Bay Area Flight Schools Help

Seth

We all want to see Samurai Husky fly.  Let's help him out.  Some of this info is in the other threads but let's put it in one place:

List flight schools with aircraft, pricing, and a website if possible in the Bay Area so SH may find more leads to follow up on.

A big school, mom and pop shop - doesn't matter.  List it.

Let's get SH trained right!

SH: We do support you.

-Seth

I highly recommend the San Carlos Flight Center, at San Carlos and Palo Alto. About two years ago they were deemed the Best Flight School in the US by AOPA. They have well over 25 aircraft ranging from Cessna 152s to helicopters, twins, and aerobatic aircraft. Safety seminars almost every Wednesday night, workshops on Saturdays, and a cross wind training apparatus in one of their hangars. A real class operation.

• Like 1

SH, forget the Bay Area. Take a couple of weeks off work, fly commercial to Abilene Texas. I'll come pick you up. You can stay with us, I've got two spare rooms because kids are in college. There's a CFI here that will charge $25 an hour. He's an ATP pilot and has been flying his entire life from gliders to crop dusters and everything in between. You can get your check ride from a designee that probably has given more check rides than than any designee in the country. You'll have a choice between a 150 or 172, I'd take the 172. It rents for $100 an hour wet. Multiple airports to gain experience, from a grass strip that's a couple of miles away to towered airports within sixty miles. Not much traffic so you can concentrate on flying. When you get back to the Bay Area you can fly with a CFI until your comfortable communicating and flying in the heavy traffic. Problem solved......unless you don't have vacation.....

• Like 4

I was thinking about doing something like that this morning, but i dont have the PTO time. I have a friend coming out from the midwest this week that I took a week off for (lol, but i told him i have a plane booked so i am sneaking away for a few hours). I have a wedding in the summer and i have Xmas and TG that i already put time in for.

If i get a big project and rack up some OT then I will take you up on your offer for sure! As long as I can bring the dogies, because i have no where to go with them.

25 minutes ago, 1524J said:

SH, forget the Bay Area. Take a couple of weeks off work, fly commercial to Abilene Texas. I'll come pick you up. You can stay with us, I've got two spare rooms because kids are in college. There's a CFI here that will charge $25 an hour. He's an ATP pilot and has been flying his entire life from gliders to crop dusters and everything in between. You can get your check ride from a designee that probably has given more check rides than than any designee in the country. You'll have a choice between a 150 or 172, I'd take the 172. It rents for $100 an hour wet. Multiple airports to gain experience, from a grass strip that's a couple of miles away to towered airports within sixty miles. Not much traffic so you can concentrate on flying. When you get back to the Bay Area you can fly with a CFI until your comfortable communicating and flying in the heavy traffic. Problem solved......unless you don't have vacation.....

That's what I'm talking about!! Stepping up with a generous offering. Beg, borrow and steal for a deal like this. Good on ya 1524J :) 

-Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

I was thinking about doing something like that this morning, but i dont have the PTO time. I have a friend coming out from the midwest this week that I took a week off for (lol, but i told him i have a plane booked so i am sneaking away for a few hours). I have a wedding in the summer and i have Xmas and TG that i already put time in for.

If i get a big project and rack up some OT then I will take you up on your offer for sure! As long as I can bring the dogies, because i have no where to go with them.

Dogs are welcome but they'd have to stay outside with our Lab. Wife loves animals but not so much in the house. I've got a 15' x 25' shop for the Lab. Even if you get a away for a long weekend, you need to get somewhere outside of the Bay Area and fly without all the distractions. Offer stands whenever you're ready.

• Like 1

Was going to do this anyway but this thread provides a nice place to park this. I understand Sam may have contractual issues with his current commitment and he said he made some calls to other schools with little success. So today while on break I used my stupid phone and found

San Carlos Flight does primary training has available 152 and 172 and instructors 650 946 1700

Hayward Flight does primary training has available aircraft and instructors 510 259 0824

Flying Vikings (Hayward) does both 141 and pt61 does primary training has available aircraft and instructors 510 670 4719

Attitude Aviation does primary training has available aircraft and instructors. (rent the 152 do fully developed spins and loop the loop) try that in a Cirrus...

attached is a sheet from Attitude showing rates. I went 4 for 4 on these schools There are LOTS MORE in the Bay Area

Rates 20160401.pdf

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bonal said:

Was going to do this anyway but this thread provides a nice place to park this. I understand Sam may have contractual issues with his current commitment and he said he made some calls to other schools with little success. So today while on break I used my stupid phone and found

San Carlos Flight does primary training has available 152 and 172 and instructors 650 946 1700

Hayward Flight does primary training has available aircraft and instructors 510 259 0824

Flying Vikings (Hayward) does both 141 and pt61 does primary training has available aircraft and instructors 510 670 4719

Attitude Aviation does primary training has available aircraft and instructors. (rent the 152 do fully developed spins and loop the loop) try that in a Cirrus...

attached is a sheet from Attitude showing rates. I went 4 for 4 on these schools There are LOTS MORE in the Bay Area

Rates 20160401.pdf

That's quite the selections...Wish there was access to that kind of fleet in my area :)

Oh heck those poor flight schools are probably thinking there is a bus load of students coming .

