Ovation operating questions.

From my checklist:

ENGINE STARTING (AFM)   Mike Bush’s Engine Start Advice  

NORMAL START             NORMAL START            
    1.      Throttle – Full Open           ·         Flip on the battery, alternator and mag switch;   
    2.      Mixture – Full FWD           ·         Mixture and prop to full-forward;       
    3.      Boost Pump - Low ON           ·         Advance the throttle a bit; then       
    4.      Throttle – Idle (two half-turns for idle RPM of 600 – 800)     ·         Crank while priming with the electric fuel pump.    
    5.      Starter Switch – Turn and Push to Start       ·         Release the starter and prime switches immediately...
    6.      Boost Pump - Low OFF                              
  HOT START               HOT START            
    1.      Throttle – Full Open           ·         Throttle full open           
    2.      Mixture – Idle Cut Off           ·         Mixture Idle Cut-Off        
    3.      Boost Pump - High for 5 seconds or Low for 15 seconds     ·         Electric fuel pump on "high" (or "prime") for 30 seconds. 
    4.      Throttle – Idle (two half-turns for idle RPM of 600 – 800)     ·         Advance the mixture to full rich,       
    5.      Mixture – Full Forward           ·         Retard the throttle, and         
    6.      Starter Switch – Turn and Push to Start       ·         Crank the engine, using no prime or just a touch.  
  WARM ENGINE START                                
    1.      Throttle –1/2” to 1”            COLD START            
    2.      Mixture – Full Forward           ·         Throttle Wide Open        
    3.      Low Boost Pump – ON (to clear fuel vapors)       ·         Mixture Full FWD          
    4.      Low Boost Pump – OFF           ·         Prime switch until the fuel flow gauge stabilizes, then 
    5.      Starter Switch – Turn and Push WITHIN 1-2 SECONDS     ·         Retard the throttle and         
    6.      Throttle – IDLE 600-700 rpm         ·         Crank the engine.         
  FLOODED ENGINE START           ·         Boost Pump Off          
    1.      Throttle –1/2 Open                              
    2.      Mixture – Idle Cut Off             If the engine catches and then dies, the fuel has been consumed.
    3.      Boost Pump – Low - ON 8-10 seconds then OFF             If you have difficulty starting the engine, remember this rule-of-thumb: if the engine is hot, you've probably flooded it; if the engine is cold, you've probably not primed it enough. Also, don't crank the engine for more than about 15 seconds without giving the starter a rest so it can cool off. Starter motors are not rated for continuous duty operation!    
    4.      Starter Switch – Turn and Push to Start                
    5.      Mixture – Slowly Advance                  
    6.      Throttle – IDLE 600-700                    
  COLD START                      
    1.      Throttle – Full Open                    
    2.      Mixture – Full FWD                    
    3.      Boost Pump - Low ON                    
    4.      Throttle – Idle (two half-turns for idle RPM of 600 - 800)                        
    5.      Starter Switch – Turn and Push to Start                          
    6.      Boost Pump - Low OFF                              
  • Like 1

I don't know why but this way seems to work really good for me hot starting a 550. I turn on low boost with throttle full open and mixture all the way out (idle cut off). I watch fuel flow and see nothing, listen for the fuel pump to run steady and wait about 10 seconds maybe 15. Then while with low boost still on I pull throttle back all but about an inch which if running would give me about 1100-1200 rpm, then begin cranking and slowly push the mixture in. As soon as the engine hits I push the mixture full rich and get ready to chop the low boost off. I have a few seconds to get it turned off before she begins to lope from being rich, once the low boost is off I lean till I see rpm increase a touch then I reduce the rpm. Once I figured this out I haven't had any trouble hot starting.

Edited by triple8s

1 hour ago, triple8s said:

I don't know why but this way seems to work really good for me hot starting a 550. I turn on low boost with throttle full open and mixture all the way out (idle cut off). I watch fuel flow and see nothing, listen for the fuel pump to run steady and wait about 10 seconds maybe 15. Then while with low boost still on I pull throttle back all but about an inch which if running would give me about 1100-1200 rpm, then begin cranking and slowly push the mixture in. As soon as the engine hits I push the mixture full rich and get ready to chop the low boost off. I have a few seconds to get it turned off before she begins to lope from being rich, once the low boost is off I lean till I see rpm increase a touch then I reduce the rpm. Once I figured this out I haven't had any trouble hot starting.

Close to what I do. Except that before starting, I push in the mixture all the way and open throttle a little more than on a cold start. When cranking, I turn the throttle in until it catches, usually in about 2-3 seconds. Works every time for me. 

I simply follow the POH...

The O's POH is fully developed compared to the C and it's owner's manual I had before.

Two things that stand out from conversations here and the advice of one fine gentleman who sells Mooneys...

1) When running the fuel pump, follow the instruction to push the throttle in first.  Otherwise the fuel doesn't go to the engine the same way...

2) When hot starting, start with the mixture in idle cut-off and push it in when the engine starts.

The chance of needing a hot start procedure requires the engine to be hot.  That doesn't usually happen for me.

Best regards,

-a-

I tried the Mike Busch/John Deakins method when I first got my Ovation, and it does work, but it's way overkill for my engine. Here's what I do:

Cold Starts pretty much by the book:
1) mixture/throttle full
2) low boost until it stabilizes, about 5-7 gal/hour
3) throttle back to idle, then two turns
4) start the engine.
Usually starts within 2-3 seconds. If not, there's not enough fuel, so just let the pump go for another 5 seconds and start again

Hot Starts are pretty easy:
1) mixture/throttle full
2) low boost for just a second or two
3) throttle to idle, then 2-3 turns
4) engage starter, if it doesn't fire right away, just give it the low boost another shot or two and it will kick right off.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Maxwell showed me a hot start procedure he does on IO550 last time I was there.  He constantly has to run up and check out stuff then start them again.

Mixture full. Throttle out.  Turn key and move the throttle in and out, in and out an inch or so.  Amazing.  It works for me every time now.

Russ

57 minutes ago, Txbyker said:

Maxwell showed me a hot start procedure he does on IO550 last time I was there.  He constantly has to run up and check out stuff then start them again.

Mixture full. Throttle out.  Turn key and move the throttle in and out, in and out an inch or so.  Amazing.  It works for me every time now.

Russ

no pump?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

no pump?

Right.  Just get in, push the mixture in and throttle all the way out.  Start cranking and move the throttle in and out about a 1/2" to 1" back and forth while cranking and it fires right up. I had doubts but I have used it a couple of times with success each time.

Russ

On 3/8/2016 at 3:04 PM, Txbyker said:

Russ

Yep.  Same here.

No answer comes to mind, but....

0) What FF are you seeing?

1) For the first few seconds, I don't get a reading on my FT101...

2) After start, 4gph, 1000rpm (low boost on, then off when warm enough)

3) While taxiing, After leaning mixture 2gph, 700 rpm 

Really rough guesstimates. I have been using the High Boost pump switch for priming a few seconds vs 10-15 sec on low. The first few seconds the system is probably dry.  The next few seconds is so transitory, it is hard to get a good reading while counting in seconds.  Checking oilP and 1000rpm happens quickly...

Hope that helps...

Best regards,

-a-