Caravan training for Oshkosh 2016

Bob_Belville

www.mooneycaravan.com 

From http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

• Mooney Caravan Mid-Atlantic Formation Clinic - Fredericksburg, VA - May 21-22

Attention East Coast Pilots.  Plan to attend the second annual Mooney Caravan Mid-Atlantic Formation Clinic at KRMN Stafford Regional in Fredericksburg, VA for your Mooney Caravan formation training and proficiency. Whether you are an experienced formation pilot and need a "tune up" for this year's Caravan or a newbie who's tired of the Fisk Arrival and finally wants to arrive at OSH in style, this is your East Coast opportunity. Registration deadline is May 3 so get registered early.  Please download the Clinic brochure with all the info here.

1 hour ago, Dave Marten said:

www.mooneycaravan.com 

From http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

• Mooney Caravan Mid-Atlantic Formation Clinic - Fredericksburg, VA - May 21-22

Attention East Coast Pilots.  Plan to attend the second annual Mooney Caravan Mid-Atlantic Formation Clinic at KRMN Stafford Regional in Fredericksburg, VA for your Mooney Caravan formation training and proficiency. Whether you are an experienced formation pilot and need a "tune up" for this year's Caravan or a newbie who's tired of the Fisk Arrival and finally wants to arrive at OSH in style, this is your East Coast opportunity. Registration deadline is May 3 so get registered early.  Please download the Clinic brochure with all the info here.

Thanks Dave. I had found that one. Unfortunately, the date conflicts with MooneyMax maintenance seminar ! KGGG that I'm attending. Perhaps someone knows of a Beech or Piper formation clinic that would qualify and would accept a vintage Mooney.

Otherwise I'll probably do the Fisk arrival and camp in the Vintage Aircraft section. Comments and advice welcome. (I've never been to AirAdventure though I did fly into SnF once. That was easy enough.) 

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks Dave. I had found that one. Unfortunately, the date conflicts with MooneyMax maintenance seminar ! KGGG that I'm attending. Perhaps someone knows of a Beech or Piper formation clinic that would qualify and would accept a vintage Mooney.

The Cherokee folks are good people, but I don't think they'll be able to keep up with you in your Mooney.

Otherwise I'll probably do the Fisk arrival and camp in the Vintage Aircraft section. Comments and advice welcome. (I've never been to AirAdventure though I did fly into SnF once. That was easy enough.) 

Fly in late Saturday or early Sunday and you'll be able to camp nearby in the North 40.

• Like 1

We can try to get you into the upcoming B2Osh clinic in NC. Answer to your question above is available here http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

B2Osh NC.png

Contact the Caravan leadership and see what can be arranged. From their website. PM me off-line and I'll be happy to help.

There is no better way to attend AirVenture!

Mooney Caravan Leadership
  • Mooney Caravan President: Chris "Toro" Shopperly, chris_at_southridgepetro.com
  • Mooney Caravan Vice President: Larry "Joker" Brennan, larry_at_lawrencebrennan.com
  • FAA Liaison and Secretary: Dave "Raptor" Piehler, davep_at_aviating.com
  • Flight Operations Director: Chuck "Cowboy" Crinnian,chiefpilot_at_aviationdoc.net

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Marten said:

We can try to get you into the upcoming B2Osh clinic in NC. Answer to your question above is available here http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

Dave, the Elizabeth City B20SH event would work except that Nancy and I are leaving very early Monday morning for a week in CA. Is there anything at all in June? Thanks! 

The Elizabeth City B2Osh clinic is full, not enough safety pilots, I gather.  I'd go for sure, otherwise. 

My son, Bert, was mightily impressed with the fun we had with the Caravan people. So much so, that he's considering driving, if Rob and I don't make it to Madison/OSH,. He wonders if he could show up in the North 40 and tuck in behind somebody's Mooney wing with his little tent. 

Mimi ("scoop") Reiheld

Scoop,

The Caravan is hosting a training clinic in VA 21-22 May. Are you going to OSH? Get together with one of your fellow east coast Caravan pilots and go fly a proficiency flight or two. You've had the training, just need to demonstrate proficiency prior to OSH. Get to a clinic or fly "on your own" with another Caravan or B2osh pilot. 

