Yoopers Rocketman's Lancair

Look at that poor forlorn Mooney rocket in the background of the picture, feeling a little bit inferior sitting behind the turbine experimental beast.  

"Hey!  I used to be the apple of your eye and the fire breathing beast!  What's she have that I don't have? I have TKS.   I fly high.  I fly fast.  Sure that grey thing looks nice with that big engine prop set in the front, but don't come back to me smelling like jet A and expect me to take you places."

• Like 3

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Tom,

Do you have a paint scheme selected for the fire breathing dragon yet?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes.  Scheme designers took a crazy concept I have and brought it to life.  I will share at a later time.

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, peevee said:

Not for awhile like. . . Tomorrow? :)

I will still need paint and interior.  Will likely own the Rocket for another year anyway.

My engine builder is on his way up right now to conduct final checks on the install and hopefully run it today. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N213JC

If all goes well maybe I can post another video of it actually running.   If no complications, we get our airworthiness inspection tomorrow and maybe a first flight tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

After 17 1/2 years, this is getting exciting!!  You know you're getting close when the work sessions end at 3 AM.

Tom

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I will still need paint and interior.  Will likely own the Rocket for another year anyway.

My engine builder is on his way up right now to conduct final checks on the install and hopefully run it today. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N213JC

If all goes well maybe I can post another video of it actually running.   If no complications, we get our airworthiness inspection tomorrow and maybe a first flight tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

After 17 1/2 years, this is getting exciting!!  You know you're getting close when the work sessions end at 3 AM.

Tom

Filed for 335 knots.  That's gonna be you baby!

• Like 2

Well, it made noise for the first time today.  Airworthiness Inspection tomorrow and if we can knock out some electronics issues it might even fly soon.

Just a couple notes.  Yes, we forgot to reattach the nose gear actuating links after removing the lower cowl (swinging in the prop blast).  The red streamers hanging from the nose gear area are attached to a nose gear safety lock, to keep the gear from an undesirable retract.  The burp in the engine part way through is my engine guy testing the emergency fuel cut-off.

Tom

• Like 7

Well, it made noise for the first time today.  Airworthiness Inspection tomorrow and if we can knock out some electronics issues it might even fly soon.

Just a couple notes.  Yes, we forgot to reattach the nose gear actuating links after removing the lower cowl (swinging in the prop blast).  The red streamers hanging from the nose gear area are attached to a nose gear safety lock, to keep the gear from an undesirable retract.  The burp in the engine part way through is my engine guy testing the emergency fuel cut-off.
Tom

Not going to lie, that's the coolest thing I saw today.... I'm sure you as well. Congrats on another step closer to being airborne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I really like that funny-looking thing the fuel goes in, that makes the spinny-thing up front go round and round. Although if we could see inside it (hard since it's facing backwards), we'd see that it's ALSO a spinny-thing . . .

One of these was based with me for several years. They look great, smell funny taxiing by, and sound really cool in beta to stop on the runway. Exercising the prop while taxiing in is also a really cool sound!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

Good luck with it.  You are building my dream machine!  And as much as I would like one of these, it is beyond my budget.  I'll have to be satisfied with your Rocket when it comes on the Market.  I'll give it 6 months.