Bravo lower cowl removal, solo. Lancecasper & Irish Tiger

Tony Armour

Loosen every fastener except the top rear on each side. All except those two can be loosened and the cowl stays in place with just a little bottom center pressure for safety (not necessary though) Then kneeling on one side undo that fastener, come down behind/under the prop while holding upward pressure at the bottom, on the knees slightly on the other side and undo that fastener, upward pressure still has the cowling in place. Both hands supporting the cowling and lower it down, Back into place is almost a reverse procedure. Get those two back top fasteners in and then gentle pressure will allow to get the other rear fasteners in. The hardest thing going back on is keeping the two rubber hoses sticking thru the hole. Really, I had rather do it myself (no surprise there) that way you don't have two people fighting each other. 

• Like 4

A couple of observations I would add:

Put something larger and softer on the floor before removing the last two fasteners - for one it makes it easier on the knees, and you can also lower the cowl to the floor after removing the last fastener without fear of scratching it. The other thing I find is that I can use one of my size 11's under the cowl to stop it falling down on removal, or support it when replacing. Otherwise that's pretty much exactly as I do it.

• Like 1

Tony,

Looks pretty easy getting it off and your process makes perfect sense. I think putting it back on would seem a bit more difficult.

I'll try both with a "safety pilot" making sure I don't do anything stupid.

Thanks!

Dave

Finished up the oil change today. Found a loosened connector, the reason my fuel pump wouldn't come on by itself at full throttle. 

In the beginning of the video I touch the two hoses that need to be pushed into their hole in the cowl while installing. Very difficult to get thru there after the cowl is in place 100%. Note the use of my leg and knee at different times to hold it up. Pretty much the same as taking it off .....one top fastener on each side will hold it.

Edited by Tony Armour
  • Like 2

On April 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM, steingar said:

I bet you didn't have to pound a wood chisel into your oil filter to get the thing off!

No, with 25 hour oil changes it stays pretty free. But, I have done the drive the screwdriver thru the filter trick on several cars :-)

5 hours ago, IrishTiger said:

Oh thanks Tony!!! If you have a hangar I need to use it one of these days now that it's getting hot out. My boost pump does not work at full throttle any longer either. I figured it's just a loose connector. I might need your expertise on that one. And I am just about due for an oil change, so I'll be up in Dalton to see Joey here shortly.

Does the Rocker switch on the instrument panel still turn on the Boost Pump? If it still does then it must be the microswitch on the throttle.

If the Boost Pump doesn't come on with the Rocker Switch either, I wouldn't fly it until it's fixed. It's required equipment p. 2-11 POH.

Just don't take it over to Epps :)

• Like 1

On April 22, 2016 at 9:35 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Does the Rocker switch on the instrument panel still turn on the Boost Pump? If it still does then it must be the microswitch on the throttle.

If the Boost Pump doesn't come on with the Rocker Switch either, I wouldn't fly it until it's fixed. It's required equipment p. 2-11 POH.

Just don't take it over to Epps :)

Or the connector.

The connector is round, the type that has the male/female threads outside on the housing....one side screws onto the other. There are two of them on the copilots side of engine near firewall just inside the cowling (but only one is for the boost pump) You can trace the wire from the micro switch on the throttle cable. Kinda opposite side but same location as the wastegate. I think this is the second time mine has come loose in three years. I fully checked out the micro switch and then tried the connector, opposite of what I should have done because the connector is the easiest fix. :-)

• 2 months later...

Tony,

I tried this one-man installation of the lower cowl tonight after an oil change. WOW, that was EASY! And I didn't have to explain to someone else how to do it and watch them mash the cowl around trying to get the top camlock on :P.

Thanks for the videos!

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...