Yoopers Rocketman's Lancair

OP, this is beyond ridiculously cool. I see it took you almost 18 years. I'm not that much older.

Seeing as the glass panel is still in it's infancy back then, did you ever envision having that when you first started your project?

36 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

122.8 is the frequency for my airport in the UK. :). Glad we are twins. :)

122.800 is the UNICOM for maybe 90% of the untowered airports here in the states.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

OP, this is beyond ridiculously cool. I see it took you almost 18 years. I'm not that much older.

Seeing as the glass panel is still in it's infancy back then, did you ever envision having that when you first started your project?

122.800 is the UNICOM for maybe 90% of the untowered airports here in the states.

I've been based at three, in order:  122.7, 122.8 and now 122.9. One nearby is 123.0.

14 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Amazingly enough, one friend was badgering me after I first bought the kit (1999) on what my avionics were going to be.  I told him there was no way I was even THINKING about that, as fast as that technology changes, I would only spend time on that when it became my hold up (almost done).  So no, I never dreamed I would go glass, none alone all glass with no steam gauge back-up.  It has been a transition!!

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 11:42 PM, Mcstealth said:

What is N1, and N2?

N1 the the power turbine where the fuel is actually burning and turning the compressor which pulls more air into the turbine for combustion.

N2 is the output turbine (windmill so to speak)  It sits in the exhaust stream of the N1 and it powers the prop through a gearbox.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amillet said:

51.1 GPH?

That's why you don't fly jet engines down low.  You go up to 28k and the speed goes up and the fuel burn goes down.  This plane will get the same MPG as my Mooney but be going 100+ knots faster and pressurized.

Tom

• Like 4

On 12/31/2016 at 4:46 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

That's why you don't fly jet engines down low.  You go up to 28k and the speed goes up and the fuel burn goes down.  This plane will get the same MPG as my Mooney but be going 100+ knots faster and pressurized.

Tom

Sooooo, I'm always open to adoption? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well I missed my one year anniversary of first flight, with the plane down for almost 2 months for final bodywork before sending to my painter in Tennessee.  He now wants a couple long trips on it and then bring it down to him.  My poor wife spent another period of me doing ridiculous hours trying to get it flying again.  

This is NOT a plane you want periods of time not flying.  I was definitely not as comfortable today as I was when flying 20 hours a month.  

No flight photos but a few shots of the areas needing work after 165 hours of mostly pressurized flights at Mach ".53".

The flap gap seals and NACA scoop servo controlled door are new "speed mods".

Tom

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

11-21-17 064.JPG

11-21-17 082.JPG

11-21-17 087.JPG

11-21-17 078.JPG

11-21-17 069.JPG

Edited by Yooper Rocketman
Oriented Pictures and added two
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For a few of you with some interest in the project, I posted quite a bit more info and pictures here;

Removed link as recent change to Lancair forum now requires a log in and password.  WIll work on adding more photos here.

Tom

Edited by Yooper Rocketman
Link now only works for registered users
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

It won't let us on without a username and password.

Sorry, that must be a recent change.  I've viewed the forum many times in the past without being logged in, but just tried now and it requires the same for me.  Sorry.  I'll pull the link and work on posting more photos here.

Tom

I was able to cut and copy my post from the Lancair forum.  See next post.......

Final Bodywork for Paint Prep

Postby Tom Sullivan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 am

Well, I just completed an almost 2 month stretch of intense bodywork, prepping the plane for some serious time in Brad Simmon's shop sometime this winter. I had a lot of stuff crop up in the first 165 hours, sooooo glad I did not go into paint right away, as I was able to address these things before final paint.

Just completed a major portion of Brad and my squawk list yesterday and flew for the first time since September.

