Demo ride in M20F/J near Cape Cod

Flip

We are finally at the point in our lives where buying a plane can become a reality.  A M20F (buying alone) or M20J (buying with a partner) are on the short list of planes that have most of the items on our need and want lists while still being within our budget.  Before I go head first in searching for a plane to buy, I would like to take a ride in one of the aforementioned models to see the cabin dimensions first hand as well as get real cost of ownership numbers.  We are currently stationed on the Cape but could fly to any airport within about 200 nm KHYA.

Thanks for the consideration.
Flip

Welcome aboard, Flip.

Have you seen the finance spreadsheet posted in the download section?

Expect capital costs, monthly fixed costs, and monthly variable costs.

Fixed: become familiar with hangar costs, insurance costs, annual maintenance.

Variable: fuel burn around 10gph, $4/gal, 100 hours per year, traveling 150kts/HR. 

Somebody posted recent interest rates they got for a loan for a similar plane recently...

How does that sound?

Best regards,

-a-

I spent a half hour tonight playing with that spreadsheet.  I have seen a couple variations and the one posted in the download section is the most user friendlyI have used yet.

I guess I was referring to info that is not readily available online like actual average annual cost and average price for the random discrepancies (dead vacuum pump, brakes or tires needing to be replaced, electron goblins, etc...).

The differences between F and J are minor, except that the Js will be newer and have been aerodynamically cleaned up. Some if these changes have been added to some Fs, in varying amounts, but no F can have all of them. Physical dimensions are the same, almost a foot longer than my C, but from the left front seat they are all alike. Js may have more detents on the seat rail, I have three that lock in, plus the boarding position of "all the way back, no detent."

The differences between F and J are minor, except that the Js will be newer and have been aerodynamically cleaned up. Some if these changes have been added to some Fs, in varying amounts, but no F can have all of them. Physical dimensions are the same, almost a foot longer than my C, but from the left front seat they are all alike. Js may have more detents on the seat rail, I have three that lock in, plus the boarding position of "all the way back, no detent."

You obviously have not seen John Breda's F. He even went to the trouble of replacing skin to get the rounded windows. If you didn't notice the J bar, you would swear it is a late model J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm based at the Falmouth Airpark (roughly 4.5 miles south of the Coast Guard base.  I have a J model that you are more than welcome to look at.  I'm having some issues with the flaps at the moment, but that would not preclude a flight if you desire.  Give me a call anytime....845-264-9980 (cell).