Garmin GTX-345 Software Configuration Problem

29-0363

I've just had the GTX345 installed in my G1000 equipped Ovation with S-Tec autopilot (29-0363) - one of the first installations in Australia.

Firstly the background of ADSB Down Under.

For some inexplicable reason, installation was mandated in Australia for IFR not later than the middle of 2017, which means we are the test subjects, and will pay a hefty premium.  About 10 years ago when ADSB was in the early implementation stage, the authorities were going to subsidise ADSB, but it's been conveniently forgotten.  Since then the cost has skyrocketed, not helped at all by the fact that early adopters of glass panels with S-Tec autopilots have not got any meaningful support from Mooney, and my feeling is Garmin only came out with a G1000 solution when they did to head off the competition. 

Anyway, having stumped up the money for the GTX-345 installation and expecting a positive result, the G1000 does not recognise the GTX345.  The only way to enable it is to go into the configuration menu, tell the G1000 the GTX345 is installed, and then it will display. When powered down, the configuration procedure has to be repeated.

I'm still not sure whether it's a software or hardware problem, but Garmin have been slow to resolve it.  My concerns are the longer the Ovation sits in the shop, the more cost it will attract, my aircraft is not available until the issue is resolved.  The avionics shop asked Garmin to replace the GTX345 but were told no,  there was too much of a backlog, so it seems Garmin care less about existing customers and more about new ones.

Garmin has had some major issues with the software on the G1000's for the 345 install. A recent T182t I delivered to a avionics shop was stalled for about 3 weeks due to Garmin and Cessna not playing nice together. Cessna finally released the software to enable the G1000 to see the 345. I amagin The moonies will be the same. I would venture to guess the phone calls need to go to Mooney and not Garmin. 

Good luck!!

-Matt

Garmin GTX 345R's are presently backordered according to Sarasota Avionics. I have ordered a unit from Sarasota avionics and by mid-May they expect to have a unit available for my ovation 3, at which time we will be installing the unit.  According to Monica Gualandri-email:monica@sarasotavionics.com-there IS software compatibility with the GTX 345, however it will only avail you to traffic until another software upgrade is available. Monica is presently at training with Garman this week so she should have the latest information available for us.

As an aside, sarasota avionics is also a Mooney service center.

Good luck, I will  keep you posted on my install as it happens.

Blaine Hoffman

Ocala, Florida

Ouch...that is not a good start. I haven't ordered yet, waiting to see what Mooney will do about the whole WAAS/ADSB muddle, but am assuming there is a GTX 345 in my future.

Please keep us posted if you don't mind....there is a  bunch of us in the same boat.

Robert

According to this http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/garmin-unveils-next-generation-all-one-ads-b-transponders

Comprehensive Display Compatibility

In addition to G1000, the GTX 345 integrates with thousands of installed displays to provide the benefits of ADS-B In, further extending existing avionics investments. This initially includes the popular GTN 650/750 touchscreen navigators and GNS 430W/530W navigators, aera 796/795, Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight Mobile and other third-party avionics. Compatibility is extended to the G3X™ Touch glass flight display and is expected in Q3 2016. Support for G500/G600 is also expected in Q2 2016. 

Since its talking about integrating with other Garmin PFD's in Q2 and Q3 2016, maybe they haven't worked out all the quirks on the various G1000's yet either?  I am pretty sure I read something about the G1000 needing the latest software.  Some OEM's may be slower than others rolling it out?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally..........................

My Garmin GTX-345 software configuration problem is resolved.  

Apparently there was a conflict with the Avidyne TAS-610 and it was resolved between my tech and Garmin, requiring some minor wiring reconfiguration.  It didn't help that this was the first installation done in Australia but it's fixed now, so all I need to do is wait for a sunny day and go fly.

A happy ending.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 29-0363 said:

Finally..........................

My Garmin GTX-345 software configuration problem is resolved.  

Apparently there was a conflict with the Avidyne TAS-610 and it was resolved between my tech and Garmin, requiring some minor wiring reconfiguration.  It didn't help that this was the first installation done in Australia but it's fixed now, so all I need to do is wait for a sunny day and go fly.

A happy ending.

Would you mind sharing this wiring reconfiguration solution, as this is a common with some of the GX Mooneys and others will be facing this same issue.

• Like 1

I had a discussion with my Avionics Technician today, who explained the issue I had seemed to be confined to G1000 with TAS-610 active traffic.  The wiring schematic supplied by Garmin showed two heading outputs from the G1000 to both the TAS-610 and GTX-345, while there was a separate heading signal from the GTX-345 to the TAS-610.  The solution was source the TAS-610 heading signal via the GTX-345 only.  

