Prop Overhaul

Prop overhauls are just like engines, TBO has no effect on us part 91 operators. Tell the shop you want it IRAN (Inspect and Replace As Necessary). They inspect the components and keep what is still in spec, and replace only what is needed, versus replacing EVERYTHING just because the manufacturer said so.

I am unsure what prop shops are in my area.   My mechanic wants to send it to Oklahoma  for an overhaul to the tune of $2700.   With the help of this group I found Jewell Aviation down in Kennet , Mo  I took the 6 hour drive down there and dropped my engine off.

• Like 1

On April 1, 2016 at 9:04 PM, zerotact said:

I am unsure what prop shops are in my area.   My mechanic wants to send it to Oklahoma  for an overhaul to the tune of $2700.   With the help of this group I found Jewell Aviation down in Kennet , Mo  I took the 6 hour drive down there and dropped my engine off.

I just checked Jewell Aviation's price list. Looks like the major overhaul is only going to cost you around $11,500. Sounds too good to be true. I hope you know what you're doing.

Jewell Aviation price list

Edited by NotarPilot

29 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

I just checked Jewell Aviation's price list. Looks like the major overhaul is only going to cost you around $11,500. Sounds too good to be true. I hope you know what you're doing.

Am I reading that right? $8,500 for a Major on a O-360? Why does that sound too good to be true?

29 minutes ago, NotarPilot said: I just checked Jewell Aviation's price list. Looks like the major overhaul is only going to cost you around $11,500. Sounds too good to be true. I hope you know what you're doing.

Am I reading that right? $8,500 for a Major on a O-360? Why does that sound too good to be true?

Depends on what they do. If the "parts price" doesn't include things, it could go up in a hurry. A buddy of mine just got his IO-360 back for his J. 22AMU and change. Included new cylinders, new fuel pump, rebuilt fuel injection system, new injectors and new cam. Crank was fine and no cracks in his case.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Depends on what they do. If the "parts price" doesn't include things, it could go up in a hurry. A buddy of mine just got his IO-360 back for his J. 22AMU and change. Included new cylinders, new fuel pump, rebuilt fuel injection system, new injectors and new cam. Crank was fine and no cracks in his case.

That's a good price with new cylinders. About what I paid a couple of years ago with NiC3 cylinders. Had all the accessories overhauled and replaced all the hoses.

Prop may not need an OH. Also, during an OH they hack up the blades which may detract from its useful life. Reseal or IRAN should cover most issues. I had our 3 blade McCauley serviced at San Antonio Propeller a couple of years ago for $925 drive out (no shipping charges). They cleaned up blades, replaced links, seals, paint, etc. Looks and performs like new!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

It's funny, when I learned to fly in the late 90s, I worked at a little airport in NW Indiana. I worked closely with the airport manager who also ran the FBO and was an IA.  One of the tasks I was assigned was to finish an engine rebuild on an early 70s VW "Square back"Type 3.  This was a Bosch D-jetronic injected, 1500cc, air-cooled flat 4.  There were also several aero engines in the shop under going overhaul.  I think we had $600 in all of the parts to OH the VW.  The time involved to do each was similar. Parts for certified aero engines cost a great deal more.  Our air-cooled aero engines are not particularly complicated nor are they difficult to build.  I have no reason to doubt that Jewel can make money building Lycomings at that price. The company has been around for decades, they are likely debt free with low overhead and are located in a part of the country where skilled employee turnover is low as is the cost of living.  That has always been a recipe for success in boutique businesses like engine overhauling.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Prop overhauls are just like engines, TBO has no effect on us part 91 operators. Tell the shop you want it IRAN (Inspect and Replace As Necessary). They inspect the components and keep what is still in spec, and replace only what is needed, versus replacing EVERYTHING just because the manufacturer said so.

On theory that's correct, but what often actually happens is they tear your prop down and then grind the blades past limits then charge you 1500$ for labor, then they keep your hub in exchange for the labor.  So you basically take an airworthy, flying prop and give it to them.  I also took mine to San Antonio propeller and it was 650$ for a reseal and repaint.  The Houston local prop shop is the kind that ruins your prop. I told him it had 1500 hours since new he was well, it might pass but not sure.  

18 hours ago, zerotact said:

HI,

I am elbow deep in my m20J from the firewall foreward and need to save where I can.   What kind of quotes have people beeing getting or paying for a prop overhaul lately?

I'm sorry to hear you are into an overhaul so early in owning 58D. Are you willing to share what happened that lead to the engine overhaul?

6 hours ago, zerotact said:

Yea.  Like 20psi  and could hear air coming through valve on one head.    I was just shy of  1900hours I believe.  

Did you have any noticeable problems, any engine monitor indications?  Consider just replacing the dead cylinders instead of a overhaul?

I've got 1800+ hours on mine, so I might be in the same boat some day in the near future.

• Like 1