Which Propeller should I go with

Three blade McCaulley that works with Sabre's cowl mod.  No complaints in over a decade of operation.  

Speed-130-160 knots 10LOP (depending on winds)

Vibration-What vibration?

Weight Penalty-935lbs useful load.  Has not been an issue

Service-Not yet overhauled.  Hung in 13 years of operation.

Climb-Over 1000'/Min pitched for 120MPH up to at least 4K (unless high density)  Summary-Excellent!

Decent/Slowing Down-Definitely does slow plane down with a pull of power.  Like having a speed brake out front

Ramp Appeal-Superior to a two blade (more from large bullet polished spinner than extra blade)  Summary-Looks great

59 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I'm not sure which prop MT sells for the 4 cylinder models, but my MT (K model) is also 74 inches.

You must need it when that thing is operating in the stratosphere.

Honestly I am not big on the looks of a three blade prop, but if the MT is 20lbs lighter than the Top Prop I would grow to like it. And living in the mountains the density levels really start to climb come summer time. The added climb performance of the three blade would be an added bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to do some research on props. Looking at the spects the Hartzell Top Prop two blades and hub weighs 62-64lbs. And the MT three blade prop and hub weighs 46lbs. Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

Yes, the MT is the lightest prop package available for our planes. I wish they had a 2 blade option for us. I've been happy with my 3 blade MT for many years now after some initial paint failures and associated warranty work.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, the MT is the lightest prop package available for our planes. I wish they had a 2 blade option for us. I've been happy with my 3 blade MT for many years now after some initial paint failures and associated warranty work.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/9/2016 at 7:41 PM, Hank said:

Book speed for my C is 161-164 mph with a 2-blade prop. The Hartzell 3-blade flies me around at 172 mph true at 9000-10,000 msl. So much for 3-blades being slow . . .

Theoretical book speeds are one thing but apples to apples is another. Would be nice to know what mph true a 2 blade gives you also!

6 hours ago, PTK said:

Theoretical book speeds are one thing but apples to apples is another. Would be nice to know what mph true a 2 blade gives you also!

The 3 blade was installed already when I bought the plane.

Brian Lloyd put the MT 3 blade on his 231 for his Amelia Earhart around the world flight. I think he's leaving tomorrow. After a speed run to NYC and back, he's determined the MT is costing him a few knots from the original metal three blade. I'm not sure which one it is. So the MT has come off and the metal prop is back on   for the big flight.

7 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Brian Lloyd put the MT 3 blade on his 231 for his Amelia Earhart around the world flight. I think he's leaving tomorrow. After a speed run to NYC and back, he's determined the MT is costing him a few knots from the original metal three blade. I'm not sure which one it is. So the MT has come off and the metal prop is back on   for the big flight.

Any links to his adventure?  After I get 4-500 hrs on the new engine I'm thinking a wtw trip might be a possibility. 

21 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Any links to his adventure?  After I get 4-500 hrs on the new engine I'm thinking a wtw trip might be a possibility. 

He's on Facebook at Project Amelia Earhart.  He's intending to be posting as he's flying as he's fully rigged up with Sat phone, data, etc.

• Like 1