New Avidyne IFD features

I came across this on BT today and thought it was important enough to share with any Avidyne prospective buyers. As for me, my plane is in the avionics shop getting two 440s installed. This has me VERY excited...

Avidyne just posted the contents of their 10.2 software release on Avidyne Live. The list is LONG, and there are some very cool things in the mix.

All the keys of the bluetooth keyboard are activated.

Wifi bidirectional has been programmed; awaiting FAA approval and vendors to modify their code (FlyQ, FF, FltPlan Go, and others) to fully activate. The data stream as I understand it should allow vendors to pick up ADS-B data stream and display it on their apps as well. I am glad I bought their MLB100 box.

Adding more complete ADS-B box coverage (Capstone).

They are adding an "exocentric" Synthetic Vision capability.

They are announcing new products as well including an IFD box with built in ADAHRS; this box has an "egocentric" SV.

They are in final stages of company testing, and will have to wait for FAA approval, but that said, in my opinion, WOW!

New Features:

1. 1. Added support for multiple options on the IFD-series to include:

a. WiFi/Bluetooth

b. FLTA and 500’ Callouts

c. TAWS

d. On-board Digital Radar

e. Video Input/Display

f. Synthetic Vision

g. 16W VHF Comm Transmit Power

h. SAR/Special Use

i. Capstone compliant ADS-B Receivers

2. 2. Added support for European VFR Visual Approach, Landing and Area Charts – this is a new chart option in the chart list for those customers who have elected to add that capability to their Jepp subscription.

3. 3. Added support for Digital Radar – a new optional RADAR tab has been added to the MAP page and weather radar overlays are supported on the moving map.

4. 4. Added support for TIS traffic display – adds TIS track lines and TIS related “Traffic Not Available” CAS messages

5. 5. Added support for GDL-88 – added ability to communicate with, and display data from, Garmin GDL-88 devices

6. 6. Added support for GTX-330ES – Adds ability to communicate with, and send ADS-B compliant position data to the GTX-330ES

7. 7. Added support for Video input and display – a new optional VIDEO tab has been added to the MAP page which displays input from any RS-170 format camera. The display can support full-color video input and IR camera input and is pinch zoom-able and pan-able.

8. 8. Added support for TAWS – adds the rest of the TAWS capability to include Premature Descent Alert, Excessive Sink Rate, Negative Climb Rate after Takeoff or Go-Around, TAWS Self Test and associated aurals. It is likely the TSO approval will be a follow-on approval after 10.2.0.0 release.

9. 9. Added Synthetic Vision to all IFDs – a new optional SVS tab has been added to the MAP page which displays an “exocentric” view of your airplane against 3D terrain and obstacles along with flight plan information.

10. 10. Adds support for Search and Rescue and Special Use patterns – provides an option for circular orbits around a point.

11. 11. Added a new “Direct Distance to Active Waypoint” datablock – this datablock provides a constant snap vector including direct distance to the active waypoint. This does NOT add a buttonhook type of turn toward the waypoint if not already facing it.

12 12. Added a new “Active Waypoint Direct Info” datablock – Adds a new datablock which displays bearing, distance, time to go to active waypoint using a straight line assumption.

13. 13. Added a new “Designated Waypoint Info” datablock – this is my personal favorite and allows you to designate any waypoint in the system (not just in the flight plan) to be an anchor point and provides bearing, radial, distance, time-to-go data elements. To change the designated waypoint, just touch on the datablock which pops up a virtual keyboard to type in a new waypoint. The waypoint selected will survive across power cycles.

14. 14. Adds Demo mode – this feature adds a means in maintenance mode to put the IFD into Demo mode. Once in demo mode, a special splash screen pops up at each power up and if you accept it, it puts the IFD into demo mode. The IFD will “fly” the flight plan entered including any altitude constraints. This mode is entered if a properly configured USB fob is inserted into the USB port prior to power up. Great for dealers and even useful for in-airplane ground training.

