Baggage door open plane still flys!

markazzarito

Glad it worked out and the door didnt get ripped off. This has happened to me, except I just didn't push my latch down after closing it and on the takeoff roll it came open and I aborted. I check it religiously now every time! I'm paranoid of doing it again. I even set the parking brake after the run up and reach back and push on it sometimes. So don't feel so bad... You aren't the only one and won't be the last as  carusoam said! 

Mike

On the Lancair IV a lot of builders liked to install a remote latch system, leaving the surface of the door clean without any exposed hardware or locks.  The second owner of Lancair International built his plane that way and the problem is you can't totally verify the door is locked when closed.  He had the baggage door open one flight and it sucked his airplane cover out of the compartment and it wrapped around his horizontal stabilizer.  He came REALLY CLOSE to eating the big one.  Luckily he was able to shake it off and continue down to the closest airport and land.

I not only used the original locking system (external), I installed a micro switch on the lock tab that can only be depressed once the door is locked.  That is wired to an annunciator on my panel, right next to the annunciator telling me my tow bar IS STOWED (I built a tow bar stowage system too).  One of the beauties of the experimental building option.

Tom

Lancair Dec 1015 001.JPG

I haven't experienced the door open in flight but I did catch myself leaving it open once prior to start-up. Afterwards I developed a new routine to alleviate the problem. I have two keys on the keyring; one opens the doors (baggage and cockpit) while the other fits the ignition. When preparing the plane for flight the key remains in the baggage door lock. When it's time to board, the door gets locked. If I fail to close/lock the baggage door prior to boarding there's no key available to start the plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't ever lock the baggage door when I fly. But I do ensure that it's properly latched. My routine is to never have the door closed without latching it. Either it's standing open or it's latched shut. Finally, I reach back and give it a push at the same time I check the passenger door just prior to taking the runway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

On the Lancair IV a lot of builders liked to install a remote latch system, leaving the surface of the door clean without any exposed hardware or locks.  The second owner of Lancair International built his plane that way and the problem is you can't totally verify the door is locked when closed.  He had the baggage door open one flight and it sucked his airplane cover out of the compartment and it wrapped around his horizontal stabilizer.  He came REALLY CLOSE to eating the big one.  Luckily he was able to shake it off and continue down to the closest airport and land.

I not only used the original locking system (external), I installed a micro switch on the lock tab that can only be depressed once the door is locked.  That is wired to an annunciator on my panel, right next to the annunciator telling me my tow bar IS STOWED (I built a tow bar stowage system too).  One of the beauties of the experimental building option.

Tom

Lancair Dec 1015 001.JPG

Score one for Mooney.  You are not sucking an airplane cover out of that opening!  Glad that worked out.  THAT would of been a really bizarre way to buy it.

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I don't ever lock the baggage door when I fly. But I do ensure that it's properly latched. My routine is to never have the door closed without latching it. Either it's standing open or it's latched shut. Finally, I reach back and give it a push at the same time I check the passenger door just prior to taking the runway.

Yes, I use the same procedure.  If the door is open, it is full open.  If it is closed, it is latched. 

• Like 1

There, doesn't everyone feel better?  We have ALL been there.  Maybe not in our Mooney's, but we are human.  Except for that one guy :)  

So I am an always open guy.  Replaced a hinge because of that (wind and a bad hold open hinge-both corrected).  I am a closed and latched, but NOT a closed/latched/locked guy.  Seriously, have these come open in flight when latched?  You 100% KNOW of someone having this occur in a vintage Mooney?

I like the idea of someone being able to open from outside in an emergency to access a rear passenger vs. probability of latched door opening, but I am "open to change" IF I am shown evidence of this being a worthwhile pursuit...

I have to admit that when I left mine open (prior to start-up) it was in the wide-open position. I stepped right past it entering the plane. I then caught it on my pre-start cabin inspection. That is why I now employ the fail-safe routine.

It was drilled into me to always lock the closed door by both my first Mooney partner as well as a previous Mooney instructor, though I will admit that "securely closed" seems sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I don't think I can reach it in my tiny, 2 passenger, Super 21 without kicking my co-pilot! I'll have to try.

I have to slide my seat all the way back, which means I can't reach the brakes. But It just takes 2 seconds and I'm back on the brakes. While sitting in the run-up area at idle power it's quick, safe, and provides the extra peace of mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I don't think I can reach it in my tiny, 2 passenger, Super 21 without kicking my co-pilot! I'll have to try.

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'm not sure I could do this without standing on my copilot  (when I have one).

Edited by Hank

4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Reading through all of these messages it makes me think why Mooney didn't have an annunciator light for "Check Hatch".

Is there a difference in the newer Mooney's and older ones?   My 1981 M20K has a handle mounted to the luggage door to assist with stepping up and on to the wing walk.  I always give it a bit of a tug.   The only time I have ever been concerned is when my wife gets in the plane after me and also got into the luggage area.  --I've made her get out and check the luggage hatch on more than one occasion before start up.

1 minute ago, chrisk said:

Is there a difference in the newer Mooney's and older ones?   My 1981 M20K has a handle mounted to the luggage door to assist with stepping up and on to the wing walk.  I always give it a bit of a tug.   The only time I have ever been concerned is when my wife gets in the plane after me and also got into the luggage area.  --I've made her get out and check the luggage hatch on more than one occasion before start up.

That handle is on the baggage door of my '66E. But the latch closes tightly against the door and it is obvious if it is unlatched.

IMG_20160315_135834046_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20160315_135748544_HDR[2].jpg

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I'm not sure I could do this without standing on my copilot  (when I have one).

Just went flying today and can attest to the fact that with the seat slid back, I can indeed reach back and push on the baggage door to ensure it is fully latched.  I think I'll do that before engine start (Paul said he checks his just before takeoff but he's braver than me).

Ya gotta love the C!  (okay, yeah, the E, too.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

What just happened?  Did a C owner just show love for an E.  It is indeed a strange and beautiful day...

I never thought I would see the day when I could make a fancy long-bodied M20F owner jealous! :)

32 minutes ago, N1395W said:

I never thought I would see the day when I could make a fancy long-bodied M20F owner jealous! :)

I thought Nobody has an E that hasn't been gussied up. Certainly not like Marauder's F . . . .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

And on a related subject... I never leave the tow-bar attached. Use it and stow it. The fewer things to remember to check, the better it is for me.

I stow it as well (except once)….. When I told the owner the next day of my screw up he asked if acted like divining rod and pointed to the runway during the approach (smart ass). A week latter at lunch I was handed the tow-bar which is now a large and awkward key fob and reminded of when he was constantly losing his keys in collage and I took his keys a put them on a Hula-Hoop so they would be easier to find and that he has patiently waited 37 yrs to pay me back. :D

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:14 AM, markazzarito said:

I opened the baggage door to grab a screwdriver while fueling. Im not sure if i simply didnt latch it  or if i left it locked open. I think its unlikely it was left wide open. I would have had to pass it on my way into the plane.

One might be well advised to never close the hatch without latching/locking, Much like never put a nut on a bolt without torqueing, this would be a best practice that could possibly keep this from ever going pear shaped on you.

10 hours ago, Hank said:

I thought Nobody has an E that hasn't been gussied up. Certainly not like Marauder's F . . . .

I'm not sure why I thought Scott had an F, it must've just got stuck in my brain that way.

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Sex on wheels....That's Marauder's bird. :)

+1