GTN 750 Power On and Off

Dear All, I recently upgraded to GTN 750 and I noticed that there is no switch to turn it on and off. Everything appears to be under the radio master, moreover when I switch off the radio master the shut  down of the GTN comes abruptly and not gradually as it was with my old GPS. Is it normal?

7 minutes ago, Pier Marco said:

Dear All, I recently upgraded to GTN 750 and I noticed that there is no switch to turn it on and off. Everything appears to be under the radio master, moreover when I switch off the radio master the shut  down of the GTN comes abruptly and not gradually as it was with my old GPS. Is it normal?

Yes.

I installed a 635 in an experimental. The one I installed didn't have a switch or radio bus... 

I always pull the CB prior to start on the unit. However, another R44 I flew for about 20hrs, it's 430 was always on as well. No radio master. The owner had left it on for over a thousand hours. No radio issues. 

I think newer avionics are less likely to be affected by current fluctuations than say your older avionics we were all taught to work with. 

-Matt

My 750 installation by a certified Garmin shop includes an avionics master and a separate master for the Aspen. But in addition every item in the panel has its own CB - the 750 has 2 - NAV & COM. Sometimes it is necessary to recycle or shut down a single device after startup, even in flight. Well labeled CBs are an important feature in a proper installation.2012-12-07_10-41-21_999.jpg 

2012-12-07_10-42-59_180.jpg

100_2707.JPG

• Like 1

Modern avionics have circuitry to handle 14v/28v and also isolate the sensitive electronics from voltage spikes on power up, there is no special handling of the on/off switch.

The old turn off radio master before shutdown SOP is from the old days. If you have an old 14v only avionics its probably still a good idea.

Welcome aboard Pier Marco.

What part of the world do you hail from?

Take some time to fill in some data in your avatar area...

I still like the electronics buss switch and the alternator switch. Alternators and their controllers don't always behave very well.

Best regards,

-a-