15. 15. Added WX-500 Self Test capability – adds a new WX500 self test page to Maintenance mode for debug and troubleshooting purposes

16. 16. IFD550 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD550 product which will be released at the same time. The IFD550 contains an internal Attitude Reference System (a set of TSO’d gyros and accels) that computes and displays a TSO’d attitude indication. Both Synthetic Vision and a traditional blue/brown ADI depictions are available. The Synthetic Vision view is an “egocentric” or out-the-window view with 3D traffic, 3D terrain, 3D obstacles, 3D flight plan depiction, Total Velocity Vector (TVV)/Flight Path Marker (FPM) depiction, highlighted airfields and runways, and vertical/lateral deviation indicators.

17. 17. IFD545 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD545 product which is the IFD550 without the VHF com/nav capability.

18. 18. IFD510 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD510 product which is the IFD540 without the VHF com/nav capability.

19. 19. IFD410 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD410 product which is the IFD440 without the VHF com/nav capability.

20. 20. Adds transponder test capability – a new transponder test page/mode has been added to maintenance mode that tests the transponder output signals and gives great feedback to the installer/tester/troubleshooter.

21. 21. Adds a port monitor capability – a new page has been added to maintenance mode that allows an installer/troubleshooter to monitor all the traffic on the various data com ports of the IFD.

22. 22. Adds a Terrain database version ID to the SYS page – just like with Nav, Obstacle and Chart data, we are now displaying the version number/date of the on-board terrain database.

23. 23. Displays Navaids on FMS INFO tab – adds a new sub-tab to the FMS INFO tab that shows nearby navaids

24. 24. Adds new User ID datablock – this new datablock identifies the current User Profile in use. Especially useful in those multiple owner airplanes or the pilots who want to set up profiles for various phases of flight.

25. 25. Adds Transition Level/Altitude Alert – made additions to the FMS Setup page to allow designation of local area transition level/altitude and has associated CAS messages with them as the transition level/altitude is approached.

26. 26. Adds Sidetone Adjust capability – added a new row on the Volume page to provide a means to adjust the VHF transmission side tone level.

27. 27. Adds other new maintenance mode selections and pages – added several new selection types for RS-232 devices, radar calibration page, stormscope test page, IFD550 attitude sensor calibration page, and others

Improvements:

28. 28 Improved WiFi capability – adds two-way WiFi so data (e.g. flight plans) can be sent from an external device/application to the IFD and added more data in the WiFi stream from the IFD to include ADS-B weather, ADS-B traffic, attitude data from the IFD550/545, user waypoints, stored routes, etc). This also includes support for the new free IFD100 iPad app which is a fully interactive version of the IFD running on an iPad. When connected via WiFi to the panel mount IFD, virtually all inputs made on one IFD are reflected on the other. It's WAY COOL!

29. 29. Adds 16W VHF Transmit power capability to the IFD 4-series – IFD4-series now has the option for 16W transmit power. Fielded IFD440s can be upgraded from 10W to 16W if desired.

30. 30. Navigation Database upload speeds dramatically increased – Nav database upload times have been dramatically reduced. For example, 15MB worldwide nav data used to take 7 minutes to upload and now takes 40 seconds.

31. 31. Full Bluetooth Keyboard mapping – adds all missing mapping to the Bluetooth keyboards.

32. 32. Additional ADS-B weather products – adds Winds Aloft, Temps Aloft, and TFRs from the MLB100 datastream for display on the IFD

33. 33. Ability to turn off individual GPS satellite vehicles – individual satellite vehicle numbers can be manually excluded from the GPS solution in maintenance mode. This should be especially helpful in the southern hemisphere (e.g. Australia and New Zealand) where WAAS and MSAS satellites can be viewed but may be troublesome.

34. 34. Enhanced GPS signal lock robustness – a number of additional enhancements were made to the GPS lock algorithms.

35. 35. Allow multiple outputs of the same data stream – previously, you could only have one instance of a RS-232 data type in Maintenance Mode and now you can have up to 6 instances of the same type. For example, you can now set “Aviation” on all six serial ports if you want.

36. 36. Configuration Save Improvements – this should help out those customers who use the Windows simulator and configure the IFD as they want and try to save those settings to a USB fob for importing into an actual IFD. Those settings were not being fully implemented on the actual IFD until now.

