New Interior Panels from Mooney

Mike A

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, DaV8or said:

To those that have upgraded their interiors themselves, is there a better solution to fastening the panels onto the airframe then the idiot sheet metal screws into thin aluminum the factory used?

Yes, Bruce Jaeger has developed his spatial interior system using modern tech auto fasteners and commercial grade panels.

www.jaegeraviation.com

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, DaV8or said: To those that have upgraded their interiors themselves, is there a better solution to fastening the panels onto the airframe then the idiot sheet metal screws into thin aluminum the factory used?

Yes, Bruce Jaeger has developed his spatial interior system using modern tech auto fasteners and commercial grade panels.

www.jaegeraviation.com

Mike -- do you know of anyone who has these interiors posted on the site (a complete after everything is done picture)?

I've gotten the green light to have my interior done by the CFO and am starting to look at these much closer.

Before I empty my wallet, I would like to see examples in person if possible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

Mike -- do you know of anyone who has these interiors posted on the site (a complete after everything is done picture)?

I've gotten the green light to have my interior done by the CFO and am starting to look at these much closer.

I'm kind of in the same boat, and really hoping someone will be taking one to OSH so I can see it in person.

8 hours ago, Marauder said: Mike -- do you know of anyone who has these interiors posted on the site (a complete after everything is done picture)?

I'm kind of in the same boat, and really hoping someone will be taking one to OSH so I can see it in person.

I'm going to start a new topic on this. I had a great conversation with Bruce Jaeger today and want to run something by the group.

38 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm going to start a new topic on this. I had a great conversation with Bruce Jaeger today and want to run something by the group.

I'm curious to hear what you have to say. It's time for some changes to our J.

Edited by flyboy0681

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ask Bruce to bring a Spatial Interior Mooney to Oshkosh.  I think I'd buy if I had a chance to sit in one and see for myself how it felt.

14 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

sure, I have some pics of these in my F after I did it 2 years ago. Its in my gallery. Major Phil Bies owns the plane now if your up to a trip to SC.

or you can see them here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7met1astg3adx3a/AAA1kUMh1OJo3XUPgO4lm2wIa?dl=0

Thanks Mike. Bruce indicated he has new designs. I was really hoping to see them while he was here on the east coast. It looks like they are attached with some sort of industrial Velcro. 

I have just completed a panel upgrade and refresh of the interior.  I looked at new plastics, but opted to refinish the old ones to save the $3,500+ that plane plastics wanted.  The old panels were fiberglassed from the back side to repair and strengthen cracked and stressed areas.  there were a couple of holes and larger cracks that were fiberglassed from the front as well.  It is not perfect, but is a tremendous improvement.  I also made some new side panels to compliment the new seats.  A before and after picture follows:

Old Front Seats.jpgIMG_4085.JPGOld Panel.jpgRefinished Interior.jpg

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 3

Just now, bradp said:

Brandon so you have any pics of the back side of the panels i.e. Your fiberglass handiwork?  Did you just inlay with MEK or another solvent or use a resin?

I did not take any pictures of the back side of the panels while in progress.  The fiberglassing was fairly simple though.  I cleaned the area to be fiberglassed with acetone.  Acetone actually softens up the plastic and will form a weak bond of the cracks.  This helps for the alignment of the cracks while laying glass over them.  I generally keep a fair amount of glass mat around that I use for model airplanes (Hobbyking has the lowest prices on glass mat) and used three differing weights dependent upon what was being repaired.  I use a very lightweight mat for the front side repairs to give them a smooth finish.  I used chop (i.e., finely cut up mat) to fill in holes and laid mat over the top for a good finish.  Bondo epoxy resin will do the trick.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2016 at 11:13 AM, DaV8or said:

To those that have upgraded their interiors themselves, is there a better solution to fastening the panels onto the airframe then the idiot sheet metal screws into thin aluminum the factory used?

My lower Antique Moss (was a bad idea in 1975) factory cardboard over carpet panels were replaced with leather over alum. sheets.  There were places I did not want to drill a hole in the panel so I used 2 inch black velcro off the roll. (sourced from the sewing section of wally world).   Also used to put the carpet down.  The carpet has not moved.  The side panels are a bit of a pain to get off (trick is to insert a screw driver and break it loose)  and some of the velcro did not stick to the wall.  I will go back and screw/tie wrap them on.   The front kick panel could also benefit from velcro as the screws seem to not stay put in the alum sheets that are back there to screw into.

The interior and panel overhaul is in the books. I have some serious sweat equity in this one, but I believe it turned out great. I even repainted the wing walk. It was a fun project, but I am glad it is done. Now off to Miami and the Keys for the weekend. (Fruits of the labor)

288d4d3d27c2ee943f08207330b52a3a.jpg347a77e3db3351a334530e206600d1df.jpg7166fffa8a3026f15ba41fc0875cd1a8.jpg4c55ff29b13284089f450ef3a856455e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

The interior and panel overhaul is in the books. I have some serious sweat equity in this one, but I believe it turned out great. I even repainted the wing walk. It was a fun project, but I am glad it is done. Now off to Miami and the Keys for the weekend.

Brad, you did an absolutely awesome job with your interior and panels! First class all the way!

Doesn't feel great that you saved all that money too?

For me that was the motivating factor. I looked at the work involved and the cost to benefit. A 12k or there abouts interior definitely doesn't look 9k better than my <3K interior I did myself.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, Brandontwalker said:

I have just completed a panel upgrade and refresh of the interior.  I looked at new plastics, but opted to refinish the old ones to save the $3,500+ that plane plastics wanted.  The old panels were fiberglassed from the back side to repair and strengthen cracked and stressed areas.  there were a couple of holes and larger cracks that were fiberglassed from the front as well.  It is not perfect, but is a tremendous improvement.  I also made some new side panels to compliment the new seats.  A before and after picture follows:

IMG_4085.JPG

You know what would make the seat on the left look even better? Cranks to make it go up and down!

Edited by flyboy0681
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PTK said:

Brad, you did an absolutely awesome job with your interior and panels! First class all the way!

Doesn't feel great that you saved all that money too?

For me that was the motivating factor. I looked at the work involved and the cost to benefit. A 12k or there abouts interior definitely doesn't look 9k better than my <3K interior I did myself.

It was a ton of work, but saving money was the motivating factor.  Not counting the instrument panel work, I have $1,670 in the interior upgrade.  I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 11:40 PM, FlyingFool said:

Brandon,

Where did you get those seats done?

Thanks

Hey FF!  It has been a while since I checked in. I purchased all materials and obtained the requisite FAA burn certs. I then had a local auto upholstery shop do the work. Unfortunately, they went out of business a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1