Yoopers Rocketman's Lancair

Awesome paint job Tom; I’ve been waiting for this day. I’m always blown away by the FlightAware stats on this bird. Nothing like busting 300KTS ground speed at cruise for your “short hop” yesterday. What you avoided a 7-8hr drive in lieu of a 40min flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Awesome paint job Tom; I’ve been waiting for this day. I’m always blown away by the FlightAware stats on this bird. Nothing like busting 300KTS ground speed at cruise for your “short hop” yesterday. What you avoided a 7-8hr drive in lieu of a 40min flight?

Yes.  I attended the little "airport Day" in Freemont last year in primer and thought it would be nice to return this year in new paint.  I called Dan, the chapter member that was listed on the publications for the event, wanting to be sure they would reserve a spot for me in the more "restricted area" so I could control those wandering around the plane.  Last year, unbelievably, an ATP flying for the majors with a really nice retract single engine Cessna was parked next to me and while viewing the plane broke one of my $85 static wicks (REALLY?).  Anyway, when talking to Dan I mentioned it would be just under 40 minutes and he laughed (knowing it was true, but kind of not realistic).  I met him during the event yesterday and  he was flying in a 3 ship formation of Yaks.

I always use Lancair 994PT as my call sign, not "Experimental 994PT" because a retired ATC controller and supervisor that spoke at a Lancair convention once stated that was a much more useful description for the controllers so they are prepared for the speeds.  During my descent into Freemont, while talking with Muskegon Approach, the controller asked me if I had the "Walters engine" in my plane?  I told the controller, yes it's a Walters and asked why he inquired.  He said he saw my speed during my descent and knew it was likely not a piston.  I was just hitting 10K about then (ground speed of 297 knots) and came back with "BTW, I'm at 248 knots indicated", concerned he might think I was busting the 250 knot reg.  He came back saying no worry, but I saw your ground speed go over 330 knots on your initial descent just before Minneapolis turned you over to me.

It's a really fun plane to fly!!

Tom

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, bradp said:

Tom do you have a quick rundown of your numbers (UL, ktas, GPH/PPH, fuel capacity, etc...?)  I'm living vicariously :-)

From what I've seen him post here, it's simple:  lots, high, close-your-eyes high and plenty. Then again, his cruise speed seems to be almost double what Bravo owners post . . .

• Like 3

I think Jerry asked if you had a Walters engine...

As usual... I couldn't recall.  :)

Now I know the answer... 

As usual... I’m not sure it was Jerry that was asking... :)

@Jerry 5TJ with the P46PT...  (Jerry was that your question?)

It is really interesting to get a review of the kias limit vs GS.  I don’t think, in the O, I’m going to reach that number, more than once...

Best regards,

-a-

19 minutes ago, Hank said:

From what I've seen him post here, it's simple:  lots, high, close-your-eyes high and plenty. Then again, his cruise speed seems to be almost double what Bravo owners post . . .

Hank!  I almost fell out of my chair laughing!  Nice analogy.  

Tom

27 minutes ago, bradp said:

Tom do you have a quick rundown of your numbers (UL, ktas, GPH/PPH, fuel capacity, etc...?)  I'm living vicariously :-)

1500+ UL

TAS at 295-300 knots in the summer, 300-310 in the winter

30-32 GPH at max cruise at FL 270-280 (same power setting that sees 55 gallons an hour on initial climb, but remember how quick we gain altitude)

163 gallon  capacity until 17 gallon baggage compartment tank is installed 

180 gallons after baggage tank installation 

Takeoff lift speed 85 Knots 

Cruise climb 165 knots

Rate of climb   Almost 4,000’ a minute at sea level, drops on an even curve to about 500’ a minute near 270/280

VNE 274 knots or Mach .57 up high 

Landing.  Over the numbers at 105 knots, land at 80-85 knots

Tom

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

1500+ UL

30-32 GPH at max cruise at FL 270-280 (same power setting that sees 55 gallons an hour on initial climb, but remember how quick we gain altitude)

Cruise climb 165 knots

Rate of climb   Almost 4,000’ a minute at sea level, drops on an even curve to about 500’ a minute near 270/280

Tom

Once you're on the ground do you have a thrust reverser to shorten the stopping distance?

20 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Very nice.:D

I do have a question for yo how does the Lnacair IV RG handle grass strips?

