201er's Caribbean Adventure #2

201er

Love USVI, where you staying?  I like Point Pleasant Resort.  

For those asking about flying the Caribbean.  I did a trip to Caymans and Jamaica a couple years ago and used Jim's site which is up to date on all details.  I just went through and paper clipped documents, money (mostly cash in the islands), etc. for each stop and stuck in an accordion folder.  A couple hours of research on his site (and he is helpful if you contact him) and prep and was a super easy process.  Everything went according to Hoyle which in the islands is saying something. 

Membership comes with a free Cuba overflight permit which Jim does so that alone basically pays membership fee.  

Edited by M20F
Add Cuba over flight comment

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Just fly regularly in IMC, or wash the belly a lot . . . Uric acid can be quite corrosive. Besides, Mikey's still a young buck.

A well located venturi will not produce corrosion, thousands of plane have it. But if you suspect corrosion due your urine check:

http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/uric-acid-in-blood

It maybe a worse condition on you that on your plane.

José

Thanks for the concern, Jose, but I don't pee on my plane. Nor do I use beverage containers, I just wait til I land. I'm also not a chemist, but figured it's called "uric acid" because it is acidic (pH<7), so it could easily attack aluminum, especially along joints and seams where it could sit for quite a while if not washed out. There have been many sad stories of the destructive effects of rat/mouse urine in airplanes.

The Venturi does nothing but create suction to pull it out of the cockpit and into the airstream, spraying it out behind. Or are you saying you don't get any on the belly of the plane? I find that difficult to believe.

I still say Mike is young enough to not know about the DRE yet, much les BPH.

I think you guys may be mixing up urea with uric acid.  One is in human pee, the other is in bird pee.

Connecting a bird to piloto's device may have adverse effects.

uric acid that blood deposits in a crystal form is the basis for gout.

If Mike brings back a live fish from the carribean, ammonia would be the related challenge.

Hmmmm...  It's hard to not be familiar with BPH.  You would have to avoid watching all television...

From Siri's Biology 102...

Best regards,

-a-

I think you guys should check out AD 2008-03-10  http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/7318ACCA46855EEE862573E600580310?OpenDocument "This AD results from leaking of the cockpit mounted pilot relief tube, which caused corrosion of the airplane structure."  --So I have no doubt a relief tube can cause corrosion.  How much when properly installed is another matter (where I don't know the answer).

As for me, I fly with only my family in the plane (or other pilots).  I also stay well hydrated, chugging from a huge bottle of Iced Tea, just like 201er.  I find the empty bottle makes a great receptacle.  I'm well past the "embarrassment".  My wife on the other hand is not, and makes a mad dash for the rest room as soon as the prop stops.  --I do hope Mrs 201er was not tortured badly.

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

After looking at his FlightAware track, I and my bladder salute you! Ah, to have a young and agile prostrate!

be7f80fca06cba09a39685996d052178.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beware that the cap on this bottle can leak when tipped. I used to have one and replaced for this one with an O-ring on the cap. Avoid loosing the cap underneath the seat, it gets messy.

Pee Bottle.jpg

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

irnK1BWCUsY.jpg

Flew from Flordia to St Thomas today. This will be the longest single flight of the trip. It took just under 7 and a half hours. First there was a westerly tailwind push from the US but it waned into an easterly wind approaching the islands.

bD3yCZos-NU.jpg

Cruising altitude was 9000ft for smoothest ride, best winds, and efficiency. Worked out really well for efficiency. 18nmpg, 145ktas, 8.5gph, up to 155kts ground speed. All this at under 65% power. 120kias put me right at Carson's speed. Topped the tanks at fort pierce, arrived with 35+ gallons still remaining! Gas here is expensive ($6.96) so efficiency pays off more.

Flew the ILS to 10 right at sunset. Tomorrow, all day on the island.

Edited by 201er
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, 201er said:

I got crabs on St Thomas... And my wife approves!

Are you going to be able to make it to Magen's Beach?  One of the 10 best in the world, apparently.   I was there in 1988.