Yoopers Rocketman's Lancair

30 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Nice..   I have the sams MasterCard that gives cash back on fuel, but the fine print says not for aviation fuel purchases.  So I just use my Marriott visa and get hotel stay points.  We’ve been thinking about getting a Costco membership.  I’ll have to check it out.   Sometimes I notice airport fuel purchases either listed as shell or phillips66 or the name of the airport or city.   My hangar rent comes up as phillips66.   Hmmmm

The fine print says 1% on fuel for "non-automobile purposes" but I think the catch is on how it is billed. Just looking at the last few, when I got fuel in Chandler it billed as "Chandler Air Services" but the category Citi put it in was "Vehicle Services - Service Station." When I get fuel at home, Corona, it bills as "Phillips 66 - Corona Air" and the category is "Vehicle Services - Automated Gas Dispenser." Most of what I buy qualifies, at least up until the 10th month when I have maxed out the 4% on gas purchases and it kicks into the 1% category.

2 minutes ago, amillet said:

I shredded my Costco Visa after I got my first statement and found they were charging interest from the date of purchase.  The fuel rebate may make up for it but it is the principal. Every other card I have is no interest if paid by due date of statement 

Interesting, I have never paid a penny of interest on the card but we have never carried a balance either. I think we've had it for a couple of years, since whenever it was that Costco switched from American Express to Visa.

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Many people talk about a fuel card to receive substantial discounts on jetA even at larger airports. I wonder what the stipulations are and if that would be advantageous for you?

Yes, there are some programs but they require a yearly enrollment ($600 to $1000 a year if I recall).  They also have a list of FBO's that participate and it's not any I ever fly into.  Even if I did, I've seen the "private / unpublished pricing schedule" and on my volume it would never pay.  They have a "free 6 month trial" but since I'm pretty sure I would never purchase the annual membership I don't feel right taking the free trial.

Tom

2 minutes ago, amillet said:

The fine print confirmed interest from date of purchase.  Maybe they have different programs, but this was the card they sent to replace the AMEX.  I use my Alaska Air Visa and collect the air miles 

That must be only if there is a balance that carries over. It is the one they sent to replace the Amex and we have never paid any interest.

2 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Yes, there are some programs but they require a yearly enrollment ($600 to $1000 a year if I recall).  They also have a list of FBO's that participate and it's not any I ever fly into.  Even if I did, I've seen the "private / unpublished pricing schedule" and on my volume it would never pay.  They have a "free 6 month trial" but since I'm pretty sure I would never purchase the annual membership I don't feel right taking the free trial.

Tom

I would be interested to see how the Citi Card would handle JetA if it is purchased from a vendor that also sells Avgas. You swipe it at the same machine so I would think it would come across in the same billing category. If only I had enough money to own something that used JetA.....

• 2 months later...

Well, It's been quite a while since I've posted on this subject but thought this weeks progress might be interesting for some of you that have been interested in the project.  All the body work is done and now it's getting some color.  A lot of the prep work for the interior has been completed during the last 6 weeks as well.  I have a very unique paint scheme that Cris at Scheme Designers "NAILED" and Brad (Airframes, Inc) and his painter are very excited about.  Something different than the typical airplane paint scheme.  I will elaborate later as that takes shape on the airplane, but for now we're at least getting some colors.

Tom

Lancair White 4.jpg

Lancair White 3.jpg

Lancair White 1.jpg

Lancair White 2.jpg

Lancair Pre-first paint.jpg

Lancair speed mods.jpg

Lancair White 5.jpg

Lancair Blue 3-29-18.jpg

Lancair Silver 3-30-18.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Blue,than pewter or silver sploosh ,what's next a splash of red perhaps?

No red, but a pretty exciting paint scheme.  I'll share as soon as it get's applied.  Will be some serious airbrush work!

I am pretty sure there will not be another in the country like it.

Tom

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Tech question...

Whats all the water on the floor for?  

Dust control?

