New Interior Panels from Mooney

Mike A

The interior plastic on my plane was not in the best shape when I bought it. I knew that I would have to do something in the near future.  If I remember correctly, I was quoted right around $9,000 for new plastic from the factory.  Plane Plastics was right around $3,000. Yes, I had to do quite a bit of trimming but the results were really good and 1/3 the cost.  I had a couple of panels that I couldn't make fit well.  Plane Plastics had me send them my original pieces and made exact copies for me.  I kept the original replacement panels in the plane until the new ones were delivered.  No additional cost.  

Plane Plastics did right by me.

I have worked with Aero Comfort as well.  They do quality work.  If you elect to have your panels covered I'm sure you will be satisfied. No idea what they would charge.

Airtex will also cover your panels but, I think they only use textile products.  You would have to call them for details.

I've heard about the trimming nightmares with plane plastics and I just bought two pieces, an emergency gear extension cover and a right kick panel. I was expecting a horrible time. The kick panel fit perfectly with no trimming and was much better quality/thicker plastic than the original. The gear cover only required trimming for the holes for the extension hardware and was really easy. So only two data points and the parts may not be representative of other pieces, but it was a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying plastic from the factory will not guarantee they will fit without trimming them.  It will guarantee that it will cost three times as much.  Aerocomfort certainly does good work, but there are others that can cover your existing plastic with ultra leather or another material of your choice.  One of them has my Bonanza right now, they are a lot cheaper than aerocomfort, and they are right down the street.  PM me if you want to know who to talk to in the Central FL area for interior work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had mine done at KFPR, my images have before and after photos.  The headliner and other trim pieces were covered in leather, the few trim pieces painted, i had the ashtrays removed, and the seats modernized....those ugly headrests. I didn't bother with the yokes or glareshield since they are in good shape.

So, for you guys who had Aerocomfort do the work, did you post any "pre" work photos. I'm committed to redoing my interior this Fall and am looking for what can be done with the late F, early J models.

I met up with Airtex at Sun N Fun and had a good talk with one of their installers. Since they are near me, I will fly over and have them give me an estimate.

I would love to modernize if possible (like pockets & eyeball vents) and not just cover what I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To those that have upgraded their interiors themselves, is there a better solution to fastening the panels onto the airframe then the idiot sheet metal screws into thin aluminum the factory used?

1 hour ago, DaV8or said:

To those that have upgraded their interiors themselves, is there a better solution to fastening the panels onto the airframe then the idiot sheet metal screws into thin aluminum the factory used?

If there is, I'd sure like to hear about it.

When we bought our airplane, nothing in the Brittain autopilot system worked, not even the wing leveler.  The first problem we found was an interior panel screw in the baggage compartment, which at some point had been installed so as to center punch a hole in one of the servo vacuum lines. :-(

1 hour ago, DaV8or said:

Could use regular screws, but the tapping process would be time consuming and expensive, probably add a AMU to the cost of a new plane.:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, DaV8or said:

6-32 rivnuts and stainless machine screws.  Takes more time to install the first time, saves time and frustration after that.

I decided to get rid of the old, broken plastic side panels in my C model and had the guys at Advantage Interiors (Donegal Springs Airpark, N71) custom build some new ones covered in the same fabric/vinyl as my seats. They were on time, on budget and the quality is excellent. 

http://advantageinteriors.com

photo 1.JPG

• Like 1

I decided to get rid of the old, broken plastic side panels in my C model and had the guys at Advantage Interiors (Donegal Springs Airpark, N71) custom build some new ones covered in the same fabric/vinyl as my seats. They were on time, on budget and the quality is excellent. 

http://advantageinteriors.com

photo 1.JPG

Chris -- I just found out about the Donegal guys. Would love to talk to you about their workmanship. I will PM you to see if we can talk live. I have a pretty busy schedule today but would like to catch up with you.

