iPad Charging on a 28 volt system

PlaneDrvr99

So I have a 94 M20J with a 28 volt system. I would like to have my iPad and ADS-B Receiver plugged into a USB plug. Problem is, I think my cigarette plug is 28 volt. 

I saw a usb charger by mygoflight that is supposed to accept 28 volts but it has received really bad reviews. A couple people have even stated that it destroyed their iPads and Stratus receivers...

Thoughts ?

I bought these and they charge my iPad Air2 faster than any 120v charger with no adverse effects. They're also low profile so they don't get in the way of yoke rotation or knees.

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-iPhone-Samsung-Galaxy-Powerful/dp/B00M6QODH2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Some 24V planes have added a step down transformer to power their cigarette plug.  

Any electric device properly sold in the US will have a label that is readable.  The acceptable input range is easy to read and understand.

if it says 12v input, that would be bad...it doesn't mean 24v may be OK.

The one Dave pointed to is good for 12/24v.  It says so on the product description...

The good news...  There are many cars and trucks that have gone to 24v systems as well.

Read the package before buying....

Best regards,

-a-

I'm curious if the panel 24v -> 12v converter with a 12v -> 5v USB adapter (stacking converters) causes problems for a stable current?  That is the setup I've been using for a few years and both iPads have worked flawlessly but I know for AC currents most electronics prefer a single power converter / supply.

Converters have a tendency to use up more power overall.  It is probably a case by case situation if adding the two cause an interference problem...

my car doesn't have much protection for interference.  The audio system makes you aware of the strange sounds being generated.  I test in the car first before plugging in the plane.  My cigarette lighter is 24V in the plane.

A good aviation specific converter like the one in the plane already, can adsorb/filter some of the other noise being delivered by the portable devices that get plugged in.

One day we will all go 24V.  Probably measure distances in km by then...

Best regards,

-a-

I went through multiple different configurations of cigarette lighter adapters, all of which would continue to drain my iPad while plugged in. Griffin and all of the other cigarette lighter adapters I tried did not work, (I tried at least 5 of them) or if they did, they would charge my ipad only if turned off, but would not maintain charge if iPad was turned on.

The two solutions which work perfectly are:

1) Purchase a 28V DC to 110V AC Inverter with a cigarette lighter adapter plug (around $35) you can pick them up at most electronic stores that sell auto accessories. Then plug in your original iPad power plug into the 110V outlet and you will have continuous power with no drain and charge of your iPad even at full brightness. 

2) Install a Dual USB port hardwired to your electronics (~500.00 + Install). This also works fine, but costs more. I bought two TA 102 units for my airplane as I had a few gadgets that I wanted to keep USB charged. But the cheaper solution above also works fine.

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/ta102/#

14 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Or buy an Avidyne IFD (550, 540, 440, etc, etc) :) 

They have a USB plug on the front that charges devices. 

Best part of the 540. Also the most expensive iphone charger in the world :-)

i bought a mygoflight cig charger at SnF, I hope it doesn't burn my stuff up !

Edited by Tony Armour

5 hours ago, IrishTiger said:

Both of the specs on those say 24V.... So are you just chancing it on the 28V system? I'm not that into electronics, so I don't know much about wattage and amperage but I try and do my best. I know what my work plane needs and puts out, and what the Mooney needs and puts out. lol. Anything else, I'll call an electrician!!! :P 

Ryan,

No problems using it on the 28v system. The batteries in both of our airplanes (M20M) are 24v, yet our alternators put out 28v. The voltage regulator, properly adjusted, keeps everyone happy.

Lance

Ryan,

Our "28 volt" systems have alternators that put out 28v to charge a 24v battery. Note that in a "12 volt" system the alternator is putting out ~13.8v to charge a 12v battery.

To charge a battery you must provide a higher voltage (potential) than the battery being charged.

Dave

They use the word 'nominal' to describe this situation.

My 24V nominal system is charged at up to 28 volts, actual.

My gill battery charger, charges my gill battery up to 26V before stopping the charge.

The engineers in the electronics world have given us two significant options to work with,  12V and 24V.

The IPad engineers have made their system a bit flexible as well,  a few percent one way or the other, just not 2X.

The label on my new charger is a little confusing.  It says 'car charger' right on it.  I know it doesn't charge my car.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 11 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 8:30 PM, Tony Armour said:

Best part of the 540. Also the most expensive iphone charger in the world :-)

i bought a mygoflight cig charger at SnF, I hope it doesn't burn my stuff up !

The mygoflight charger I have is 8 years old ,no problems charging ,hasn't harmed any of my devices and doesn't produce squelch opening rf to the aircraft radios.