another Mooney goes in

Glad he walked away. Hope he recovers. N242TS is the tail number.

I don't want to be in that situation, however if I lose an engine on takeoff, I too hope to be able to walk away.

Again, here's to a quick recovery.

-Seth

10 minutes ago, Seth said:

Glad he walked away. Hope he recovers. N242TS is the tail number.

I don't want to be in that situation, however if I lose an engine on takeoff, I too hope to be able to walk away.

Again, here's to a quick recovery.

-Seth

+1

EVERY pilot's nightmare...

Here's to his seeing those he care's about again.  Well done!

2 hours ago, orionflt said:

By the look of the tail I think he stalled it in trying to make the runway environment. 

Brian

I'm trying to figure out what/how he hit. Please expand on your analysis. Doesn't a stall usually result in a nose first dive? 

I am curious about the plane's attitude when it made contact with the ground.  The tail bend looks like it may have hit tail first or made contact with a tree on landing.  Glad to see it held together and hopefully only minor injuries. 

18 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'm trying to figure out what/how he hit. Please expand on your analysis. Doesn't a stall usually result in a nose first dive? 

Does not look like a stall to me either. It looks like it came in at a shallow angle and got pinballed by the terrain.  You can see that it was not under power when it hit, but that one of the prop blades (on the right) took a hard hit and at an angle. That would have caused the plane to yaw right, pushing the tail left.  If you look carefully in the pics, you can see the pilot's side horizontal stab took a hard hit (likely while in that left yawing condition) which likely forced the empennage into it's current position. You can also see that the nosecone hit something almost dead on.  The fact that the cowl is not deformed suggests that it did not hit nose low.

My armchair analysis looking at the wreckage is that this guy did it right. He likely flew it all the way into the crash. Admirable job...!

• Like 1

With the way the tail is twisted to the side and it looks like he was low to the ground, pulling back on the yoke bringing the nose up, when the aircraft stalled the aircraft would have settled on the tail as the wing lost lift. Being close to the ground the twisting of the wing drop would translate to the tail that had already impacted. 

Brian

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

That's what I would think.  If energy is transferred to the tail rather than the nose, do to a deep flare two or three feet from the ground, that is close to a perfect forced landing.  Vs trying to stretch the glide at 50+ feet and auguring in nose first.

I always feel a bit tepid about Monday-Morning-Quarterbacking someone's crash landing, as if I would do better, but I think this is a VERY good activity for all of us, since what we are really doing is a form of practice/currency.  We are visualizing what we would want to do and not to do in such a situation.  SO we are training ourselves to hopefully have a plan and basic methods if it ever happens to us.  Hopefully I would do as I wish I would do in my monday morning quarter back analysis.

I am so glad this fellow seems to have had a reasonable outcome, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

There is no indication that the horizontal stabs hit anything. It almost looks like he wrapped it around a solid object. The left aileron also appears not to be attached.

I think I have seen this Mooney at New Garden buying fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Danb said:

Looks like a great job of piloting,thank god he seems ok. Better result than that poor cirrus last week. I wonder if he's one of us on MS.

Assuming you are talking about this Incident, how is this a better result?

I am always happy to see how intact the fuselage of a Mooney is after a crash. The whole plane can be mangled beyond recognition, but the part that protects your bacon stays whole!

I'm sure Alan the Boogie Man smells an opportunity here... :(

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

There is no indication that the horizontal stabs hit anything. It almost looks like he wrapped it around a solid object. The left aileron also appears not to be attached.

image.thumb.png.22cb28fd0d87b00330140982

That horizontal stab looks unimpacted to you?

3 hours ago, Marauder said: There is no indication that the horizontal stabs hit anything. It almost looks like he wrapped it around a solid object. The left aileron also appears not to be attached.

image.thumb.png.22cb28fd0d87b00330140982fe93e290.png

That horizontal stab looks unimpacted to you?

There is damage to the left horizontal stab, but don't you think to bend the entire tail almost to a 90° angle would cause a lot more damage than just damage to the tip?

7009dae2366149dd6ce59b2bbc71af2a.jpg

feb80d69869c889450bec99617f2fa69.jpg