37. 37. Add aural alert to ADS-B traffic TAs – An aural “bing” now accompanies ADS-B sourced traffic TAs.

38. 38. Improved VOR nav sensitivity – the overall VOR sensitivity was improved which greatly improves Morse Code decode times and accuracy.

39. 39. Improved enroute transitions - When inserting a SID into the flight plan, the system will generally present only a dropdown containing enroute transitions. When the user selects the transition, a SID is inserted with a runway transition corresponding to the selected runway. However, if there is no selected runway, then no runway transition is inserted. This has led to some users wondering why their SID is "missing legs". That has been addressed in 10.2.

40. 40. Added WiFi and Bluetooth logo icons to the top datablock strip – the added logos will be a clear indication which capability has been enabled on that IFD

41. 41. Moved the WiFi/BT accept dialog box up to the startup sequence – moves that dialog box up to the startup sequence if the IFD has WiFi or Bluetooth enabled and at least one of them configured in User Options to be On.

42. 42. Depicted GPS signal strength – improves the visual depiction of GPS satellite signal-to-noise ratio bars on the GPS status page

43. 43. Enhanced Guard Freq swapping behavior – When pressing and holding the Swap key to push 121.5 into the active com freq, the system will now automatically push the previous active freq into the standby slot.

44. 44. VLOC Yellow on ILS Approach – there were some ILS approaches that were coded differently in the nav database and did not toggle the VLOC nav source indicator to green when they should have. That has been rectified in this release.

45. 45. Offer more possibilities when entering a waypoint – instead of limiting dropdown waypoint choices to previously determined most logical choices, all choices with the identifier are now possible.

46. 46. Improved thumbnail dwell time - adds a dwell time requirement to effect change on the traffic and transponder thumbnails. This fixes an issue where scrolling the datablocks column could adversely/unintentionally change the traffic or transponder state

47. 47. Improved Published Holds – there were some subtle uses of published holds that we did not know about operationally. This change allows selection of the type of hold to be used when there are multiple published holds on the same database waypoint.

48. 48. Runway length in meters - When meters selected as units in User Options distance units field, the runway length information on the INFO tab will be displayed in meters. Also affects map pop up info boxes and Map Setup page filtering by runway length.

49. 49. ADS-B traffic symbols – adds the directional indication symbol to ADS-B sourced traffic blips

50. 50. Cyclic scroll on waypoint lat/lon entry - When entering in lat lon coordinates, instead of preventing a rollover from 0 to 9 as pre-10.2 behaved, now you can twist the knob to go around the horn.

51. 51. Timer label changes – a few cosmetic changes to titles of timers. “Departure Timer” is now “Event Times” and start options have been wordsmithed.

52. 52. Title change of User ID datablock – changes the title of the datablock from “User ID” to “User Profile”.

53. 53. Jet/Victor Airways visibility on map – changed the altitudes at which Jet Airways and Victor Airways are suppressed from view on the map. 

54. 54. Removed floating “TRK” - In pre-10.2 systems, if you turned off the digital heading box on the Map, we left a floating “TRK” indication. That is now removed if digital heading/track is removed too.

55. 55. Map tab hiding info on Charts page – moves the page alignment as required so that the MAP page tabs do not obscure Chart data.

56. 56. Enhanced virtual keyboard ops during edits - removes a behavior where the virtual keyboard would be removed if you used the space key during edits to the User Profile name.

57. 57. Improved cursor behavior on Chart list page – prevents the cursor from moving beyond your field of view (below the visible page) when on the Chart list page.

58. 58. Removes invalid temps from Mx Mode display page – removes some unused or invalid temps on the I/O card sub-page in Mx mode.

59. 59. Improved GPS status flagging – no longer flags GPS position as “bad” when the UTC Invalid flag is set.

60. 60. Changed default state of maintenance mode updates page - changes the default of all FOB files being selected for upload to no files selected in an attempt to reduce unintended SW/database or updates loading.

61. 61. KFC225 Nav Arming in Dual IFDs – improves the clarity of which IFD arms the autopilot NAV mode in dual IFD-KFC225 equipped aircraft.

