1980 M20K 231 Modified and loaded **SOLD!**

jclemens

Well, the time has come to sell my most recent project.  This 231 has everything anyone could ever desire in a 231.  I run a FAA repair station and we are a Mooney service center.  All work was completed by us.  I will most certainly forget something but here it goes.  

Airframe: 3400TTSN NDH Brand new grey leather interior, all new solar grey UV glass, 2008 paint (8/10), fresh annual (all brakes, disks, shock disks, tires, tubes, gear stripped and repainted, etc.) factory O2, new masks, speed brakes, etc... 

Engine: TSIO-360-LB,  about 25 hours TSMOH 

New turbo, new exhaust system, O/H'ed fuel system, new GAMI's, new Meryln waste gate, new intercooler, new mags, new harness, new baffles seals, new mounts, new hoses, sitting on a freshly powder coated mount.  If it's not listed here, it's probably new....

Avionics:  Aspen 1000 Pro PFD w/ EA100 autopilot adapter and APS4A altitude preselect coupled to the KFC200, driven by a Garmin GTN750 and a GTN650, remote Garmin GTX33ES transponder and remote Garmin GMA35 audio panel, both controlled on the touchscreens.  Weather and traffic from the Garmin GDL88, as well as a freshly overhauled Weatherscout Radar just for kicks.  Bluetooth comes from a Garmin Flightstream 210 to run all your portable devices.  JPI EDM700 engine monitor with fuel flow is hooked to both GTN's giving fuel range rings.  

This plane flies as good as it sounds and is dripping with technology.  There is a listing on TAP here with photos: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20K+231+MODIFIED&listing_id=2168971&s-type=aircraft

Also there is a thread on here detailing some of the project as it progressed: 

Anyone interested can contact me directly on here, or jclemens@daytonaaircraft.com, or call 386-255-2049 M-F 9-5 and ask for Jake.  You can also contact my broker listed in the TAP listing.

Edited by jclemens
  • Like 2

I'll attempt to take some photos as soon as I get back to the shop.  Panel shots are really hard to get, all the big bright screens wash out the photos and make them look weird.  Best to just come view it in person :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Looks amazing.  Why no de-ice though on a turbo?

TKS wasn't offered on Mooneys until around 1996.

Very few 231s, which were discontinued in 1985, were retrofitted with TKS de-ice. To have TKS FIKI, you need dual alternators - not available on a 231.

• Like 1

That is exactly what it is, and the Sperry Weather Scout Radar system was fully overhauled during this restoration.  Both the receiver/transmitter unit in the wing and the indicator in the cockpit were both overhauled.  The system functions as good as new.  I was getting accurate returns up to about 50 miles out with it.  It was determined that removing it would involve too much work to get the wing back in non-radar form, we didn't want to just pull the indicator and leave the radome.  It is old, but it is still a useful piece of equipment, especially when augmented with the TIS-B weather from the GDL88.  Plus it looks cool, which was the most important factor in the decision to keep it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jclemens said:

That is exactly what it is, and the Sperry Weather Scout Radar system was fully overhauled during this restoration.  Both the receiver/transmitter unit in the wing and the indicator in the cockpit were both overhauled.  The system functions as good as new.  I was getting accurate returns up to about 50 miles out with it.  It was determined that removing it would involve too much work to get the wing back in non-radar form, we didn't want to just pull the indicator and leave the radome.  It is old, but it is still a useful piece of equipment, especially when augmented with the TIS-B weather from the GDL88.  Plus it looks cool, which was the most important factor in the decision to keep it.

Plus on long flights you can tune in Leave it to Beaver . .  just kidding. That was a rare option on a Mooney back then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jclemens said:

If I remember correctly, you can adjust the angle of the radar, up and down, to paint the sky ahead of you? Is that correct?

It's weather radar.  They all tilt up and down.  There are books written on the subject of radar operation, but basically you adjust the tilt to match the altitude your cruising at so you paint ground clutter about 3/4 of the way out on the range you have set on the radar screen.  Then anything else is a reflection of weather in front of you.  While TIS-B and XM Nexrad is a great tool for avoiding weather, nothing beats live radar for navigating through it.  The newer systems make it easier to use, but this one is still a better than no radar if you intend to fly in inclimate weather.  

With this radar, what are you exactly looking for? What does it see best?

Onboard radar "paints" precipitation. NEXRAD and ADS-B does the same thing BUT it usually is a composite of multiple ground radars and has an inherent time delay between when the actual radar image was taken and when it is posted. Onboard radar does it live but does require the operator to understand the limitations as well as understand how to properly use it.

The rap on the Mooney system was limited power and the size of the radar disk. It won't perform as well as the newer stuff out there, but it beats not having anything. It should be used in conjunction with all available weather sources (including a StormScope) to help make an informed decision.

• Like 1

As a business owner in a small town we (small business owners) are very self conscious when we purchase and high dollar item (home, car, truck, boat, plane) because some people in the community always say, 'Well look at him, spending all that money, that's why he charges so much for his club dues, just so he can buy a new truck"...As strange as it sounds I know some friends that own businesses and always buy the same make/color truck just so people won't  notice..Pretty sad, but that's just how it is in a small town..lol

I'm thinking this plane is painted so similar to mine maybe this same logic would work...hum, maybe the locals would never notice I've upgraded.. :) 

Just joking, but this is a great looking plane. Very tempting. Great job on the upgrades!

-Tom

• Like 2

If need be we can set them side by side and correct any thing that doesn't match your current paint scheme.  Or, just park it in a hangar to keep it away from prying eyes.  Lot's of solutions to this conundrum...

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 9:51 PM, jclemens said:

It's weather radar.  They all tilt up and down.  There are books written on the subject of radar operation, but basically you adjust the tilt to match the altitude your cruising at so you paint ground clutter about 3/4 of the way out on the range you have set on the radar screen.  Then anything else is a reflection of weather in front of you.  While TIS-B and XM Nexrad is a great tool for avoiding weather, nothing beats live radar for navigating through it.  The newer systems make it easier to use, but this one is still a better than no radar if you intend to fly in inclimate weather.

Can an operator of this system tell the difference between heavy and light precipitation? Hail? Lightning (strike finder)? Are the images up for interpitation, or is it pretty clear cut? Sorry for the 20 questions but I have not seen this option on many of our Mooneys.

David

The operator can indeed tell the intensity of the precipitation.  A skilled operator can map the boundaries of the cell including the height.  The images are just like the radar images you see on TV, just instead of green/yellow/red these are monochrome, higher intensities show up as brighter shades of green.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...