anyone tried the skybolt cowl fasteners?

rbridges

I noticed over the years that there is a lot of wear around the camloc fasteners.  I found the skybolt website and spoke with someone.  I guess they send a kit and let you pick and choose the ones that fit.  Has anyone tried them.  For $300, I'd like to get some feedback before buying them.  Also, I have a 201 cowl, but no serial # to the plane that donated it.  There are 2 packages available for 201 mooneys.  Anyone know the differences in any of the 201 cowls (serial #'s 0001-1458 and 1459+)?

I was disappointed with their 1/4 turn fasteners as used on our vintage cowl side panels. the pins were not well "bradded" resulting in them falling out. I suspect I've reworked most of them. 

A little pricey for what they are. I don't think I've bought and of their sockets.

https://store.skybolt.com/phillips-sk27s3s-series---replace-airloc-1127009-c1202.aspx

It is certainly possible they've corrected this problem. I would ask and if they claim they have never had a problem I would be skeptical of whatever else they told me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I was disappointed with their 1/4 turn fasteners as used on our vintage cowl side panels. the pins were not well "bradded" resulting in them falling out. I suspect I've reworked most of them. 

A little pricey for what they are. I don't think I've bought and of their sockets.

https://store.skybolt.com/phillips-sk27s3s-series---replace-airloc-1127009-c1202.aspx

It is certainly possible they've corrected this problem. I would ask and if they claim they have never had a problem I would be skeptical of whatever else they told me.

I'm thinking about buying the sk28s3 separately.  It's the same as the ones in your link except the wider flange.

Just now, rbridges said:

I'm thinking about buying the sk28s3 separately.  It's the same as the ones in your link except the wider flange.

I went back to my records, here's what I actually bought in April 2013. (Some need to be longer when sheet metal is overlapped.)

Caution, I have a '66 M20E, not a 201.

Product        Qty        Unit Price        Ext Price
SK-4P3 SK-4P3
  1   $24.00   $24.00       

SK40S5-6S
  10   $3.19   $31.90
SK40S5-3S
  30   $3.19   $95.70
  • Like 1

Thanks, Bob.  I think I use those to connect the posterior section to the fuselage.  Those appear to look fine.  The upper and lower cowl pieces are held together with 2700 series camlocs.  Those are the ones I'm thinking about using the sk28s3 which I guess are the 2800 series camlocs.  

Just now, mooniac15u said:

On an actual 201 the farthest aft 2700 series camloc is longer than the rest. It's listed as a 27S3-7 and the rest are 27S3-4. It might be different on your installation. 

I didn't realize that was by design.  I'm using -6 for the aft ones. They are probably supposed to be -7 but the fiberglass has worn.

• Like 1

I used Skybolt fasteners throughout the cowling.  The larger 4000 series fasteners are the preferred ones and I used then on the rear cowling edge/firewall interface.  I started with a J model cowling and the 2000 series Skybolts are on the upper cowling/lower cowling interface.  The 4000's are adjustable.  The 2000's are not but you can get a variety of lengths to get what you need for a flush fit.  They work well.

John Breda

• Like 1

2800%20camloc_zps5yemm1yl.jpg

this is the 2800 series camloc from skybolt.  I thought I ordered longer camlocs to accomodate a nylon washer.  Even going 2 sizes longer all the way around, they fit perfectly but no room for the washer.  I'll check them out in 50 hours or so and see how they're looking.  I will go 1 size longer to add the washers if it looks necessary.

If the head is that far below the level of the washer it is overdriven, the next size longer would fit real nice and flush.

The 2800s are nice to cover worn cowl holes, but it does often require a longer fastener since it doesnt really fit inside the countersunk part.

• Like 1

Anyone found a good "retaining" solution  for those fasteners ?

The holes in the fiberglass get bigger with wear but larger retainer washer cannot be used because they need to fit inside the fastener receiver   - With time , I know which one will fall and I take them off before they go like grasshoppers when they fall

37 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Incidentally, if you are ordering, I prefer the flat screwdriver slot ones. It is easy to look at a row of them and know which ones are fully set, by seeing the slots line up.

Good idea.  I went with phillips b/c the larger camlocs were already phillips.  Just more more convenient to have one screwdriver to remove the cowl.

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Two choices...

1) Slotted head alignment is nice, as Don described...

2) Phillips heads are easier to keep the driver away from the paint...  Personal issue.

Best regards,

-a-

I agree that scratching the paint is easier with the slotted. Those of us with the slots learn to use two hands. One thumb and forefinger go on each side of the screwdriver, pressed against the painted surface to keep the screwdriver from slipping. And even then, it is iffy.

• Like 2