15 hours ago, N1395W said:

6-32 rivnuts and stainless machine screws.  Takes more time to install the first time, saves time and frustration after that.

That's exactly what I was contemplating doing.

I've been contemplating the Spatial Interior but I wanted to see one up close before pulling the $3000 trigger.

I did rivnuts and screws on my first Mooney and Aztec.  If I don't go Spatial I'll do it again next year on my current M20C.

Edited by N1395W

19 hours ago, N1395W said:

What exactly do the rivnuts go through?  I recall removing my plastic in a 67C most of the screws were into holes in the tubing.

2 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

What exactly do the rivnuts go through?  I recall removing my plastic in a 67C most of the screws were into holes in the tubing.

Well, if they go through aluminum, put in the rivnut. I it goes into the steel tubing, maybe tap it for a machine screw.

4 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

I was always taught never to drill holes in steel tube that forms structure.

There should be at least some sheet metal around on the floor, under the windows, where the gear crank/step crank is, etc.

For other areas, you will have to get creative.  I usually will use two Adel cushion clamps with a piece of sheet aluminum (2"x6" or so) between them. The Adel clamps go on the steel tube, the sheet aluminum can be drilled into for securely mounting the interior panel. If I had a picture, I'd post it.  Sorry if my description is inadequate for this fairly simple idea.

In the past few months I pulled the interior out of a TLS and had Aero Comfort cover the Royalite plastic panels in ultraleather. (At the same time all the carpet and the seats came out as well.)

I then reinstalled all the panels using the same hardware I removed. The heads of the screws were pre-painted to match the new color of the ultraleather. Every place there was a hole on the plastic panel, I used an awl to make a small hole through the ultraleather and then had to make sure it went into the hole sheet metal. A small electric screwdriver from Harbor Freight was very useful.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The covering on each panel just adds a couple ounces of weight, but it adds a lot of strength and durability. The panels were yellowed and were very fragile to take out of the airplane. They were much more durable to re-install. The panels in this airplane were in good shape to begin with, but even if they had been cracked and pretty beat up, Aero Comfort would have repaired them. Once they are covered they are like new.

I'm glad I did it for the experience of getting to know the airplane, but I came away realizing that the guys who do this for a living earn every cent they charge.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, N1395W said:

I was always taught never to drill holes in steel tube that forms structure.

There should be at least some sheet metal around on the floor, under the windows, where the gear crank/step crank is, etc.

For other areas, you will have to get creative.  I usually will use two Adel cushion clamps with a piece of sheet aluminum (2"x6" or so) between them. The Adel clamps go on the steel tube, the sheet aluminum can be drilled into for securely mounting the interior panel. If I had a picture, I'd post it.  Sorry if my description is inadequate for this fairly simple idea.

You're correct.  I went back and looked at the pictures and there were pieces of sheet aluminum attached to the frame or the windows into which the screws were tapped.

On April 18, 2016 at 8:40 AM, LANCECASPER said:

In the past few months I pulled the interior out of a TLS and had Aero Comfort cover the Royalite plastic panels in ultraleather. (At the same time all the carpet and the seats came out as well.)

I then reinstalled all the panels using the same hardware I removed. The heads of the screws were pre-painted to match the new color of the ultraleather. Every place there was a hole on the plastic panel, I used an awl to make a small hole through the ultraleather and then had to make sure it went into the hole sheet metal. A small electric screwdriver from Harbor Freight was very useful.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The covering on each panel just adds a couple ounces of weight, but it adds a lot of strength and durability. The panels were yellowed and were very fragile to take out of the airplane. They were much more durable to re-install. The panels in this airplane were in good shape to begin with, but even if they had been cracked and pretty beat up, Aero Comfort would have repaired them. Once they are covered they are like new.

I'm glad I did it for the experience of getting to know the airplane, but I came away realizing that the guys who do this for a living earn every cent they charge.

Before and after pictures !!!! :-)

• Like 1