Aspen to Display Garmin ADS-B Data

Does big G know that Aspen unlocked the data? 

Best regards,

-a-

Yes. When I spoke with Garmin they indicated that discussions were being held between Aspen and Garmin to allow data sharing. When I visited Aspen, they had no clue this was going on.

So, my guess is the Aspen guys were either not sharing what they knew was coming to help push the L3 and their own version of FreeFlight or they were kept in the dark by their management.

Either way, it is a good thing for all owners. The more open the hierarchy, the more competition for the available equipment should equate to better street prices.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

About time...

Aspen unlocks Garmin ADS-B information

Aspen Avionics has unveiled unlock software that makes Garmin's new line of ADS-B receivers compatible with the Evolution-series PFD and MFD retrofit display systems.

Does "new line" include 3 year old GDL-88?

4 hours ago, Marauder said: About time...

Aspen Avionics has unveiled unlock software that makes Garmin's new line of ADS-B receivers compatible with the Evolution-series PFD and MFD retrofit display systems.

Does "new line" include 3 year old GDL-88?

I didn't see details on the past compatibility requirements. Since it is clear from the article the -88 is in scope and the -345 is next, my guess it would work. The -88 may require a firmware upgrade. Do you currently have your Wx-500 display on your PFD?

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I didn't see details on the past compatibility requirements. Since it is clear from the article the -88 is in scope and the -345 is next, my guess it would work. The -88 may require a firmware upgrade. Do you currently have your Wx-500 display on your PFD?

I don't have a WX-500. I have a WX-900 that displays only on the StormScope screen. The traffic and weather from the GDL-88 display only on the GTN 750.

The reason I ask is I believe Aspen is "unlocking" these additional features on a per device basis. Since I have the Wx-500, it currently will display on the MFD without an unlock code. The ADS-B whether Garmin or someone else's will require a separate unlock code. Pretty sure it will be per Aspen box.

So currently, my WX-500 will show up on only the MFD (and the GTN) and if I want it on the PFD, I pay. If I want ADS-B on the MFD, I pay. If I want ADS-B on the PFD, I pay. Seems like a lot of "paying" doesn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Seems like a lot of "paying" doesn't it?" ... I understand they are a business trying to make money but hitting a 2 or 3 display owner for multiple "unlock" codes is a little rich...

However, I understand if they unlocked all the boxes it would be very easy for the owner to resale the units unlocked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Godfather said:

"Seems like a lot of "paying" doesn't it?" ... I understand they are a business trying to make money but hitting a 2 or 3 display owner for multiple "unlock" codes is a little rich...

However, I understand if they unlocked all the boxes it would be very easy for the owner to resale the units unlocked.

wait till you unlock SV on a G1000 $$$$$

Doesn't this actually make "cents" for Garmin since they are probably getting a cut of the unlock fees? They will see revenue that they probably would not have earned anyway, so in a way it's free money.

Edited by flyboy0681

Looks like I might be in the market for a GTX345 this year. I really like the idea of ditching the stratus and getting traffic and weather on my "vintage" 530W. I wonder what I can get out of my GTX330ES? If the 335 sells for $2,995 I'm guessing $2,000??

17 hours ago, Marauder said:

About time...

Its just hard to believe what they charge just to unlock the box, makes you wonder how much stuff they actually have available for extra items, pretty cool.

29 minutes ago, Danb said:

Its just hard to believe what they charge just to unlock the box, makes you wonder how much stuff they actually have available for extra items, pretty cool.

Not hard to believe at all. The GTN 750 has a marvelous approach chart overlay feature, but they charge $2,500 just to unlock it. That's on top of the annual Jepp subscription. And they are pretty inflexible too. When I got my IR I contacted Garmin to ask if I could get a 30 day trial just to give it a whirl, and they said no. I thought it was a reasonable request since they gave a 30 day trial when the box was installed.

Edited by flyboy0681

I love how everyone whines about $$$. Software ain't cheap. Let's say this feature took 3 guys charging $125 an hour (actually a pretty low rate for a decent real time software programmer, I've been paying $90 an hour for some half way decent people here in Iowa, working on C# websites) 6 months to implement, QC and then certify. That's $375K. That's about 500 boxes before you even turn profit. $375K might be a low end of what it cost to implement. Just got done with a project where initial estimate was $9million, it went to $25million, before it all got scrapped. That's software development for you, I've seen it more times than I can count on both hands. Have yet to see one finished on time and on budget. Close to half of the projects I've worked on ended up being false starts. I assume Aspen has about the same rate.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Time to look towards India where they are happy to work for $15/hr!

You've ever worked with some of these folks? I have. That $15 an hour will cost $300 before all is said and done. I tell my clients you can pay me now or you can pay me later, except that later I'll know I'll have you by the balls. I just billed an invoice for $45K for a week of work after a client dropped my maintenance agreement, took the work to Hungary and then came crying few months later when it all fell apart. To say the least, I will not be reentering into my standard maintenance agreement with them ;-)

Edited by AndyFromCB

Just now, AndyFromCB said:

You've ever worked with some of these folks? I have. That $15 an hour will cost $300 before all is said and done. I tell my clients you can pay me now or you can pay me later, except that later I'll know I'll have you by the balls.

The exclamation point was my way of being facetious. I've been programming since the early 80's and have lost a lot of business to these guys and at other times I've had to work side-by-side with them ( they are pleasant to talk to for the most part). Not only do they not speak the Queen's English, they write rotten code as well. So what you said is preaching to the choir.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not hard to believe at all. The GTN 750 has a marvelous approach chart overlay feature, but they charge $2,500 just to unlock it. That's on top of the annual Jepp subscription. And they are pretty inflexible too. When I got my IR I contacted Garmin to ask if I could get a 30 day trial just to give it a whirl, and they said no. I thought it was a reasonable request since they gave a 30 day trial when the box was installed.

They do have a great approach chart overlay which is free besides the monthly fee.  You are thinking of the Jepp subscription.  If they give you 30 days it will overlay for 6 months.  

23 minutes ago, Godfather said:

They do have a great approach chart overlay which is free besides the monthly fee.  You are thinking of the Jepp subscription.  If they give you 30 days it will overlay for 6 months.  

If it's free then what is this feature (as taken from Sarasota Avionics site) and how does it differ? BTW, I stated $2,500, which is what the going price was for it two years ago when I got the GTN installed.

Chartview.png

Edited by flyboy0681

I not actually questioning the value but say you pay 30k, I would rather have the company charge an amount that provides all the software thats available and not have to keep paying for stuff.

• Like 1