Ads

Hank

Banner ads aren't too bad, they're everywhere. But pop up ads like this that not only cover content but are targeted towards you and not towards me (I don't have any websites now, didn't have any in the past) are a showstopper. Just like the other ads, these just started today, and only appear on the individual forum pages, so I can't see the freaking threads.  

Ads are not why we come here, but while here we may see some that are interesting. Optimizing my website isn't, I want to see the threads behind it. :angry:

image.jpg

Hank,

I was chatting with Craig about this earlier today. It's a new Add system and Supporting members like us aren't supposed to be seeing them. But Craig was having problems figuring out how to disable based on our Supporting flag. He's aware and either he'll be able to disable for Supporters or he won't use them.

• 3 months later...

For those who aren't paying, these ads completely block navigation on the website. The way way to get to a forums once these ads pop up is to click on the ad, then use the back button to go to the main page to then select the forum all over again. Of course, if the ad pops up again, you can forget about all this as you will have to repeat the process. Oddly enough, this only happens on my iPhone. Is this how the ads were intended to operate?

Par, can you provide a screen shot?  I am an Android user and I don't see any ads like that on the site - just the normal banner ads that I see when on a desktop PC.

When my wife is home perhaps I will test it on her iPhone to test if I can see what you are.

But again, if you can upload a screen capture of what you are seeing that would really help.  Sometimes the ads will label the network doing the pop-up - that would help.  We only use a few different networks and one of them is Google AdSense so it should not be too hard to track down where it is coming from.

• Like 1

I tested on my friends iPhone and my wifes and did not see this.  

Can any other users test for me as well?

Par, do you see this every time you visit the site?  This might also be some other thing on your phone causing this.  I think if other users were seeing this I would have had a lot of complaints to be honest.

From the screen it looks like when you visit our site it is actually redirecting you to another site - pintbin.com

10 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

I tested on my friends iPhone and my wifes and did not see this.  

Can any other users test for me as well?

Par, do you see this every time you visit the site?  This might also be some other thing on your phone causing this.  I think if other users were seeing this I would have had a lot of complaints to be honest.

From the screen it looks like when you visit our site it is actually redirecting you to another site - pintbin.com

I never had this happen until I read this thread yesterday on my iPad with pars' screenshots as the last post. Then it happened, and was difficult to even close the tab as the ad had a pop up on top of it that reappeared faster than I could close it and reach for the 'X' at the top. After several attempts I was successful, then opened a new tab for Mooneyspace.

Here's hoping it doesn't happen again . . .

• Like 1

No other if it's going to happen it is usually within the 1st 5 or 10 minutes. I have not saw it happen on any other websites and do remember it happening when I'm logged in.  I can't put my finger on anything in particlar that makes it pop up

@bluehighwayflyer - the ads are Google AdSense so they are targetted based on your browsing history.  I won't say anymore :P

@par - you are not supporter level so at least this means these are likely still coming from an ad network (as opposed to something worse like the site code being hacked)

If a "Supporter" level user sees this when logged in I really need to know.  Still trying to figure out the source of these.