Paint resistance for the floor?

Is she getting the nose art?

Looks interesting.

Best regards,

-a-

Dust control.  Most paint shops do that (I always have).   

Nose art is gone for good.   Just doesn’t fit with the new paint scheme.

Tom

• Like 1

I’ve cheated and seen a drawing of the future paint. And as awesome a design as it is, it will be much cooler on carbon fiber!!!! Glad the paint is going well. Hope a trip to Washington will be planned soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I intend to be in Iron Mountain on July 6th this year. I'm hoping you'll be in town and I can get a look at this amazing machine.

You're just not going to SEE IT, we're going for a ride in it and you will get to FLY IT!

Tom

• Like 4

5 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I’ve cheated and seen a drawing of the future paint. And as awesome a design as it is, it will be much cooler on carbon fiber!!!! Glad the paint is going well. Hope a trip to Washington will be planned soon.

Hoping to fly out to see my sister during her new home construction overlooking the Puget Sound near Port Angeles this summer.  I will be stopping to visit one of my "earlier in life" (military) best friends in Ontario, OR.  We may be able to stop in the huge metropolis of John Day on our way from Ontario to Port Angeles.  My wife would be game too if she get's to see the new addition to your family :>)

Tom

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 8:27 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

No red, but a pretty exciting paint scheme.  I'll share as soon as it get's applied.  Will be some serious airbrush work!

I am pretty sure there will not be another in the country like it.

Tom

Ooh ooh! I know what it is!  I can't wait to see it!

Hoping to fly out to see my sister during her new home construction overlooking the Puget Sound near Port Angeles this summer.  I will be stopping to visit one of my "earlier in life" (military) best friends in Ontario, OR.  We may be able to stop in the huge metropolis of John Day on our way from Ontario to Port Angeles.  My wife would be game too if she get's to see the new addition to your family :>)
Tom

We can make arrangements for some baby time:) There is a good chance over the summer we will be in Seattle for baseball games. Maybe we can all take in a game if you guys are around.

• 1 month later...

OK, time to share the paint and interior.  I picked it up from Airframes, Inc. down in Milan Tennessee (Gibson County / KTGC) on Wednesday.  Steve (my hangar partner, best friend, and E Model Mooney owner) flew down with me in the Rocket, and flew the Rocket back for me to the U.P.  He got off about an hour and 10 minutes before me, flying back at 13k.  We agreed to talk on 122.75 once both in the air, but since I was quite a ways behind him, I waited until central Illinois before giving him a call.  I asked his location and ETA to KIMT, and he said he was between Rockford, IL and Madison, WI, with 1:12 left to KIMT.  I regrettably (well, not really) reported I was 1:07 from IMT and ended up passing him on descent into KIMT.  We both had headwinds on the return; well more like serious crosswinds with a slight headwind component.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1017L/history/20180523/2050Z/KTGC/KIMT

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20180523/2215Z/KTGC/KIMT

Anyway, back to the plane.  The paint scheme is a warped / evolution of the Braveheart logo I've had on my truck for the last 5 years (and have always liked prior to that).  Scheme Designers took a concept Steve and I had come up with after he mentioned how the design seemed to have elements of it that looked like the wing structure of the Wright flyer.  I wanted a "discrete" design, one that was not real obvious, of this concept.  So................this is best described as " A tribute and a Contrast".  It's a tribute the first Experimental airplane with the contrast being it's on the side of a 300+ knot Experimental Airplane I built in my garage.  It might be corny.....but I love it and my painter liked it as well.

The first two pictures are of my truck where the idea came from.  The rest are of the plane.  These are the first public photos of the completed paint job.  You guys are seeing this before my Lancair friends!  Hope you like it.

Tom

September 24,2017 059.JPG

September 24,2017 061.JPG

May 23, 2018 070.JPG

May 23, 2018 071.JPG

May 23, 2018 072.JPG

May 23, 2018 073.JPG

May 23, 2018 Interior.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1