Defects Fixed

62. 62. Restore missing datablock in top datablock strip – restores the missing Crosstrack Deviation datablock option to the top datablock strip after it had been inadvertently removed a few releases ago.

63. 63. Fixes Datalink no coverage cross hatching indications – we had some cases where big/gigantic no-coverage cross hatching indications from ADS-B weather were displayed.

64. 64. Fixed times in G500 and GMX200 - There were some conditions where the times displayed on the G500 and GMX200 were off by an hour due to a bug in our interpretation of the data messages. That’s now fixed.

65. 65. Fixed GMX200 Reboot defect – fixed a defect that would cause the GMX200 to reboot after its disclaimer page was acknowledged.

66. 66. Fixed improper use of pressure altitude on GPS Status Page – eliminates the use of pressure altitude on the GPS Status page for the altitude field and in the Aviation 232 output stream. It’s GPS Altitude or nothing now.

67. 67. G500 ILS Autoslew course fix – fixes a defect in which the ILS course was not always properly autoslewing in a G500/600.

68. 68. Altitude Constraint Removal fix – fixes a defect in which the inserted altitude constraint would get removed when inserting an airway after a leg.

69. 69. Fixed a defect in the way arc legs were drawn on Garmin displays - fixes a defect where on MX20/GMX200/G500, Arc legs are not able to be drawn greater than 255 degrees. Most DME Arcs are significantly less than that but it has been found that the Nav database does contain some arcs that are greater than 255 degrees (ex. SASJ OSEBO 4A Departure - GESPA transition)

70. 70. VR leg altitude constraint radial display fix – fixes a defect where the radial on an altitude constraint VR leg would not display 3 digits if less than 100 degrees.

71. 71. Fixed Next Leg CAS defect – the “Next Leg” CAS message was supposed to be a Delete on Ack message but that was not implemented correctly in Release 10.1.1.0.

72. 72. Fixed defect in datablock location display – fixed the defect that caused discrete jumping of display location in datablocks when using User IDs 2-5.

73. 73. Fixed inappropriate dismissal of virtual keyboard – some of the AUX – Setup pages would get keyboards in places and times that they shouldn’t and this is now fixed.

74. 74. Fixed AM/PM defect in ETA calculation – fixed a defect that typically produced an error in ETA time label (AM was PM and PM was AM).

I especially like the idea of being able to control your IFD from your iPad. I'm guessing this means entering and changing frequencies, changing waypoints, etc. all from the comforts of your trusty iPad. I wonder what they're thinking in Olathe right now.

Steve

They are busy copying

Think about the Aspen Connected Pilot product... Was out years before Garmin Connext.

Also, convenient that the GTX-345 comes out after the L3 all in one product.

• Like 1

Anyone know what "adding more complete ADS-B box coverage (capstone)" means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the same thing that Garmin is doing. The Capstone protocol was the original protocol used by the FAA ADS-B during their tests in Alaska. Garmin elected to move to their own proprietary protocol which worked with Garmin products -- with the exception of their own MX-20 and -200 products. Both I believe use Capstone.

That is one of the reasons I am holding out to see if Garmin will produce a Capstone compatible ADS-B solution. They have released information that they will produce a GTX box capable of working with Capstone products (like their own MX products and also Aspens).

I will give it to Avidyne, they are giving people a choice. Based on their news release, they are filling the niche most of us who own Aspens and MX products. Too bad they didn't roll their products out when I was upgrading to the GTN.

7 minutes ago, gsengle said:

My question is related to if and when my Lynx box would be able to integrate... Sounds promising.

I asked his very question on Beechtalk. Still waiting for a reply, but I think I know what it will be... "We don't know yet."

19 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I came across this on BT today and thought it was important enough to share with any Avidyne prospective buyers. As for me, my plane is in the avionics shop getting two 440s installed. This has me VERY excited...

I have an M20R with an IFD540/440 combination and  a M20M with an IFD540.  If at all possible spend the difference and make one of them a 540, even if it means having to move a few things around. The extra screen size allows you to take advantage of all of these extras you mention.

If space absolutely wouldn't allow, I would rather have one IFD 540 and a slimline NavCom like an SL-30 than two IFD440s.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gsengle said:

My question is related to if and when my Lynx box would be able to integrate... Sounds promising.

