Well - - ITS OFFICIAL. I'm a Mooney owner!

After finding a great plane, being able to sell my cherokee, and weeks of loan approvals, negotiations, and pre buy inspections at Don Maxwell, I went to Longview to pick up my new to me Mooney M20C. MAN DOES IT FLY GREAT!! Thanks to Paul in San Marcos for introducing me to these wonderful birds. Thanks to her previous owner, Vic, who was a GREAT PLEASURE to work with. I Feel like we have made new friends. He and my cousin also helped teach my to fly this plane, however I learned really quickly they love to fly themselves. It was an experience however, to learn that you really have to stay ahead of them, as they travel fast and do NOT want to come down OR SLOW DOWN!!! I got the hang on the Johnson bar fairly quickly, and was greasing those landings in by the end of the day!! Here are some pics, AS PROMISED!!!! 

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Edited by Supercop0184
  • Like 12

Super-Cop:  Your Bird is Super-Bad-Ass.  Vic was indeed a fine custodian.  Lot's of NICE eye candy on panel.  Great choice.  I can tell you are a proud daddy.  Nice to have a smiling Co-Pilot along.  Not an absolute essential, but A HUG VALUE to enjoy the ride.  Glad you are greas'n 'em and having fun.  Fly safe!

and keep :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Welcome again! I saw the other thread first. Love the in-flight photos here.

Thanks Hank!! Not sure why the other one didn't delete earlier.  IT didn't upload the pics right so I edited it and it made another thread instead!! Anyway, THANKS FOR THE DOUBLE welcome!!!! 

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Super-Cop:  Your Bird is Super-Bad-Ass.  Vic was indeed a fine custodian.  Lot's of NICE eye candy on panel.  Great choice.  I can tell you are a proud daddy.  Nice to have a smiling Co-Pilot along.  Not an absolute essential, but A HUG VALUE to enjoy the ride.  Glad you are greas'n 'em and having fun.  Fly safe!

and keep :)

THANKS NO NAME HA (thats your nickname right?) When I saw this Panel I absolutely loved it. Every Manual that Vic kept, Logs, books, STCs, so meticulously organized. I KNOW I can find anything about this airplane at any time easily. I am reading up on the systems today. CANT WAIT to fly her around Texas, AND DEF can't wait to fly her to OSH!!

July hurry up!!!

• Like 1

Looks great, I had a 63C N6761U. Love flying but some things come to an end.  After 13 yrs I am flying again and wish I still had BABY.  But now I have BIG BABY an 84K, a little harder on the gas but not to much.

Pritch

• Like 2

Congrats!  You are going to have a lot of fun with your Mooney.  The value for a C may be the best bang for buck in general aviation.  Built like a tank, 140+knots cruise, stable, and very responsive.

Nail those landing speeds, GUMPS check every leg in the pattern, and if something doesn't feel right, go around.

Enjoy your new Mooney!  

-Seth

• Like 1

Congrats!! Wonderful machine, and beautiful from every angle.  

-a slightly biased fellow C model owner

P.S. Initially I found planning 4 NM for every 1000ft descent at 500fpm to be very helpful advice from my instructor. That Stec30 is a great tool to descend with minimal workload - turning off alt hold while leaving in heading mode, pulling power back from cruise to 20-squared (carb heat on), leaving trim alone, and letting yoke just do its thing immediately puts me in ballpark for 500fpm descent at stable speed.  I'm sure others have their own preferred methods.

41 minutes ago, DXB said:

P.S. Initially I found planning 4 NM for every 1000ft descent at 500fpm to be very helpful advice from my instructor. That Stec30 is a great tool to descend with minimal workload - turning off alt hold while leaving in heading mode, pulling power back from cruise to 20-squared (carb heat on), leaving trim alone, and letting yoke just do its thing immediately puts me in ballpark for 500fpm descent at stable speed.  I'm sure others have their own preferred methods.

Dev-

We think the same way.  I look at time to destination, figure I want to be at pattern altitude a few miles out so I can slow down, Know I want to decend at 500 FPM, so I figure out time to destination, and if the MSL airport is at 1500 feet, and I'm at 9000 feet, I know that's approximately 15 minutes out.  I then add a few minuts, and when I'm 18-19 minutes out, I start my decent.  If IFR, I usually ask for the decent earlier than the controller usually does in uncongested areas.  In east coast airspace, they want me lower WAY out so it's a non issue.

VFR wise, I usually go by ETA, and then back in with 2 minutes per thousand feet, plus a few minutes.  I also know I'll usually have a slightly faster ground speed in the decent (which is also why those few minutes are added on - no speed brakes and in clear calm air).

-Seth

2 hours ago, DXB said:

I descend in my C the easy way. If pattern is 1500 and I'm at 7500, that's 6000' or 12 minutes. So at 14:00-14:30 out, I push the yoke for 500 fpm and trim the forces away. As I come down, manifold pressure and EGT rise, so I will periodically pull the throttle back to my cruise setting, and push the mixture forward to reestablish cruise EGT. No throttle reduction, no carb heat, and FREE SPEED to make up for the long, slow climb. I generally indicate 170-175 mph at 500 fpm power on descent, and it helps improve block time.

The extra couple of minutes gives me distance to slow down after leveling of at or near pattern altitude. Hold level, set throttle for that altitude, enrichen and slow down, then still have another couple miles to reduce throttle more and slow towards flap speed. 

This works for my late model C, with 120 gear, 125 flap speed, green arc to 175 then yellow to 200 redline. Older models may need to do things differently. I am envious of later models' ability to drop gear really high and use them as speed brakes . . .

• Like 1