionics FAA release form 8130

I have some of the wiring and the connectors included. 

I can send pictures if you are interested in them. 

I would like to see this go to a fellow Mooney owner. Make me a fair offer and it is yours

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TWinter said:

The DG is what the hold up is with Brittian right now. They have a new design (actually some small changes), but it had to get a new stamp of approval..They are still waiting, Jerry said hopefully it will be ready for those folks waiting this month.

-Tom

There are a number of affordable aftermarket DGs that work with the Accutrack. I can look up a couple of them if anybody is interested.

Ok, that is good to know.  I have seen quite a few GPSS modules being sold after the owners upgrade to Aspen or G500, and I bet you can find a unit for

Beechtalk.com has an active classified page to monitor.  Our own Alan Fox participates here and there and I believe he has sold some in the past.  

I would have to agree with this assessment.

I talked with the RC Allen guy at Oshkosh last year. Their booth was right next to the TruTrak booth. I asked when they were going to join teams and come up with a reasonably priced, certified autopilot system.

His response? Did you notice that both of our booths are right next to each other? With a smile.

I would love to install an autopilot in my airplane as all I have is the PC system, but I am going to stick it out for another couple years as things are changing so rapidly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

I would have to agree with this assessment.

I talked with the RC Allen guy at Oshkosh last year. Their booth was right next to the TruTrak booth. I asked when they were going to join teams and come up with a reasonably priced, certified autopilot system.

His response? Did you notice that both of our booths are right next to each other? With a smile.

I would love to install an autopilot in my airplane as all I have is the PC system, but I am going to stick it out for another couple years as things are changing so rapidly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If I was not pursuing the IFR so hard I would be no hurry and gladly wait for Brittian, I guess I'm  a "type A personality" and when I'm on a mission I want it done then. I think they also call this disorder being, "anal". I have a goal in mind and really want to "learn the IFR system" and get my next rating under my belt. Without writing a novel about what I have in mind I'll just say that I'm hoping to continue diligently until I've earned my IFR and then on to Commercial. A friend of mine who is a Commercial pilot have been talking about a small business venture together and it will require a Commercial rating to do it, possibly even multi...and as far as what you are probably thinking, no, we are not wanting to be the next version of "Dangerous Flights or Airplane Repo"..lol,,  Something much more realistic (and safer). We hope to line up multi and work toward it together, hoping to share some of the expense. 

I've used my current A/P set-up for several years. I'm just ready to get a dependable working system installed and ready to fly. I've been hitting the ground school work for IFR daily for a few a hours every day for several weeks now. I have a long way to go, but it's starting to make sense. I'm anxious to get in the air and start applying what I've been learning.

-Tom  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

If I was not pursuing the IFR so hard I would be no hurry and gladly wait for Brittian, I guess I'm  a "type A personality" and when I'm on a mission I want it done then. I think they also call this disorder being, "anal". I have a goal in mind and really want to "learn the IFR system" and get my next rating under my belt. Without writing a novel about what I have in mind I'll just say that I'm hoping to continue diligently until I've earned my IFR and then on to Commercial. A friend of mine who is a Commercial pilot have been talking about a small business venture together and it will require a Commercial rating to do it, possibly even multi...and as far as what you are probably thinking, no, we are not wanting to be the next version of "Dangerous Flights or Airplane Repo"..lol,,  Something much more realistic (and safer). We hope to line up multi and work toward it together, hoping to share some of the expense. 

I've used my current A/P set-up for several years. I'm just ready to get a dependable working system installed and ready to fly. I've been hitting the ground school work for IFR daily for a few a hours every day for several weeks now. I have a long way to go, but it's starting to make sense. I'm anxious to get in the air and start applying what I've been learning.

-Tom  

You'll enjoy and hate the challenges of the instrument rating. Lots to learn and lots of tasks to master. Once you complete it, you'll get a sense of accomplishment and will strive to perfect it.

As for the autopilot, when I did my IFR rating the instructor had me turn off the PC system. I never knew the value of even a wing leveler until I flew in a cloud by myself. I thought of it as a novelty, especially with a lot of old crusty pilots telling me that "real pilots don't need autopilots". Where it really excels are times when you are in task overload and when you have a really long flight and want to make sure Depends aren't leaking. :D

• Like 3

On 4/27/2016 at 8:31 PM, Hector said:

If you want your accutrack to stay glued to the magenta line set your GPS to .3 mile full scale deflection of the CDI during all ops. This is a setting in your GPS. Set the accutrack to high sensitivity and it will follow a tight course glued to the magenta line making corrections at the slightest deviation from the track.

Two thumbs up for Hector.  I followed this advice and felt like it made the Accuflite go from "eh... close enough" to "I can relax and concentrate on something else."

• Like 1

On 4/27/2016 at 8:31 PM, Hector said: If you want your accutrack to stay glued to the magenta line set your GPS to .3 mile full scale deflection of the CDI during all ops. This is a setting in your GPS. Set the accutrack to high sensitivity and it will follow a tight course glued to the magenta line making corrections at the slightest deviation from the track.

Two thumbs up for Hector.  I followed this advice and felt like it made the Accuflite go from "eh... close enough" to "I can relax and concentrate on something else."

Glad it helped. Just passing on a tip from a fellow Mooneyspace member and Brittain AP guru (Mike, "N601RX") who gave me the same tip years ago and helped me through some Brittain issues. That is what makes this place work!!

• Like 1

On April 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM, TWinter said:

STEC 30 A/P w/ GPSS

STEC ELECTRIC TRIM

"That's a Wrap"...

-Tom

I'm scheduled with Paul Oct 31.  Maybe I'll see you there.

I'll be curious how your setup works.  I want to add the AP but there's other more important things I need.