EAA / Dynon STCS

Bennett

12 hours ago, PTK said:

I had some inside news on this last week after I sent my electric attitude indicator in for overhaul.  My avionics guy had a webinar and called me right away.  We called the shop and placed the order on hold as I was told the announcement for this would happen at Oshkosh.  Looks like I will get one of these very soon in my Rocket.

Tom

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:22 PM, PTK said:

2200$ vs. 1200$ For the Garmin G5 and a much much smoother and slick display. High definition!

image.png

According to the press release it appears that certificated aircraft enjoy a $1K premium, but at least it's not $10K. Something about flying, floating, facing water....

The G5 retails for $2,149 or $2,499 with an optional GPS antenna, and both include the installation kit, back-up battery and STC.

Edited by dlthig
update
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PTK said:

Too bad it cant replace that fine swiss watch KI256 that needs to be OH'd every 500 hrs or so.and feed the analog needs of the King AP. You would be in hog heaven PTK!

Just now, mike_elliott said:

Too bad it cant replace that fine swiss watch KI256 that needs to be OH'd every 500 hrs or so.and feed the analog needs of the King AP. You would be in hog heaven PTK!

Yeah, i wish it would feed our century 41, but as a standby it's worth 2k imo

36 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but has anybody heard updates on the KI-300?  Seems like a solution to me.  My MX guy is at OSH told him to stop by the Bendix King booth and get an update.

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I had some inside news on this last week after I sent my electric attitude indicator in for overhaul.  My avionics guy had a webinar and called me right away.  We called the shop and placed the order on hold as I was told the announcement for this would happen at Oshkosh.  Looks like I will get one of these very soon in my Rocket.

Tom

I can't find any info if Mooney will be on the STC List? Do you know for sure?

EAA is charging $100 for the Dynon STC.  I would assume the Garmin is the same.  The real siappointing thing to me is the price on Garmins website.  Unless I'm reading something wrong, they are charging $1199 for the experimental G5.  However, they are charging $2149 for the same unit with less functionality for the stc'd unit.

According to AOPA article, it can act as PFD or HSI (single VOR only).

8 hours ago, teejayevans said:

According to AOPA article, it can act as PFD or HSI (single VOR only).

It's AI only with airspeed and altitude.  No Hsi or VOR. It's a different part number than the experimental version. 

Edited by jetdriven

8 hours ago, teejayevans said: According to AOPA article, it can act as PFD or HSI (single VOR only).

It's AI only with airspeed and altitude.  No Hsi or VOR. It's a different part number than the experimental version. 

Ok, then it should be called a G 2 1/2....hey Garmin, let me know when you are serious, this sounds like a hack, I'll bet its same hardware with different firmware to disable other features.

18 hours ago, FoxMike said:

Mark,

I checked with King several months ago.  They are saying the KI 300 will be out first Q17.  The rumor is the backup battery would run the system long enough to meet FAA spec.

I can't remember where but I read somewhere that the KI300 is made by RC Allen? Can anyone confirm this, and if so should it be of any concern? 

3 hours ago, PTK said:

I can't remember where but I read somewhere that the KI300 is made by RC Allen? Can anyone confirm this, and if so should it be of any concern? 

While I cannot confirm it, that was "leaked' to me at SNF by the RC Allen guys. Sure it should be a concern to you, Peter, it doesn't say Garmin on it. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

While I cannot confirm it, that was "leaked' to me at SNF by the RC Allen guys. Sure it should be a concern to you, Peter, it doesn't say Garmin on it. :)

If so they probably outsourced it to RC Allen. I'm sure if BK is putting their name on it it has to be worthy. 

The rep at OSH said the G5 was ATSM standards but the G3x touch was not, so there may not be a path for that unit into a certified airplane per se'.  But something else may be coming.  I said hurry up

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, jetdriven said:

The rep at OSH said the G5 was ATSM standards but the G3x touch was not, so there may not be a path for that unit into a certified airplane per se'.  But something else may be coming.  I said hurry up

Does this mean that maybe we'll soon see autopilot outputs in the G5?!