Where to Buy Oxygen in Atlanta

Hey all,

I just picked up my first portable oxygen system to give that a try, see what it's like to use some O2 in my O3.  I had it shipped empty to save costs, so I'm looking around for where to fill oxygen in the northern Atlanta area. Google doesn't seem to provide any obvious choices. Does anybody in this area have a favorite place for this?

Tanks! (yes, pun intended)

Hey Jeff, I've filled mine at LZU for what I thought was very reasonable (been a few years but last time it was $15-20).  I can't remember the name of the maintenance shop but they are on the north side of the runway.  If you go into the FBO on that side and ask they will know exactly where to send you.  They've worked me in with no reservation or notification.I can drive by and get the exact name if needed.  I personally don't want to swap my tank as I bought mine new and they are spotless (I didn't like swapping my gas grill tank either though:))

Jeff, there a thread from a year or so ago with a lot of info. An initial investment in a large supply tank for your hanger that you can exchange is the most cost effective and convenient way to go. The pic is my tank from the plane and the tank i can exchange at the (welding) gas supply place.  O2 is O2 is O2. 

IMG_20150902_132331966.jpg

Jeff, there a thread from a year or so ago with a lot of info. An initial investment in a large supply tank for your hanger that you can exchange is the most cost effective and convenient way to go. The pic is my tank from the plane and the tank i can exchange at the (welding) gas supply place.  O2 is O2 is O2. 

Here's one of the earlier threads:

I think the smartest way would be to get several plane owners at one's field together and set up a transfill system, as it is a pretty hefty cost outlay for an individual. I have a set-up in my hangar and have filled other owners tanks, as the cost of the O2 is really quite low after you do the original investment. Less than $10 per fill.

23 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Exactly.  I'm amazed at how much arguing I've heard about this point.

One caveat, the industrial gas supply house may not want to sell his O2 to a known aviation user (at his welder's pricing) so some of us save both parties embarrassment by not bringing up what the end use is. When I need more O2 I will take my tank to the supply house and exchange. He won't ask and I won't run my big mouth. Capish? For the record, I actually have a welding set up in my home workshop. 

Flame away.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses so far. From what I have been able to gather, both above and through making some calls,  it is insanely difficult to just go get an inexpensive oxygen fill of an existing bottle. The FBOs seem most willing to do this, with prices ranging from $40 to $75/bottle. I couldn't find a medical supply place that would do this. I did talk to AirGas, but I would have to set up a business account with them, and they don't fill the tanks on-site but send them out for filling and then return. I wouldn't want my dinky little 15 cu-ft tank to be rattling around with all those big boys...who knows what condition it would come back in.

I agree that setting up my own station would probably be cheapest in the long run, but that payback would be pretty lengthy based on how much I expect to use it. I guess for now I'll pay Epps their $55 for the convenience of getting it done quickly. I did call the place at LZU and they're a bit cheaper, but I have to weigh the cost of getting to LZU, so it evens out.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I'm curious, what was the medical supply place excuse?

I have portable as well, had it shipped filled, its now empty, I only need it filled every year or so, not really worth it to go the welding tank route. I wonder if it's easier if out west?

The medical supply places I talked to all wanted a doctor's prescription, plus they seem more geared now to the full oxygen concentrators now and not just bottles. But I haven't given up that angle yet, just ran out of time today exploring it.

21 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I think Tractor Supply is starting to carry Welding Gasses

Yes, selected Tractor Supplies stores have tanks. They operate it about like convenience stores handle propane tanks for your gas grill. I could have gone that route but the industrial gas was a good bit cheaper for a starter tank and exchange and had more choice of sizes. 

Jeff, for what's it's worth, my 91 year old mother-in-law who lives with us was on O2 for a while after a hospital stay. The medical supply outfit provided a concentrator for use at home and small tanks for while away. Fitting conventions are different and I'm sure much more expensive unless it's covered by health insurance.

According to my basic airmanship book...

High pressure oxygen is used to fill a tank at 1800psi.

Bulk means they have a big tank and can fill your small tank...

Bottle means you can buy a tank that is filled already...

I looked this up, I don't have the experience personally...

Best regards,

-a-

I suspect this very thorough article was linked in the earlier thread. It answers all the questions being asked by folks getting started and it deals with using welding O2.

"Having problems finding Aviator's Breathing Oxygen to refill your bottle? Upset about the rip-off prices some FBOs charge for an O2 fill? Don't put up with it, says AVweb's John Deakin, who explains why it's perfectly safe — and perfectly legal — to use cheap welder's oxygen, and tells you exactly what you need to know to buy it in bulk and do your own refills."

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182079-1.html

On April 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Bob_Belville said:

One caveat, the industrial gas supply house may not want to sell his O2 to a known aviation user (at his welder's pricing) so some of us save both parties embarrassment by not bringing up what the end use is. When I need more O2 I will take my tank to the supply house and exchange. He won't ask and I won't run my big mouth. Capish? For the record, I actually have a welding set up in my home workshop. 

Flame away.

I've never had a problem getting my tank re-filled at a welding supply store.  I believe I used airgas when I lived in the Atlanta area.  It's usually about $25-30.  Lee