Moving to Minneapolis

bdavis171

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to Minneapolis at the beginning of August.  I purchased a 1968 M20F in October and have about 30 hours in it.  I'm looking for a good airfield and hangar setup to store it in.  I'm also interested in finding a specific Mooney instructor to work towards IFR certification.   Any ideas or leads?  Thanks! 

I'm not based near Minneapolis but I fly there fairly regularly. I use either Airlake (KLVN) or Flying Cloud (KFCM). I've tried a couple of FBOs at KFCM and Thunderbird is by far the best for anyone not in a jet. I'm not sure how they handle all the hangars but I'm sure the folks at Thunderbird could give you some insight if you called. 

• Like 1

Thunderbird has a "concierge service" where they keep your aircraft in a communal hangar and pull it out for you when you want to go flying.  I just call them up on the way to the airport.  $150 per month.  I got both my private and my IFR there and could not be more pleased with the instruction.  I did my Commercial with Bruce Jaeger, its true, Bruce really knows Mooneys.  

I don't know where you can do outside tie down at KFCM, don't think there is any.  I believe there is at Anoka, but I agree on the storms.  Hail is not common but all it takes is one and we do get them.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On April 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM, M20F said:

Are you living in Minneapolis proper or the surrounding area?  

Downtown Minneapolis.  Sorry I just saw this again.  I called Thunderbird and they are currently full.  I'm on the wait list, but it doesn't sound promising.  I guess I'll look for alternative airports around the area.  I would prefer to hangar the plane and not have to tie down.  

I used to fly/rent out of Crystal Air when I was going to anesthesia school back in 1997. I wanted to say 1999.  It was a nice small FBO under the class B airspace.  

• Like 1

Lots of good airports around the twin cities.  Good aviation community.  Weather not so much - windy, hot. And then really cold.

What do you call six inches of snow on the ground in Minneapolis?  . . . Summer!!

Fun fact:  Minneapolis has one of the highest barriers to entry in population living there.  However, one you live there for three years. Minneapolis has the highest retention rate in the country.  Once you move there, you never move away.  From many stats, it is nearly a perfect city.  Low crime, low unemployment, few homeless (weather in the winter has something to do with that in my opinion), good leadership, lower cost of living, good wages, great services.  

If it weren't for the winter and my asthma (which does not do well with the cold) it would be a Top 5 city for me!

Good luck with the move!  You'll find a good place for your airplane.

-Seth

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seth said:

Weather not so much - windy, hot. And then really cold.

What do you call six inches of snow on the ground in Minneapolis?  . . . Summer!!

Four good reasons to live in Minneapolis in the winter:

4.  You can get a glass of ice water right out of the tap.

3.  You can lock your car with a glass of water.

2.  You can use your van as a deep freeze.

The #1 reason: You can clean up after the dog with a nine iron!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Four good reasons to live in Minneapolis in the winter:

4.  You can get a glass of ice water right out of the tap.

3.  You can lock your car with a glass of water.

2.  You can use your van as a deep freeze.

The #1 reason: You can clean up after the dog with a nine iron!

You forgot that you can get to plug your car in at work -- and it is not an electric car.

• Like 1