Tom
ATTACHMENTS
11-21-17 041.JPG
LE of the baggage door was "PROUD", after fitting perfectly before flying. Brad said the flanges needed beefing up, more CF, but I also tried to install a bit less curve to the LE while installing 4 bids on the flange. In the end, realized the gas strut (added during the test flight hours) was the culprit in the door edge coming out .040". Will be looking for a weaker strut when I get some time, but it's fitting really nice now.
11-21-17 037.JPG
The door fit was perfect before initial flights. We suspect pressurization cycles, baking in the sun, and one incident with the door left open in Florida for 1.5 hours when sunny and hot, the door tweaked by about .050" at the center making it proud at the LE. I noticed when trying to depart after the Florida incident, the forward latches were sticking (sign of movement). Luckily I had been required to add micro and a top one ply of CF to get the door to match the fuselage after installing the FB door assy. I sanded that out until it was .010" low (so I could reinstall the CF). After doing the front door edge and getting it looking great, the back edge at .025" looked bad, so did the same on that edge.
11-21-17 013.JPG
Glass inset on both wing fairings to deal with pressurization derived cracks from fuselage pushing outward during every cycle. Cracks were addressed first before glass was inset. This is a really fun area to bodywork with a pretty complex set of curves (three compounds to work with).
11-21-17 010.JPG
Flaps with cracks at TE addressed and refit of gap to TE of wing. We had two issues here. Flap gap to wings was perfect when completed in my shop, but that was with wing supported at outboard edge. After wings hung and fuel added, the inboard and outboard edges of the wing to flap fit where actually TOUCHING. We suspected this was from a slight wing droop once the wings were no longer supported at the tips like they were during initial bodywork. Also, crack showed up along the TE of the flaps. This I suspect was from flexing at the seam of the top to bottom flap skin mating area. My flaps were closed at the factory during the builder assist, but (I believe) without adding a layer of carbon over the seam. I studied my build manual, and see no work on the flaps other than bodywork after the builders assist. The glass I added now should correct this issue. Also seen in this picture are the initial cracks in the wing fairing being addressed, as well as the chicken plate depressions along the rear bulkhead.
11-21-17 035.JPG
Flaps with Fiberglass reinforcement at TE where cracks had shown up. Had to sand down .006" recess to accept the glass with .001" micro over top for final finish. The glass is hard to see, being transparent, and having a thin layer of micro over it.
11-21-17 076.JPG
Flaps finally in WLS Primer
11-21-17 085.JPG
Flap Gap at .055" to .060" consistent along entire flap.
11-21-17 006.JPG
Cracks in both elevators in micro. Sanded down to carbon to verify nothing structural. Found micro a bit thick at the outboard 18" to get the elevators looking good. Installed new micro and then added glass reinforcement.
11-21-17 012.JPG
Elevators with .005" fiberglass reinforcement over previous crack area. Had to sand down .006" for glass so final bodywork had reinforcement within .001" of finished surface. Did same to both elevators. Glass bid has peel ply over it in this picture.
11-21-17 064.JPG
Elevators finally in WLS Primer
11-21-17 068.JPG
Chicken plate screws had depressions, even though hard points were made at every hole. Filled and WLS primed. Screws and holes in cowl are for my TKS (deice system) spray bar and deflector fairing. Screws installed for pressurization. John Cook said during initial pressurization flights (after we found this area losing pressurization) this was serving as my windshield "heating system".
11-21-17 069.JPG
Door jamb, added some fill to aft area for best door seal fit, down to thousands all the way around on seal before inflation. Also had pinholes that were filled for better appearance.
11-21-17 078.JPG
Sanded out with contrast primer, ready for WLS
11-21-17 079.JPG
Sanded out with contrast primer, ready for WLS
11-21-17 080.JPG
11-21-17 081.JPG
Tom Sullivan
sullivan2

•  
  •  

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Do you see dust in your dreams Tom?  I mean “Sand-Man” :)

By the time I was ready for final Primer I was taking allergy meds to get through it.  There definitely will not be a second composite build!!!

My next airplane project will be restoring a PA-16 Piper Clipper, a tube and fabric 1949 airplane my best friend/ cousin was working on when he died at 48 years old.  Will be a great plane to fly "low and slow" with for local pancake breakfasts and fish boils / hamburger socials with my grandson!!!

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

By the time I was ready for final Primer I was taking allergy meds to get through it.  There definitely will not be a second composite build!!!

My next airplane project will be restoring a PA-16 Piper Clipper, a tube and fabric 1949 airplane my best friend/ cousin was working on when he died at 48 years old.  Will be a great plane to fly "low and slow" with for local pancake breakfasts and fish boils / hamburger socials with my grandson!!!

Tom

grandson? Oh man you're old. Better gimme that lancair so you can slow down :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peevee said:

grandson? Oh man you're old. Better gimme that lancair so you can slow down :D

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

well if he started at 15, then his son/daughter started at 15 then he is only 30 or so now  :)  (thats what they do over here in what you guys call the "projects" they get a new house that way free of charge.  Good Wheeze!)

Well, if I would have had a child when first married and in the U.S. Army, that child would now be 42.  Carrying the same scenario forward, my grand child could be 23, with my great grand child being 4................................yet I am under the lowest Social Security retirement age (for another month anyway).

Tom

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, daver328 said:

Thanks for sharing Tom. 

To say I’m just “blown away” is an understatement ... 

I was just looking on the LASAR site yesterday wondering if a 201 Windshield Mod was worth the trouble for another 3 knots, and wondering if Sabretech’s going to get around to 65 Cs ... for his cowl mod ... and thinking I’m so far upside down in an old C, maybe I should just stop and fly it as it is? Makes my little world seem small, very small.

We love our converted D sure it would be nice to fly at plus 200 knot speeds but I cant see taking the knife to something that isnt broken and I would really wonder if the mod is going to gain a real world 3 knots. also how much time will be lost when you lose easy access to your avionics when repairs or service is needed, there goes your 3 knots out the window (pun intended)

Just fly it and enjoy