Let's talk about tires...

Raptor05121

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Make sure you take off with no flaps, run Aeroshell 100W with no Camgaurd and run LOP for a while. Perhaps a touch and go would be a good test?

You got it mixed up. If you run LOP, you have to run Camguard with Phillips but if you take off without flaps, then fly ROP and do touch n goes with Aeroshell. Don't get confused! :lol:

1 hour ago, 201er said:

You got it mixed up. If you run LOP, you have to run Camguard with Phillips but if you take off without flaps, then fly ROP and do touch n goes with Aeroshell. Don't get confused! :lol:

Hey, wow! I know you were being sarcastic, but that's me! Us C drivers don't do LOP very well . . . .

5 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Tell ya what

I'm going to just buy some retreads. I'll let you guys know if I live after the first landing.

Just be careful with retreads. Some of them are oversize and bind in the wheel wells when you run retract them. Seriously.

Another OWT. Like most, it makes a believable story but no evidence of it happening. First of all the retread tire must meet the same dimensions as the original item. Airlines run retread and new tires side by side on the same axle.  The notable exception is the desser Monster retread.  It is slightly larger. 

Anyway this should never happen to a retract airplane, mostly because the gear should be swing on jacks before releasing the aircraft to service.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got the new tire. After 4 years, I'm down to 20% tread give or take. Some areas thinner probably from sliding sideways in crosswinds. Probably could have gone a good bit longer but I'd kick myself if I had a flat because I cheaped out on a tire.  

edit--actually I was confused.  The other side was changed in 2013.  This tire was on the plane prior to 2011 when I bought it, so it held up for 6+ years.

• 11 months later...

All this talk of tires and I feel as though tubes are an even more important consideration. As a data point I am very disappointed to report that the 3 year old Michelin Airstop on my left main suffered a total failure for unknown reasons. It took near full power to taxi 200 feet to park. The Wilkerson retreads held up well with no visible damage and have for years with great success. Bad day...no one at the this particular airport on a Sunday, not a single open building save for a unisex porta potty. Then the rain came...

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yetti said:

"total failure" is not enough information.  It's like saying "my computer broke"   Stem snapped off, blew out with big flapping piece.  Give us the dish man.

Three small splits on the side of the tube. No corresponding marks on tire, no FOD in tire, no signs of trauma, rubbing or abrading...just three small splits about 1/3 of an inch apart.  Tires and tubes installed at annual in August 2015.  I always buy the best tubes I can and up until now, I had complete confidence in Michelin. I’m sure it was a fluke, but what a PITA. I got the plane home but the things that needed to fall into place for that to happen were just short of miraculous.

15 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Sounds like the result of taxiing with the tire flat. But no clue as to why the tire went flat.

I had not considered that the blowout was something other than those splits.  It did inflate when I tried back in my hangar but only because the volume in was greater than the leak from the splits.  I never though to thoroughly check the stem.  It was indeed a total tire bead off the rim kind of blow out.  Lucky the rim never contacted asphalt.

Funny that I had a similar experience a week ago Sunday...fortunately nearly in front of my hangar vs the unattended fuel stop on the way home! Tire was FC 3 and tube was a Michelin Airstop. Unfortunately the line guys and I managed to slip the gear off the dolly while getting it into my hangar, resulting in a crunched big gear door...

I couldn't find any FOD evidence inside or outside the tire. The tube had a single small hole on the sidewall, away from the tread and the wheel! I hadn't checked the pressure in a while, but the other side still had 30 psi on the same setup.

Back to the gear door...couldn't source a good used one quickly, but Don Maxwell came thru with his in-house sheet metal whiz. I'll post more later after I get it back from paint tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Funny that I had a similar experience a week ago Sunday...fortunately nearly in front of my hangar vs the unattended fuel stop on the way home! Tire was FC 3 and tube was a Michelin Airstop. Unfortunately the line guys and I managed to slip the gear off the dolly while getting it into my hangar, resulting in a crunched big gear door...

I couldn't find any FOD evidence inside or outside the tire. The tube had a single small hole on the sidewall, away from the tread and the wheel! I hadn't checked the pressure in a while, but the other side still had 30 psi on the same setup.

Back to the gear door...couldn't source a good used one quickly, but Don Maxwell came thru with his in-house sheet metal whiz. I'll post more later after I get it back from paint tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

My pressure was dead on as I checked it before the flight. In my case, while there were no services at the field, there did happen to be a very sad Mooney on the field where my tire blew. I made a few phone calls and well...when in West Virginia.

45B94930-E2F4-4AEF-A996-2F38656EC838.jpeg

• Like 1

hard landing recently?   Small spits generally called snake bites are usually from the rim cutting the tube.  Like someone said driving on the flat to the hanger..... but the first one may have been done with a hard landing.  Otherwise check around the stem for leaks.  

27 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

My pressure was dead on as I checked it before the flight. In my case, while there were no services at the field, there did happen to be a very sad Mooney on the field where my tire blew. I made a few phone calls and well...when in West Virginia.

Whereabouts in West-by-God, Virginny? That's where I got my PPL, IA and Mooney.

5 minutes ago, Yetti said:

hard landing recently?   Small spits generally called snake bites are usually from the rim cutting the tube.  Like someone said driving on the flat to the hanger..... but the first one may have been done with a hard landing.  Otherwise check around the stem for leaks.  

My guess is that at some point in its life the plane was operated when that tire was low and it damaged the tube.  Aircraft tires can’t be eyeballed reliably. Shortly after this incident I flag to see model down at the fuel farm right before he started up because I saw his right main Tire looked visibly low.  He was in a hurry and visibly annoyed but took me up on my offer to air the tire up. His tire measured 14lbs of pressure. It looked low but not flat. I almost didn’t say anything but was motivated by my recent experience.

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

Whereabouts in West-by-God, Virginny? That's where I got my PPL, IA and Mooney.

Potomac Airpark. Right on the river. I had no reason to go there other than it was the closest airport to me when my front seat passenger started to go pale. It was all for not though if she had emptied the contents of her stomach into a sick bag by short final.

6 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

. . . it was the closest airport to me when my front seat passenger started to go pale. It was all for not though if she had emptied the contents of her stomach into a sick bag by short final.

BTDT, my wife's cousin had to wash her tshirt in the FBO, and i bought a new microphone cover. Didn't have to scrub inside the plane, though. The dangers of a zoom lens on a bumpy afternoon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

BTDT, my wife's cousin had to wash her tshirt in the FBO, and i bought a new microphone cover. Didn't have to scrub inside the plane, though. The dangers of a zoom lens on a bumpy afternoon!

She really wanted to get some pics of her mother’s house on a hot day with light chop. She couldn’t find the house.

“Go left”

”Go right”

”wait, go back”

”ok go right”

”wait, please level the wings...I’m not well”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

She really wanted to get some pics of her mother’s house on a hot day with light chop. She couldn’t find the house.

“Go left”

”Go right”

”wait, go back”

”ok go right”

”wait, please level the wings...I’m not well”

Yep, that's how it went for me. She lasted 15-20 minutes, not quite long enough to get on the ground with a straight-in while someone waited at the hold short.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 10:48 PM, Tommy said:

Again, anecdotal evidence. Is there anyway you can be 100% certain that the same damage won't happen if the FCIII was fitted instead of AeroTrainer? 

Anecdotal for sure, but the FCIII's have MUCH thicker sidewall. I can stand up on a FCIII tire by itself, no rim. I can deform an AeroTrainer in both hands with minimal force