I too called 

Attitude Aviation

Livermore Airport

925 -456 -2276

I spoke to Rodger. 4/18/2016 @ 6:15 pm (eastern time )

He says they have changed up their format a bit and the big radial Texan is gone and all the aerobatic planes too. A Pitts will be returning in a few months.

They are operating Cessna 172s and Pa 28s etc See the list TWINTER posted .

They have several instructors who can work with you. They are “well-staffed” and can work around just about any schedule

The 172 is about $129-$155 /hr wet, the difference is the avionics installed

Well I'm thinking maybe I'll go out there to do my biannual and see the big red bridge.

carl

Here is the list of instructors . at  attitude aviation . 

Approved List of CFI’s

Mike Becker (925) 726-9051
mbecker48324@comcast.net

CFI, CFII, MEI
Bonanza, Cessna, Piper

Tammy Burton (925) 487-5385

tammara.gb@gmail.com
CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
Cessna, Piper

Steve Neighbor (925) 323-9549

mailto:stevenneighbor@gmail.com
CFI, CFII, MEI, TW
Cessna, Citabria, Waco, T6, Piper

Rich Perkins (925) 337-2156

rich@acmeaerosports.com
CFI, TW

John P. Quayle (925) 989-4008

QuayleAviation@gmail.com

CFI, CFII, TW

Cessna, Citabria, Piper

Jim Riddiough (916) 716-5036

mjriddiough64@gmail.com
CFI, CFII
Cessna, Piper

John Sausedo (559) 908-7113

clutchcargo2002@gmail.com
CFI, TW
Cessna, Citabria, Piper, Waco, T6

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Rates 20160401.pdf

That's what I'm talking about!

32 minutes ago, FlyDave said:

Hmmmmm..... Sam-o-rye not quick to respond here

Hold on ,I know some IT guys in the Oakland area and they "sometimes" have to work, they are in locked rooms and stay in there for days on end. Really. So my guess is he is off line .

carl

Just now, carl said:

Hold on ,I know some IT guys in the Oakland area and they "sometimes" have to work, they are in locked rooms and stay in there for days on end. Really. So my guess is he is off line .

carl

Or just locked away.....

• Like 1

I just returned from Oakland flying out of KOAK.  Knocked out my ATP before my written test expired and I had to start over.  I flew in and out of Livermore, Tracy and Stockton.  Most of the students talking to NORCAL APP were not primary English speakers.  I did enjoy the exasperated controllers trying to get the pilots to follow their directions. 

Saw quite a few Mooney's parked at Top Gun in Stockton.  The school located inside Atlantic Aviation speared to be a Korean Air primary school.  Also they all flew in button down white shirts and ties, no way I would pay for that.

I can get you the name of a DPE in the area once you get to that point.  The gentleman I did my ATP check with has been a DPE for 34 years and has better than 6000 evaluations under his belt along with 30,000+ hours.

yea, same with my club; There are a ton of people from Singapore getting their commercial license. I spoke to one of them since i was introduced to him by my CFI. Really nice guy and he is renting the same plane as me; But he basically said that the US is spoiled because it was half as much money to fly to the US on a visa and get his commercial then it was to live at his parents house and get a commercial in Singapore. 

25 minutes ago, Samurai Husky said:

yea, same with my club; There are a ton of people from Singapore getting their commercial license. I spoke to one of them since i was introduced to him by my CFI. Really nice guy and he is renting the same plane as me; But he basically said that the US is spoiled because it was half as much money to fly to the US on a visa and get his commercial then it was to live at his parents house and get a commercial in Singapore. 

Same story on the east coast with European students here in Florida.

José

2 hours ago, carl said:

Here is the list of instructors . at  attitude aviation . 

Approved List of CFI’s

Mike Becker (925) 726-9051
mbecker48324@comcast.net

CFI, CFII, MEI
Bonanza, Cessna, Piper

Tammy Burton (925) 487-5385

tammara.gb@gmail.com
CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
Cessna, Piper

Steve Neighbor (925) 323-9549

mailto:stevenneighbor@gmail.com
CFI, CFII, MEI, TW

Rich Perkins (925) 337-2156

rich@acmeaerosports.com
CFI, TW

John P. Quayle (925) 989-4008

QuayleAviation@gmail.com

CFI, CFII, TW

Cessna, Citabria, Piper

Jim Riddiough (916) 716-5036

mjriddiough64@gmail.com
CFI, CFII
Cessna, Piper

John Sausedo (559) 908-7113

clutchcargo2002@gmail.com
CFI, TW
Cessna, Citabria, Piper, Waco, T6

HA, They just called me back now.... I left a VM with them yesterday. 

I also got a few emails from some CFI's; One was in SPAM, the other came in while i was in my lesson.

So you are right, maybe things are just dire at my club and not everywhere, the lesson i learned, dont blab on the internet that you tried everywhere when its a Sunday and most places are closed. 

Doors are opening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

I had a lesson see the solo thread. 

I owe a lot of people here lunch (at a minimum); If you guys are ever in town drop me a line an the type of food you like i will set it up. 

Make it lets fly somewhere - lunch on me - you'll have more takers - plus you get a ride in a Mooney!

-Seth