NOT!!!

19 minutes ago, bradp said:

Also Tom what went into the decision about the walter vs garrett? 

Three factors.   My local A&P / IA maintained a fleet of Garrett’s and said a prop strike would render the entire engine scrap metal.  My Walters engine shop was half the price, with affordable pricing for all future issues I might run into including my next OH “.  

The last one was when my engine guy showed me 10 years ago an engine that the owner had called from South America needing a starter/generator mount.  John told him he had a prop strike because that was the only reason it would break.   The owner denied it but was flying up to Sun & Fun the next week so John told him he would only send the new mount if he stopped at his shop in Deland when flew up to Florida.  John showed me the bulge in the engine case from the prop strike failure, yet the engine stayed together all the way over the Gulf of Mexico, getting this guy to John’s shop.  That sure beats a recip failure!

Tom

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Wow! More impressive than I thought. But seeing your landing numbers, I'm shocked that Doc could get in and out of our obstructed 3000' field in WV. Despite having only 100LL, he based his IV-P there, in a box hangar with his Pitts S2. Always like listening to the beta thrust on the rollout, and him exercising the prop as he taxied across the ramp to his hangar. They are amazing airplanes!  :wub:

But with these numbers, you gotta stay sharp.

46 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Hank!  I almost fell out of my chair laughing!  Nice analogy.  

You gotta consider where I'm coming from with my C:

34 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

1500+ UL   970 lb

TAS at 295-300 knots in the summer, 300-310 in the winter   148 KTAS

30-32 GPH at max cruise at FL 270-280 (same power setting that sees 55 gallons an hour on initial climb, but remember how quick we gain altitude)   9 gph

163 gallon  capacity until 17 gallon baggage compartment tank is installed   52 gallons, good for 5-1/2 hours

Takeoff lift speed 85 Knots   70 mph

Cruise climb 165 knots   120 mph, but I generally vlimb at Vy = 100 mph - Altitude in 1000s

Rate of climb   Almost 4,000’ a minute at sea level, drops on an even curve to about 500’ a minute near 270/280   I'm thrilled to reach 1000 fpm in the winter 

VNE 274 knots or Mach .57 up high   Vne = 200 mph

Landing.  Over the numbers at 105 knots, land at 80-85 knots  Over the numbers ~70 mph, land in the low 60s

Tom

Even your old, slow Rocket would be a huge step up in complexity and performance for many of us here. Your Lancair is simply blistering! While I can share your joy at your air- and groundspeeds, I find your fuel flow to be frightening. Even if it's only 50-odd gph for a couple of hours, that's a full tank, caps to vapor, for me each hour . . . .

Keep flying this beautiful plane, and maybe I'll see it for real one day. You certainly have the mission for it!

• Like 1

1500+ UL
Cruise climb 165 knots
Tom

This is the coolest thing I’ve read today!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

@Jerry 5TJ with the P46PT...  (Jerry was that your question?)

We were having a wide-ranging chat & that was among the topics, yes. 

Before buying the JetProp I spoke to Tom about the IVP turbine.  I looked carefully at Lancair Evolution and flew a couple of them: Nice compact hot-rods, both beautifully finished, and they approach the performance Tom gets but with a more benign wing and a P&W PT6A-135 instead of a Walter 601.  

In the event I bought another JetProp.  My main reasons were product maturity & insurance availability.     

Would I like 50 knots faster?  Of course!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

We were having a wide-ranging chat & that was among the topics, yes. 

Before buying the JetProp I spoke to Tom about the IVP turbine.  I looked carefully at Lancair Evolution and flew a couple of them: Nice compact hot-rods, both beautifully finished, and they approach the performance Tom gets but with a more benign wing and a P&W PT6A-135 instead of a Walter 601.  

In the event I bought another JetProp.  My main reasons were product maturity & insurance availability.     

Would I like 50 knots faster?  Of course!

Had I known in 1999 where the safety record / insurance was going to go on this model, I would have saved me money and done the same as you.  By the time that all happened I was too far vested to turn back.  Unfortunately, the safety record has a lot more to do with owners resistant to training, and recurrent training than the actual air frame.  Too many guys with too much money that thought they were too good to need training.  The results on such a high performance bird, with that attitude, regrettably were predictable.

Tom

• Like 1