Hopping for a J model intro flight near Pearland Texas!

rob47v

Morning to all, as the title states I'm hopping that someone wouldn't mind providing not really an intro but a how this specific model behaves flight. I've been working on my F modded to J model for the past 2 years and entering the almost final completion stages. With this being so, my reason for the request is I've owned vikings, bonanzas, and Cessna's and have enough sense to know that most aircraft behave differently. I live on a 2500' grass strip and I'm just playing it safe. I read a lot on how this aircraft bounces, and what to see how to minimize the effect. Reading only does or gives so much. Whats the old saying, monkey see monkey do!! How true!!!      

Edited by rob47v

Rob, I can't imagine your F being much different from a J in landing configuration. They're essentially the same size, weight, and engine with only some aerodynamic changes most noticeable in go-fast mode. And I can't imagine that the J is more prone to "bounce" than any other M20; it's all about speed control anyway.

The J does have inner gear doors which hang a bit low and it's the only problem I can see with grass strips. I've had no trouble with well maintained turf in mine.

Still, if you'd like to go for a ride sometime I'm based out of KLBX and fly at least weekly on weekday afternoons. If you could endure a couple of hooded practice approaches as a safety pilot I'd be happy to take you up. Weather sucks right now, and I'm heading north on a cross country the middle of next week, but if you're not in a huge hurry I'm sure we could meet in the next couple of weeks.

Absolutely yes and thank you. The reason i said a J is that its speeds are a bit different, not by much of course. And since i have the mods which closely duplicates the J, I thought that it would be a easier model to find a ride with. But yes I much appreciated. PM me when your available. 

Rob,

keep in mind, Mooneys don't bounce on their own.

I'm pretty good at bouncing a long body...:)

With a 2500' runway, energy management, or speed control is going to be important. There are tools to help with that as well.

ASI and AOA are devices that will let you land safely, consistently and matching book numbers. Comparing AS with GPS ground speed  keeps you from landing down wind.

depending on your skills, you will enjoy a Mooney.

If you ever land with the wind at your tail, or come over the numbers at 90KIAS, landing on the first 2500' will not be an option...

Best regards,

-a-