The "added support for....Capstone compliant ADS-B receivers" is very intriguing, although I don't know what it means exactly. On the surface it sounds like there is a path for interfacing the NGT-9000 with the IFDs, since the serial output of the NGT-9000 uses the public GDL90 protocol. However, to the best of my knowledge there has been no formal testing between the NGT-9000 and IFDs. 

I'll make some inquiries next week and will let everyone know as soon as I know more.

Jim Keeth, L-3 Aviation Products

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I have an M20R with an IFD540/440 combination and  a M20M with an IFD540.  If at all possible spend the difference and make one of them a 540, even if it means having to move a few things around. The extra screen size allows you to take advantage of all of these extras you mention.

If space absolutely wouldn't allow, I would rather have one IFD 540 and a slimline NavCom like an SL-30 than two IFD440s.

Lance, I was going to do just that but when I dropped the plane off we took the glare shield off and they could immediately see there would not be enough space. Unfortunately I have an older 1978 J with the shorter panel, not the tall panels like later models. It was obvious the 540 would not fit. I considered a single 540 but having been used to two 430s for a while I liked the redundancy of having two GPS units. But your suggestion would have saved me a lot of money.

Steve

13 hours ago, JKeeth said:

The "added support for....Capstone compliant ADS-B receivers" is very intriguing, although I don't know what it means exactly. On the surface it sounds like there is a path for interfacing the NGT-9000 with the IFDs, since the serial output of the NGT-9000 uses the public GDL90 protocol. However, to the best of my knowledge there has been no formal testing between the NGT-9000 and IFDs. 

I'll make some inquiries next week and will let everyone know as soon as I know more.

Jim Keeth, L-3 Aviation Products

Jim,

Welcome! The NGT9000 is one sweet piece of gear. I love how it interfaces to my aspen, GNS430w and IPAD. It deserved a place on top of the left side stack and I use all of its features almost every flight.

Since the wifi hardware is present, could a future feature via software update allow for something similar to garmin's flightstream and accept input from popular IPAD apps like FlyQ, Wingx and Foreflight be possible? Then, it truly would be a "one box does all" solution. I realize how "difficult" others may make accomplishing this could be, but wondered of the possibilities.

(PS SunNFun hospitality event?)

Just now, gsengle said:

What would the input be though?

If the question is for my NGT9000 feature request, the input would be the same as one would use a Flightstream for. Uploading flight plans mainly. The Lynx already speaks to the GNS series (and others), so why not let it show IPAD derived routes along with the info it supplies to the GPS?

No my question was regarding the other gentleman's suggestion for bidirectional wifi with the Lynx 9000.

My question is when will the ifs 540 be able to take full ads-b data input from my Lynx 9000.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gsengle said:

Thanks and I love my Lynx! Where are ya all based out of?

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Lynx unit! It is a remarkable unit, and truly an "all-in-one" ADS-B solution!

Most of our manufacturing, engineering, sales and customer support is located in Grand Rapids, MI, but we also have engineering and manufacturing in Phoenix, as well as Columbus, OH.

9 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Since the wifi hardware is present, could a future feature via software update allow for something similar to garmin's flightstream and accept input from popular IPAD apps like FlyQ, Wingx and Foreflight be possible? Then, it truly would be a "one box does all" solution. I realize how "difficult" others may make accomplishing this could be, but wondered of the possibilities.

(PS SunNFun hospitality event?)

Are you asking if the 9000 could receive flight plan data from the iPad and display the route on the map page of the 9000? If so, that is an idea that I will certainly take to our engineering group for consideration. However, the map page of the 9000 isn't certified for navigation purposes, only for situational awareness, so that might prevent us from displaying flight plan data on the moving map.

Not sure about SNF. I'm not going this year so haven't stayed informed about what our marketing and sales people are planning for this week.

I seriously doubt that anyone would ever approve that. Would be convoluted both from a software and user interface perspective. And there is probably no standard data format for that to make various device combinations all work.

Garmin certainly wouldn't allow it. They won't even take the adsb data today, which is standards based.