Cockpit Camera

There are cheaper GoPros out there. The higher $$$ ones are meant for professional use with the 4k resolution and all. I have a Hero3+ Silver. $299. It was my minimum since I prefer to record at 1080p@60fps. I've also got the Nflightcam interior kit with mount, cord, and filter. Mounted upside down above our heads, get an outside shot and panel perspective. Although I'd hate to say I've got about $400+ into my recording bag, its suits me very well. Here is a recent shot from my CFI ferrying my Mooney for me (he had forgot to move the seat back when getting out, it prompted a hilarious response)

Capture_zpszdbpqkte.jpg

GoPro just released the Hero4 Session at $199, but you won't be able to connect an aux cord. There are some chinese-branded companies making knockoffs with a MUCH cheaper price, but I have no experience with the quality or battery life.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

There are cheaper GoPros out there. The higher $$$ ones are meant for professional use with the 4k resolution and all. I have a Hero3+ Silver. $299. It was my minimum since I prefer to record at 1080p@60fps. I've also got the Nflightcam interior kit with mount, cord, and filter. Mounted upside down above our heads, get an outside shot and panel perspective. Although I'd hate to say I've got about $400+ into my recording bag, its suits me very well. Here is a recent shot from my CFI ferrying my Mooney for me (he had forgot to move the seat back when getting out, it prompted a hilarious response)

Capture_zpszdbpqkte.jpg

GoPro just released the Hero4 Session at $199, but you won't be able to connect an aux cord. There are some chinese-branded companies making knockoffs with a MUCH cheaper price, but I have no experience with the quality or battery life.

Hmmm, on the other hand, if it shows me doing goofy stuff, maybe I don't want to record everything....

• Like 1

I used to use a cb gopro knock off but it was just junky and poor battery life. It's what a you get what you pay for sort of thing. I ended up wasting more money going through the junk and then getting the good stuff rather than just going to the good stuff off the bat. That said, a slightly older generation used gopro might be had for a steal.

I remember seeing close-out deals a bit over a year ago on the original Garmin VIRB for $99.  I'd be more inclined to buy a used GoPro or Garmin over a new knock-off.  I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Garmin VIRB XE, although I still like the original generation VIRB Elite as well.  The new Garmin can use GoPro mounts/accessories from what I've read, so that is nice.  (I'm a Garmin Pilot user and will enjoy the easy integration.)

I think you can stay within your $300 budget with a lower end GoPro and a few specific accessories. You can get better components at a much better price then Nflightcam.  The filter can be had for a few dollars on Amazon and get the cord to get ATC Audio from Shane at the Squawk Shoppe. Shane's cords can even charge the camera in flight while tapped into the audio panel thus solving the battery problem.  I mounted my GoPro in the cockpit using the box top mount that is typically thrown out after opening the box. 

PM me if you'd like specific links, etc. I think I've got one of the better interior setups and it's relatively cheap.

I've been using the Virb Elite. Works good because it allows you to apply the Garmin Edit and GPS screen layover. I use a Virb Elite on the Dash and the Virb standard on the belly. Had some fun with it. The XE is good because you can mix the mounts. I started with the Elites so I just stayed with them since I had the mounts. All of mine were bought on FleaBay. Loading and editing seems to be the biggest challenge. Takes a lot of time. I recently purchased higher quality SD cards hoping to load quicker. It is very cool to be able to check your speeds on landings etc after you down load video. We've also been having lots of flooding around the community. I've filmed some low/slow flights and reposted to Facebook to help the farmers and families see where the water is in relation to their homes, farms and businesses. Seems to have been somewhat helpful to them.

-Tom

• 3 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 8:04 PM, jackn said:

I just purchased a GoPro session for $200 plus $36 for a memory card. Quality is good, but as stated there are no atc communications. 

image.jpeg

hey jackn:   if you're still on the forum, any chance you could PM me or describe here how you mounte the camera that gives this view? I have an 86 Rocket coming out of paint in 2 weeks and this is exactly one of the POVs I want...but I have no idea how I'd go about mounting it to get this shot! thanks in advance!

44 minutes ago, PJClark said:

hey jackn:   if you're still on the forum, any chance you could PM me or describe here how you mounte the camera that gives this view? I have an 86 Rocket coming out of paint in 2 weeks and this is exactly one of the POVs I want...but I have no idea how I'd go about mounting it to get this shot! thanks in advance!

Sticky mount on the ceiling.  I have a mount there for my Garmin Virb.  The camera is technically upside down, but the image is easily rotated in the software.  

6 minutes ago, PJClark said:

OH.  is that a hard surface up there that a sticky will stick to?  I figured it was something soft/fuzzy. Would a suction cup work (hard to remove that sticky stuff?)?

Mine is plastic, some planes do have cloth or leather headliners. Mine has a texture to the plastic, I do not believe a suction cup would work.  My Stratus is mounted to the ceiling with industrial Velcro.   The sticky mounts use a type of double back tape, it is not too bad to peel off.  Sometimes it takes some dental floss to cut it loose and then a little Goo Gone on a rag cleans up the residue.

I'd just go on ebay or something and look for a used one. I got my gopro 4 silver for $120 with 2 spare batteries. go pro quality for a cheap price.

they're bombproof camera's so I don't really mind buying second hand.