LASAR Panel Install Help

I started working on fitting up my new LASAR 8-hole panel cutout and I've got a couple questions for the collective.  I started reassembly on a Friday afternoon too late to call Dan to ask questions.  So, on background, I've got LASAR's generic 8-hole panel and hardware kit.  Looking at the original install and the new parts, it looks like you install the three standoffs on the top of the panel using existing holes.  There's six shock mounts, so I'm assuming you use three on the top edge standoffs, and three at the bottom edge of the panel.  Where I'm at a loss is the following (in no particular order):

1. I've got qty (3) Snubber Cap Inst Panel - this looks like it might fit over a shock mount, but I don't understand the purpose

2, I infer that there should be three mounts at the bottom edge of the new panel.  However, the old panel only had mounts to the left of the control shaft bearing and at the bottom right corner.  Do I need to add a hole at the bottom left corner?

3. Behind the top left instrument hole in the new panel, there is existing sheet metal of the old defrost/windscreen/glare shield shroud.  There doesn't seem to be enough depth behind there even for the ASI.  Does there need to be some trimming of that existing sheet metal?

Thanks in advance, any and all voices of experience in this install are appreciated.  I can get in touch with LASAR on Monday, but I'd like to make some progress on this over the weekend.

Geoff

Edited by geoffb

I've talked to Dan about some of these very issues.  modified the LASAR 9-hole to accept an Aspen. 

1.  The snubber caps are an anti-sag device.  Put them on the bottom row.  I put the cap end against the ship-side.

2.  I added a hole on the bottom left corner.  See picture where I picked up the lower left mount hole.

3.  Some trimming of the old sub-panel is required.  Less with the 8-hole, more with the 9-hole.

Good luck!

image.jpeg

This was one of the first attempts at a panel I did for my old 63C back in the early 90's.  Other than the crinkle coat paint clumping in a couple of places in worked fine.  I did one more version but can not find a picture of it.  Half the fun of owning a Mooney is working on it.

Pritch

IMG_0779.JPG

• Like 1

If you are short on panel cutting skill and didn't like what LASAR had to offer...

One MSer also has a sheet metal shop...

Check out some Mooney panels he has built.

http://www.hendricksmfg.com/panels.html?Iit=4&Ict=2

If working on my plane is 50% of the fun, I must have really loved my old C...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, geoffb said:

The panel with the install kit was $325.85 plus shipping.  It's a bit much for what it is, but Dan's usually got both 8 and 9 hole panels in stock and it's all done for you.

Anyone have a picture of what it looks like? And then all you do is have an A&P swap the panels out/rearrange instruments???? Is there a link to the LASAR panel? I can't find it on their site.

27 minutes ago, carusoam said:

If you are short on panel cutting skill and didn't like what LASAR had to offer...

One MSer also has a sheet metal shop...

Check out some Mooney panels he has built.

http://www.hendricksmfg.com/panels.html?Iit=4&Ict=2

If working on my plane is 50% of the fun, I must have really loved my old C...

Best regards,

-a-

Can you explain his pricing? I see a $200 nonrefundable deposit. So I assume the rest of the cost comes after the consultation and design/cut?

27 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

And then all you do is have an A&P swap the panels out/rearrange instruments????

I have read much more interesting things about the lasar mod...  There is a lot of reworking behind as well, at least that's what I read here:  http://www.jonathanpaul.org/pdf/NewPanel.pdf

Best to have a nibbler and a sympathetic IA...

I did the panels in both of my E models, it's not really that difficult.  Buy a piece of 2024T3 X 0.093" aluminum and an instrument hole punch Spruce.

I used my CAD system(cardboard assisted design) to design the new panel. Trace the old panel onto a piece of heavy Bristol board, lay out the instruments in the positions you want using a square, a ruler and a protractor.  Punch or cut all the holes and fit the new cardboard panel to the plane looking for interference.  

Once this fits trace it to the new blank metal piece and punch the holes and fit it to the plane and install the instruments checking for fit.  When all is good removed it, paint and reinstall.  

Clarence

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, 47U said:

I've talked to Dan about some of these very issues.  modified the LASAR 9-hole to accept an Aspen. 

1.  The snubber caps are an anti-sag device.  Put them on the bottom row.  I put the cap end against the ship-side.

2.  I added a hole on the bottom left corner.  See picture where I picked up the lower left mount hole.

3.  Some trimming of the old sub-panel is required.  Less with the 8-hole, more with the 9-hole.

Good luck!

image.jpeg

This is an old thread but I’m interested in your panel. This is for the Aspen flush installation, correct?

What is the cutout size and were there any interference issues with Yoke tube support structure?

It looks very close to it.

I am working on laying out similar panel but for double G5 flush install and see some possible issues.

I might just order the 8-hole kit from LASAR if it’s easy to modify.

Thank you.

If anyone is so inclined, I have these panels available.  They are made as left side pilot's panel, avionics panel, and right sided fuse panel.  They were installed in my aircraft during the rebuild process and ferry flight only.  They were then replaced when I changed to the Garmin 600 and GTN units.  I also have a left side pilots panel which is made for the G600.  

You can call me at (617) 877-0025 or e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com

Thanks,

John Breda

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

avionics-work-1.bmp