Yoopers Rocketman's Lancair

Tuesday morning in Kansas picking up my TKS panels.  I loaded the wings back in the U.P., left at 1:00 PM when the last wing panel finally arrived at CAV, and headed from there to my painter's shop in Milan, Tennessee (arrived there just before 5 PM).  My back was killing me yesterday from the drive and hotel bed, but we should be glueing the panels on today.  

More pictures tomorrow.

BTW, I started this thread for some of you that suggested I post updates.

Tom

oops, picture didn't post.  Will try to get one on here later.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tuesday morning in Kansas picking up my TKS panels.  I loaded the wings back in the U.P., left at 1:00 PM when the last wing panel finally arrived at CAV, and headed from there to my painter's shop in Milan, Tennessee (arrived there just before 5 PM).  My back was killing me yesterday from the drive and hotel bed, but we should be glueing the panels on today.  

More pictures tomorrow.

BTW, I started this thread for some of you that suggested I post updates.

Tom

oops, picture didn't post.  Will try to get one on here later.  

Sweet - a Lancair with TKS?!  That is going to be an awesome machine.

Why have I never seen a Lancair with TKS before.  Do you need to design the install yourself or has Cav Aero already designed an install for your airframe?

Do you know - are all tks panels the same or are they specialized for each airframe?  I mean the length, the radius of the curvature, etc?

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Sweet - a Lancair with TKS?!  That is going to be an awesome machine.

Why have I never seen a Lancair with TKS before.  Do you need to design the install yourself or has Cav Aero already designed an install for your airframe?

Do you know - are all tks panels the same or are they specialized for each airframe?  I mean the length, the radius of the curvature, etc?

First to answer Orionflt, yes Brad will be painting it.  He completed the only TKS wing and H/stab panel install I thought was nice enough that I could be satisfied with TKS on my plane (I've seen quite a few installs I could not have lived with).  

Erik, yes CAV makes a model specific for the Lancair IV, IVPT, IVPT.  The last kit they sold before my order in October of 2014 (yes, I've been waiting 18 months) was in 2011-2012, so I was happy they would even sell me a kit.  The delay was because the factory in the UK converted the production process from manual (craftsman) to automated machines.  They converted every model except the Lancair kit to this modern technology.  Most of the craftsman from the manual build days had retired or left, so it took quite a while to get guys back up to speed building my panels.  The delay never really hurt me, time wise, but another month delay would have cost me a bunch more, as I should be ready for wing installation in 4-6 weeks (requiring wing removal later at Brad's shop once delivered for final paint if panels not on then).  So.........I am really grateful CAV didn't just dump my order.  That would have probably been the most financially wise decision.

We found out yesterday the wing panels are 1 1/2" longer than the wings (less winglets), so we needed to modify the end of the wing, and will need to do the same to the winglets.  We did not bond today, too many hours spent getting them in the exact location for the least disruption of the laminar airfoil.  Hopefully tomorrow, as I need to head back to the U.P.  Will leave the wings and all accessories for Brad to final body work and prime.

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, orionflt said:

Plenty of them out there with TKS, some with heated foils...others are just naked :o

Brian

Ps, can't wait to see it when it's done, who are you getting to test fly it? I can hook you up with a few names if you need them.

Thanks for the offer, but John Cook, my engine guy will be training me.  He has about 18,000 hours of Walters time and was the first Lancair builder to install a turbine in the IVPT airframe.  I've incorporated every feature he has requested (dual fuel pumps, simplified fuel system,dual engine instrumentation, new updated Wolstenholm nose strut, etc.). 

Speaking about Bob, I thought I caught an earlier post during Sun & Fun that you know him.  When he first brought his completed IVP to Oshkosh, I was all over it with my camera.  After a while my dad spotted his concern with me all over the plane.  Dad told him "don't worry, this is one of the finest IVP's my son has ever seen, and he building one right now so those pictures are worth a ton more than the builders manual.

Tom

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

First to answer Orionflt, yes Brad will be painting it.  He completed the only TKS wing and H/stab panel install I thought was nice enough that I could be satisfied with TKS on my plane (I've seen quite a few installs I could not have lived with).  

Hi Yooper,

That's interesting to me - what did you do to make your installation "satisfying"?

It seems to me that many TKS installations, including on my own plane, could have been smoother at the installation phase.  But then as far as a Mooney is concerned, or any metal plane where the panels are glued on front  of the wing leading edge, this changes the shape of a nice laminar flow wing and must greatly impact the nature of how the flow was intended to stay attached - perhaps tripping it early.  Is there anything that can be done on a Mooney to make a superb TKS install?  Or were you changing the front radius of your fiberglass lancair wing to accomadate the panels with a net result change the wing shape?