I was also told my installation was the very first in Australia, and the techs here deserve some recognition from Garmin for doing their R&D for them.

Edited by 29-0363
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 29-0363 said:

I had a discussion with my Avionics Technician today, who explained the issue I had seemed to be confined to G1000 with TAS-610 active traffic.  The wiring schematic supplied by Garmin showed two heading outputs from the G1000 to both the TAS-610 and GTX-345, while there was a separate heading signal from the GTX-345 to the TAS-610.  The solution was source the TAS-610 heading signal via the GTX-345 only.  

I was also told my installation was the very first in Australia, and the techs here deserve some recognition from Garmin for doing their R&D for them.

Thanks, that is very helpful as I'm sure a number of us (including me) are flying with a TAS-610 or -605.

9 hours ago, 29-0363 said:

Thanks so much for posting this! I'll forward this thread to Trek Lawler at Garmin. Hopefully he'll be able to disseminate the information to the dealer/installer network.

I'll add to the story.

We just had a GTX345 installed no Flightsteam (it's not worth $1000 to me to be able to upload a flight plan).  We have a GTN650.  I went to pick it up yesterday.  Started up and started updating settings for the new version of the GTN software.

1.  Since we have the 345, not the 345R, we had it configured to not use remote transponder control.  That way I could set up a button under the frequencies to take us to the checklist for emergencies.

2.  Started setting all the changes and could not find one for traffic overlay to display traffic on the GTN!  Then we noticed that on the Home page, the button to go to the traffic page was grayed out.  Also, on the GTX, in the SYS menu there was no 'bluetooth ON' menu item to start the pairing process.  Shut down and go back in to talk to the installers.  They call Garmin.

3.  Turns out you MUST set up the GTN/GTX for remote control or you don't get ADS-B TIS/FIS on the GTN.  Installer changes the configuration and ADS-B info is now accessible on the GTN.  How silly.  I can now use the GTX to set my squawk code or save myself 3" of reach and do it on the GTN but I lose that button to take me to the checklist.  Bluetooth menu still not available on the GTX for pairing.  Another call to Garmin.

4.  The Garmin GTX345 operations manual is wrong.  You don't use the GTX to pair with the GTX, you use the GTN to pair with the GTX.  What?  I'm guessing the 'bluetooth ON' menu item is only available when you have the GTX with the internal GPS, not when using an external GPS source.  Anyway, to pair, you have to go to the GTN home page and scroll to the bottom.  Touch the Connext button and then pair the device.  For some reason, my Android phone could not see the GTX but the pilot I was flying with could see it on his phone.  Oh bother!  Has to be my phone.

By the time we got all that done, we decided to bag it for the day.  We'll go out today and see if it all works in flight.

More to follow.

Hello everyone,

my apologies for not seeing this thread as I don't look in this forum very often. I want to make sure the record is perfectly clear on this issue as I've been asked by a handful of Mooney G1000 customers and was pointed to this. I worked directly with our Field Service team who was assisting with this Australian installation. This was not an issue with the wiring not properly identified in the install manual as when I received the first reports of this issue I actually loaded the system and wiring in one of our test beds and verified it all worked correctly. the problem was that when there is a third party traffic system installed this system has to now be wired through the GTX 345R system and disabled from the original configuration of the G1000 system. this was unfortunately overlooked in the install manual and was causing the issues that was being seen. this is one of the main reasons during the latest AEA nationals here in April we spent 3 of our 6 hours of training talking to this to our dealers. it is a very confusing install as there is some mindset changes when it comes to the G1000 system interface that need to be followed specifically with how the manual is written. if you do have a dealer that is having problems with the G1000 interface please don't hesitate to have them call me or my Field Service team and we will be happy to assist.

let me know if there are any questions,

Trek,

What is the best way to raise a flag for you?

This way if one of the Garmin users mentions a G issue.  We can send them in the proper direction...

I usually say something like 'ask Trek, he's around here somewhere...'

Thank you for your continued support of our community,

-a-

Hello,

when I said I don't monitor this forum i was talking about the "Modern Mooney Discussion" area. I usually stay in the Avionics area. I try and keep up on 8 different forums now so as you can imagine sometimes it is a couple of days to get to each one. But if there is an urgent question you can always send me a personal message and it usually flags me.

Have a good weekend,

• Like 1