Edited by Dave Marten

6 hours ago, Dave Marten said:

Scoop,

The Caravan is hosting a training clinic in VA 21-22 May. Are you going to OSH? Get together with one of your fellow east coast Caravan pilots and go fly a proficiency flight or two. You've had the training, just need to demonstrate proficiency prior to OSH. Get to a clinic or fly "on your own" with another Caravan or B2osh pilot. 

Dave, thanks for your and Adam's willingness to help me get proficient before Oshkosh! Maybe there are several folks who are missing out on next week's B2OSH and have a conflict with the 5/21 dates to work out a small group?  

If there are any folks who need help and are further north, Ned and I have planned some training sorties early May... and we might do others in June if needed... just get in touch with me.

Yves (callsign Olaf)

On 4/25/2016 at 11:25 AM, Dave Marten said:

Bob/Scoop,

Continue working with Adam "Sled" Carney adam@mooney8wm.com to identify training opportunities for East Coast pilots who could not make 5/21 in VA. Sign up for the Caravan at www.mooneycaravan.com 

Thanks again! We have a well qualified, experienced formation flying instructor here - Brandon NeSmith - who is willing to help us if that is any use to Mooney Caravan folks. http://tablerockaviation.com/pages/flight-training/

Clarification - should I register and pay the $100 before we get set up for training? 

On 4/25/2016 at 11:25 AM, Dave Marten said:

If you are planning on flying with the Caravan to Oshkosh then yes please register. If you fail to complete the training then you'll be given a refund. 

Okay, registered and paid. Fired up! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On April 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks again! We have a well qualified, experienced formation flying instructor here - Brandon NeSmith - who is willing to help us if that is any use to Mooney Caravan folks. http://tablerockaviation.com/pages/flight-training/

Clarification - should I register and pay the $100 before we get set up for training? 

Following

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, yvesg said:

I am happy you guys have got good weather this week-end. Can't wait to meet you all in Madison and Oshkosh.

Yves

Huge thank you to Lee Fox, Jim Rigoulot, Dave Snyder and the other volunteer safety pilots who spent their time and money helping 8 newbies acquire enough skills to fly the Caravan! Dave flew his J all the way from Augusta to ride with us. I'm humbled and grateful. They taught this old dog a new trick.

20160618 N943RW.JPG

• Like 1

I missed being there.  I had the stars aligned the first week when the weather didn't hold.  Now the weather is really nice

Got some flying in earlier this week.  Things seem to be coming together fairly well.

I'll be pushing to get the training completed some time along the way.  I still need the really nice weather part for the X-country travel...

You guys had a good turn-out this time.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

I missed being there.  I had the stars aligned the first week when the weather didn't hold.  Now the weather is really nice

Got some flying in earlier this week.  Things seem to be coming together fairly well.

I'll be pushing to get the training completed some time along the way.  I still need the really nice weather part for the X-country travel...

You guys had a good turn-out this time.

Best regards,

-a-

I inherited your assigned safety pilot, Lee Fox, 30,000 hour retired AA B777 jockey who is a super Mooney guy. We had a great time with enough traffic conflict events to last all year!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure if there were any caravan training flights on the west coast, perhaps I missed it (happens). I plan to fly to Oshkosh first time ever (alone) in my J. Hope to meet up with many of you and put faces to the online posts. I think I will try to arrive on Saturday and camp. Looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, wishboneash said:

I wasn't sure if there were any caravan training flights on the west coast, perhaps I missed it (happens). I plan to fly to Oshkosh first time ever (alone) in my J. Hope to meet up with many of you and put faces to the online posts. I think I will try to arrive on Saturday and camp. Looking forward to it!

If you want to fly in the Caravan contact Jolie Lucas (Mooneygirl). A week or two ago she decided to join the Caravan and still needed to get in the training. She's based near San Luis Obispo.

If you want to fly in the Caravan contact Jolie Lucas (Mooneygirl). A week or two ago she decided to join the Caravan and still needed to get in the training. She's based near San Luis Obispo.

Thanks Bob. I will have to check if I can get this done soon or do the Fisk arrival.