15 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi Yooper,

That's interesting to me - what did you do to make your installation "satisfying"?

It seems to me that many TKS installations, including on my own plane, could have been smoother at the installation phase.  But then as far as a Mooney is concerned, or any metal plane where the panels are glued on front  of the wing leading edge, this changes the shape of a nice laminar flow wing and must greatly impact the nature of how the flow was intended to stay attached - perhaps tripping it early.  Is there anything that can be done on a Mooney to make a superb TKS install?  Or were you changing the front radius of your fiberglass lancair wing to accomadate the panels with a net result change the wing shape?

It's the body work of the panels to the wing (carbon fiber) that so many did not get to the professional level that Brad has accomplished.  His installs are seamless. We did get them bonded on today and it went really nice.  We spent 2 full days in prep and alignment before he and I were satisfied. I took pictures with my IPhone and will post tomorrow.  I headed out of Tennessee at 3 PM and thought I could drive all the way home (12 1/2 hours) but ran out of steam at midnight and got a room in Sheboygan, WI. Will finish the last 3 hours in the morning. 

Well, got home at 9:30 this morning and my wife put me to work replacing fence posts in her horse pasture all day.  As promised, here are some pictures on the installation we did of the wing deice panels Friday afternoon.  Brad and crew (Airframes, Inc) were great to work with.  I believe we will have one of the best Lancair TKS installs, as we found several areas we were able to improve the installation over prior installs he has done (and I have seen).  Only time will tell.  I brought the horizontal stabilizer panels home, as I feel really confident I can get them on now that I have participated in the wing panel installations.

One picture shows Brad installing the special glue to hold the panels on (two part epoxy product).  The other two show the panels after installation and cleaning off the squeezed out glue.  The panels were protected with multiple layers of blue painters tape to ensure no glue got on the panels.  10 ratchet straps were used per wing, with a lot of adjusting and switching which side the ratchet was on to make sure the leading edge of the panels were perfectly straight (tended to pull a bit to the side the ratchet was on).  Brad and crew will final bodywork the wings and all accessories, then install final primer to fly in.  Preliminary feedback was I had everything pretty decent (bodywork wise) so hopefully not too much work will be needed.  I should be running back down in 3-4 weeks to pick them up to install on the plane (hope to have it out to the airport by then).

Tom

April 23, 2016 012.JPG

April 23, 2016 014.JPG

April 23, 2016 015.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Rocketman, I am going to the UP again on Memorial Day, any time to show off your project?  I should land IMT on Friday evening and depart Monday late afternoon.  Love to chat and have a tour!

15 hours ago, Bob said:

Rocketman, I am going to the UP again on Memorial Day, any time to show off your project?  I should land IMT on Friday evening and depart Monday late afternoon.  Love to chat and have a tour!

Bob,

Sure thing.  I have another Lancair Turbine builder coming up from Ohio on Saturday, weather permitting, to pick up an A/C drive I designed / built for him and review my project as well.  I am pretty free that weekend.

Give me a call;

nine zero six, four five eight, six nine eight nine  / cell

nine zero six, seven seven four, zero three nine two / home

You can email me direct too;

tom at uptruckcenter dot com

toms1 at  chartermi dot net

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wiguy said:

Have fun up there, go up a fair amount myself. If I wasn't booked up I would be there almost now.

I usually go to Ontonagon, and sometimes the grass runway in Sidnaw(Piper airplane). We have a camp up that way.

Nice country up there.  Never landed on the grass strip, but buzzed it with my snowmobile.  I've done several business and mercy flights to Ontonagon.  Nice little airport too.

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made some progress over the last week.  Installed the wings, not to be completed without the usual hurdles (TKS tube interference at the wing roots, a terribly tight fit in the spar box and more bodywork at the wing to wing root mating area).  Most of the wiring is complete relating to the wings and wingtips, including both magnatrometers installed.  Pulled it outside yesterday to test the TKS system, but that gave us some challenges too.  In the end, builder one, airplane 0.  All panels flowed nicely and no leaks (except at the wing panels where designed to weep).  My engine builder plans on flying up tomorrow to fire up the engine for the first time since he ran it at his shop after the IRAN (if he recovers from a flu bug hitting him the last couple days).

Tom

Iphon August 25, 2016 002.JPG

Iphon August 25, 2016 003.JPG

Iphon August 25, 2016 005.JPG

Iphon August 25, 2016 006.JPG

Iphon August 25, 2016 007.JPG

Iphon August 25, 2016 008.JPG

• Like 5