Exhaust spring question

Enclosed is a picture of my exhaust spring.  I only have one.  When I look at other Mooneys of my era and I read the parts manual it shows two.

In my picture you can clearly see there is only one that looks factory installed. 

I bought two new ones from LASAR because I figured that I would just reinstall the one and replace the second. 

Does anyone else only have one?  

IMG_5688.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace

Found this diagram in the parts manual and although it does show two I see it is only on one post.  Some planes I have seen have two posts.  I guess we will just hook it up to the one post.

IMG_5695.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace

I've been able to silver solder (hard braze) these things back together, don't throw them away.  I thought for sure they would be no longer available.  With the dual pipe exhaust on my A model, there are 4.  Silver solder is high strength and very fatigue resistant.  Just curious, what do these cost from Lasar?

• 4 weeks later...

Talked to LASAR today about the kit in SB M20-144....$400.00 is a bit spendy, so I ordered 2 new springs ($27.00 ea.). I remember reading somewhere to angle the exhaust pipe down to help with heat & noise, but can't find any reference to what it should be. I have a 65 E with the Hanlon & Wilson muffler any ideas where to find the angle of the exhaust pipe?

On 4/14/2016 at 1:32 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Mine has a rubber strap...hmmm

That is just no ordinary rubber, the suggested wisdom is to use an old tire.  cutting a tire is harder than you think.  Once you cut a square out of an old tire you might realize that a $100.00 tire will probably work just as well as a $300.00 tire

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, HRM said:

My 'absorber' is pretty much shot. Looks almost like <gasp> asbestos strapping:

IMG_8660.jpg.c43b14e0516e15fbe967973197a99bb0.jpg

I seek CB, safe and workable solutions. TIA.

That is definitely not a Mooney part.  Check out the out the link to the SB above.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

The auto parts retailers sell muffler hangers for about $10. 

IMG_20171011_114616932.jpg

I had one like that. When it failed, my A&P made a new one from the sidewall of an old airplane tire he had laying around the hangar . . . Lot les than $10.

31 minutes ago, Hank said:

I had one like that. When it failed, my A&P made a new one from the sidewall of an old airplane tire he had laying around the hangar . . . Lot les than $10.

Actually $8 or less. So free costs more unless your A&P spent less than 5 minutes making it.

I judge that the store bought hanger is tougher, purpose designed, with holes punched... Mine is several years old and going strong.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-hanger-35475/5601746-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=5601746-P&adtype=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8PXp4_B2gIVTiOBCh0rlQAeEAkYDSABEgJJxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 minutes ago, David Herman said:

I love you guys, I really do, 

... but I am amazed at us all. 

We spend $$$$ on Instrument Panels, GPSs, bladders, digital fuel sending units, windshields, cowls, new carpet ... then brag whose muffler hanger is cheaper ... LOL.

I do it too.

We have a rubber strap.

To be precise, we spend $$$$$. Except Don Kaye who spends $$$$$$.$$. :P But I think you know you're a hypocrite to point out Hank's silliness.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Herman said:

I love you guys, I really do, ... but I am amazed at us all!

We spend $$$$ on Instrument Panels, GPSs, bladders, digital fuel sending units, windshields, cowls, new carpet ... then brag over saving $2 on whose muffler hanger  is cheaper ... LOL.

I do it too.

We have a rubber strap. (Edited to add photo for OP)

1B0D4CB3-CFE0-4E8A-A575-8596EB4D455B.jpeg

Where do you think we get all that $$$$ for panel upgrades. $2 here, $5 there all add up :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1