Looking for PiREP on aspen ea-100 install rather than KI 256 overhaul

Looking for real world experience on Aspen's ea100 install to eliminate autopilot inputs from KI 256. Mine finally bit the dust and I was debating not overhauling it and installing an ea100 with my aspen 1000 pfd along with cheaper vacuum powered backup AI. Quoted $2700 for the ea100 unit and about 35-40 hours of labor to install.... Otherwise I am sending my KI256 along with Kc295 to aerolab aviation for overhaul and calibration. This is for a KFC200 A/P in my K model.

Thoughts?

Looking for real world experience on Aspen's ea100 install to eliminate autopilot inputs from KI 256. Mine finally bit the dust and I was debating not overhauling it and installing an ea100 with my aspen 1000 pfd along with cheaper vacuum powered backup AI. Quoted $2700 for the ea100 unit and about 35-40 hours of labor to install.... Otherwise I am sending my KI256 along with Kc295 to aerolab aviation for overhaul and calibration. This is for a KFC200 A/P in my K model.

Thoughts?

I know bnicolette had one on his Baron. You might want to check with him to see how well it controlled the Baron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Godfather said:

35-40 hours for installing the ea100?  That sounds a little high...I was probably naively thinking the pfd and ea100 install would take around 40 hrs for both.

I was thinking it was pretty steep also so i wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had one installed. I already have the PFD1000PRO installed but my avionics guy said it is a lot more than it seems like?

I have an EA100 hooked to a KFC200 in a 231.  Also have the APS4A altitude preselect system.  I can't comment on whether or not it's any better at driving than the old KI256 was. We ripped all that out before I ever flew the plane.  It works great, I was out shooting coupled approaches in a 25 knot crosswind last week and it nailed them all.  I would have to think it's more reliable than the old gyro.  Plus, I like the idea that I am staring at the same attitude indicator thats driving the autopilot.  Concentrating on the Aspen PFD while the KI256 flies the plane didn't seem like the most ideal situation.  We are an Aspen dealer, 40 hours is not unrealistic for installation.  If done in conjunction with the PFD it will be less labor.  

Edited by jclemens

So it sounds like an installed EA100 will cost around 4-5 amu depending if the unit is added at the same time or after everything is buttoned up.  The ki300 might be a good for you if they can push it out in the next couple of weeks.  It could continue driving the AP and be a great backup AI.  The online price of the ki is ~5.3 amu...

To follow up on this; EA100 install was too much money for what it required on install. Sent the KI256 to Aerolab Aviation for Bob Bramble to overhaul along with the flight computer and control panel. Cost for overhaul was $1950.00 plus $400 to re calibrate it with my flight computer. 

I wrote to Bendix-King's customer service email last week inquiring about the KI300 and expected availability...  NO REPLY from B/K yet....  And it's now coming up on the end of Q1....didn't they say early 2016 availability???

I wrote to Bendix-King's customer service email last week inquiring about the KI300 and expected availability...  NO REPLY from B/K yet....  And it's now coming up on the end of Q1....didn't they say early 2016 availability???

Their unit of time measurement is years. Look how long it took them to get the KSN 770 out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, carqwik said:

I called BK a few days ago with same inquiry. I was told that they're are ready on their end but waiting for FAA blessing. Hopefully soon.

Guest Mike261
9 hours ago, carqwik said:

I have emails into them too, don't hold your breath. I received no answers either. I was waiting for the KI 300 trying to stall, but alas i ended up overhauling my A/I, and today as we speak...vacuum pump. I'm going to be all in for more than half the promised price of the KI-300, and i still have to live with old clunky technology that has too many failure points, and insidious failure modes. I'm probably in the minority on this...although i do think the electronic stuff is more dependable than than the old school instruments and gauges, i don't like the clutter of the displays. Most stuff i read indicates that pilots prefer all the info in one place, but personally all the overlay and tapes on a little screen doesn't work for me...seems cluttered. I just want an attitude indicator. so throwing an aspen or something else in there is out. The KI 300 would fit my bill perfectly. I recently had a JPI EDM 900 installed. The old fuel pressure gauge crapped out and the other engine gauges were on their way. the most cost effective and reliable path was a primary engine monitor. I do like the fact that i have all of this new information about the individual cylinders that i never had before, but i find the display to be too crowded, and it takes more than a glance to interpret all the information. overall I don't like the engine monitor and wish i left the original gauges in there along with it...i find them easier to scan. I attribute this to the fact that i spent most of my flying life on steam gauges and i'm comfortable with them. I get feedback from places i was trained to look, and feel comfortable interpreting them. On the flip side, trying to determine my position in space while being vectored or not on an airway always gave me fits. Attempting to know my position while tuning radios, flying the airplane, and twiddling two vor's always filled my bucket to the top. Vectoring to an ILS was an exercise in trusting the controller for a good turn because in reality i had only the needle deflection to alert me as to how close in he was turning me. Now i have an Ipad with stratus receiver and i always know exactly where i am with geo referenced plates. I have a back up ipad as well, i consider it a deal breaker for IFR flights...wouldn't fly without it. I can't figure myself out to tell you the truth, i'm comfortable with the technology on one hand, but i just can't get comfortable with the whole panel being condensed down to one screen. it appears you can only teach an old dog a limited amount of new tricks.

Mike