Mooneys around Charlotte

sgrooves

Hi All, I'm in the market for my first plane (just finished my PPL, starting instrument) and considering a Mooney. A lot of the planes I'm looking at are pretty far away. With busy upcoming weekends and no mooney speed for me right now, I'd love to get a look at something closer. 

Is there anyone near the Charlotte NC/SC area that has one I could take a look at? If at all possible and not a burden, I would love a quick ride sometime to make sure I'm comfortable/happy before running across the country to consider a purchase. Right now I'm looking at the mid-body models, M20F/M20J, but I'd love to see anyone's local plane. I do most of my flying out of JQF, any chance the 201 on the ramp belongs to someone on here? 

On a separate thought, have many people purchased these planes without experience in them? What are your thoughts? I've done all my training in various older C-172s and have ridden/flown a family friend's Bonanza. 

Thanks!

Welcome aboard SG,

There is a lot of discussion on what works for different people when selecting a plane.  My first plane was an M20C.  It took a 30 minute ride to compare the benefits of a Mooney to my collection of C152 hours.

Using a technical approach to selecting a GA airplane....

If Speed and efficiency are important to you, a Mooney is an obvious choice.  Just which one...?

Part of the buying process is called a pre-purchase inspection, or PPI.  It is helpful to Know what it is and how it protects your wallet.

Good luck with your next steps.

Best regards,

-a-

larry morris now has a mooney based at JQF.  it is mostly for IFR training but I'm sure if you gave him a call you could arrange something.  I called him about renting it but he mentioned he doesn't really rent it other than for training or to people who are currently or who have trained with him.

I got my PPL in May of 2013 and my C model in June.  I had never ridden in a Mooney before owning one but being a big fan of speed and efficiency it was the obvious choice.  Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

I'll be glad to take you to mine and take you up for a couple of approaches.

give me a call

704 904 4706

I bought mine with only rides in a friends "C".. Got my IR in a Beech Sundowner I had for 7 Years.  

Had the Mooney now for 5 years (wow does time fly by).

Bill

• Like 1

Many years ago I bought a 172, and that same day got a ride in an M20F Mooney after flying the new 172 to my airport. The short flight in the Mooney showed me what an amazing airplane it is.  Less than one year later I owned an M20E.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whiskytango said:

Many years ago I bought a 172, and that same day got a ride in an M20F Mooney after flying the new 172 to my airport. The short flight in the Mooney showed me what an amazing airplane it is.  Less than one year later I owned an M20E.

That must've been a hard year...

• Like 2

On 3/8/2016 at 1:41 PM, SpeedyJoe said:

Consider getting an insurance estimate before you get too far. With a fresh PPL ticket and no Instrument Rating, insurance might be quite pricey. Know before you buy :)

I bought my Mooney before i had my ticket. I finished my training on the 172, and haven't flown another mile other than a mooney.  The insurance wasn't bad at all, it just had a caveat that I must have a certified CFI before I got my PPL.

I now have 300+ hours, my Instrument ticket (done on my plane) and don't regret anything. 

Steve,

i just started a job that will allow me to use my mooney in and around the mid-Atlantic.  In the next month or so I can try and pop in as well.  Although I am flying a turbo you can still get the feel for the the airplane.  I also pulled the cables of a 172 around the pattern  since 1996 up until 2 years ago when I purchased mine. Once you feel how a mooney flies you will love it. If you want to talk about the purchase process feel free to pm or call.  Although you will get great input here. I am up in Va Beach

• 3 weeks later...

Hi IAm new to this sight and am planing to fly to HKY and stay for the summer! Is there a mechanic in the area? I am between MRN and HKY where would be better to park at for a few months? Plane on some trips in the area maybe to Chicago and New York? I will need an annual in August?

9 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi I am new to this site and am planing to fly to HKY and stay for the summer! Is there a mechanic in the area? I am between MRN and HKY where would be better to park at for a few months? Plane on some trips in the area maybe to Chicago and New York? I will need an annual in August?

Hi Blake, check out both but I think you'll find MRN to have several advantages, particularly maintenance.

Lynn Mace (AGL Aviation Services) works on a lot of Mooneys including mine and another 4 or 5 based here plus several who come to him from other fields. (He gives preference to planes based @ MRN so if you're going to have him do an annual or other work it would be to your advantage to park @ MRN. His web site includes his flat rate for annuals.) BTW, Lynn and i are going to attend MooneyMax, a maintenance workshop weekend next month. We'll be taking a side trip to tour the Mooney factory while we're in TX.)   

The FBO is Foothills Regional, the airport manager is Brent Brinkley. I think you'll find them very helpful. There should be room in the one of the large hangers at a monthly rate. There are pics and more info on the Website.

http://www.aglaviation.com/  

http://foothillsairport.com/

PM me if you have any questions and do let me know when you're coming and I'll meet you there! 

11 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi I am new to this site and am planing to fly to HKY and stay for the summer! Is there a mechanic in the area? I am between MRN and HKY where would be better to park at for a few months? Plane on some trips in the area maybe to Chicago and New York? I will need an annual in August?

Hi Blake, check out both but I think you'll find MRN to have several advantages, particularly maintenance.

Lynn Mace (AGL Aviation Services) works on a lot of Mooneys including mine and another 4 or 5 based here plus several who come to him from other fields. (He gives preference to planes based @ MRN so if you're going to have him do an annual or other work it would be to your advantage to park @ MRN. His web site includes his flat rate for annuals.) BTW, Lynn and i are going to attend MooneyMax, a maintenance workshop weekend next month. We'll be taking a side trip to tour the Mooney factory while we're in TX.)   

The FBO is Foothills Regional, the airport manager is Brent Brinkley. I think you'll find them very helpful. There should be room in the one of the large hangers at a monthly rate. There are pics and more info on the Website.

http://www.aglaviation.com/  

http://foothillsairport.com/

PM me if you have any questions and do let me know when you're coming and I'll meet you there! 

https://photos.flightaware.com/photos/retriever/20e42d2656b1836636695201dc271fe37ccb1d74

Gorgeous Ovation 2 Blake! Look forward to meeting you.

On April 4, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Blake said:

Thanks still trying to work my bugs out not the planes! Love to flying in it! Hoping to take a long flight tomorrow weather looks good!

Blake, I'm based at MRN too. My hanger is behind Bob's. While Lynn is not my primary mechanic, he is very good. MRN is a great little airport.  We have a 200-1 LPV approach.  The only advantage to HKY is they have MALSR lighting which certainly helps on foggy mornings.  If you need more info, contact either Bob or me.  Lee

• Like 1