buying a used windshield mod

Looks like an M20E (early 60s) which has been sitting in my mechanic's hangar for a year is going to be parted out, as the extensive corrosion on the wing has made it uneconomical to repair and not airworthy. 

It has the windshield mod, and I have been looking to fit one to my 1967 M20F. I am tempted to bid for the parts but wondering if it is worth it, as surely there would be considerable hassle dismantling it and re-fitting it on mine. The mechanic didn't seem to think it was such as crazy idea however when I suggested it. I haven't looked at it in detail yet but I think it is an SWTA mod rather than the Lasar one (assuming it is because the avionics access panels are there while the Lasar one doesn't?). I know SWTA are out of the mods biz, but how would one get around paperwork wise? Ask them for the STC or the installation instructions? On the other hand the parts are still available at LASAR and unless I get at an extremely low price I doubt it is worth the hassle. It also has the cowl closure (not a full cowl mod), maybe that's worth something too (how different is the cowl to the F?). 

What do others think?

Edited by podair

I purchased the kit mentioned above from Joe and I think it was $100 we gave Russel to transfer the stc.  This was a new kit that had never been installed and the owner knew Russell. I also talked to him about transferring the stc to some other parts that had already been installed and he would not do it, even for more money. Call the new owners and offer up some money and see what happens. 

34 minutes ago, Marauder said: Do you know the size of the glass used? Thickness?

I don't have any idea about the glass or the mod... I just know JD and know he bought the business from Russell and owns all the STC's now.

Okie dokie. I will give them a call. I'm looking at glass replacement and need to know what I have.

The kit I got was 1/4". In talking with Russell a couple of years ago he told me he used a custom window and part number but that it shared the same shape as the standard 201 window. He did say that it would take more trimming to get the regular window to fit his mod. I suppose the good news is that the windows don't have a part number marked into them .