Pilot Relief Tube

Piloto

On 3/5/2016 at 8:35 AM, DXB said:

If you guys get off on catheterizing yourselves or having a tube apply vacuum to your fella in flight, I am not one to judge. But consider this alternative:

http://www.webmd.com/men/condom-catheter

Never tried personally, but might be a legit, discreet alternative to whipping it out and threading out the pilot storm window.  

Just remind me never to fly formation with you guys...

A lot of endurance and off-road racers use those. I've used em before when I was strapped into the right seat of a race truck for 10+ hours. They aren't uncomfortable but can be a little tricky to route the hose so it doesn't kink. You dont want a blowout. It's also really really hard to convince yourself to relax and go when you're fully clothed with a seat belt on, especially in a 5 point belt that's rather tight around your package and you're getting tossed all over the place in a truck doing Mach1 across the desert. 

Oh, and you have to remember to warn the pit crew not to investigate what that leak is coming from the middle of the car (we use a hole in the floor rather than a bag). Or not, your choice. 

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 11:26 PM, chrisk said:
On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎05 at 11:35 AM, DXB said:

If you guys get off on catheterizing yourselves or having a tube apply vacuum to your fella in flight, I am not one to judge. But consider this alternative:

http://www.webmd.com/men/condom-catheter

Never tried personally, but might be a legit, discreet alternative to whipping it out and threading out the pilot storm window.  

Just remind me never to fly formation with you guys...

I hear these are popular with the glide guys.  It's not for me.  I'll take the zip lock with absorbent material.

I use these all the time when flying my glider.  They work great.  Not uncomfortable at all and you can hook them to a catheter bag as well place somewhere else in the aircraft.  The best solution I've found so far.

When trying them, buy one size smaller than you think you are (LOL) they need to be a snug fit.

On 3/4/2016 at 6:04 PM, golfpilot said:

Lots of questions regarding this.

Can you just slip it in your pants before you start the plane up?

Can you get 2-4 extensions for the passengers?

Does the suction tingle?

Where do you put the tube on flights you don't want to "hook it up"

Is there some kind of wrapper protection condom thing so multiple pilots can practice safe relief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All valid questions:

You can slip the funnel into your pants, but I would not do it with passengers. It is an annoying sight.

I plan to have an extra funnel with hose that can splice into the current hose. In the meantime the rear passengers can use the bottle. I will empty the bottle thru the funnel. 

The suction makes it easier to empty your bladder and hold things in place. However on a pressurized plane use the funnel with the suction shutting valve. Otherwise you will need to open the cabin dump valve to un-stick yourself from the funnel.

The funnel and the hose just loop back underneath the seat. The hose will stick to the inside of the seat frame.

I use alcohol swabs to clean the funnel before use.

I can now drink a pack of Diet Coke in an ice box with no worries about filling the p-bottle. Try that on a brand new $769,000 Acclaim-Ultra and you will end up washing your pants and seat at the FBO.

José 

"The suction makes it easier to empty your bladder and hold things in place"

The vacuum produced is relative to airspeed, for those with higher speed airplanes you may want to slow down.  At too great an airspeed you may cause the wee fellow some damage!

Clarence

On 3/3/2016 at 5:06 PM, 1524J said:

The EPA will have a field day with this. I just hope 'Jose doesn't come up with a solution for the #2 relief......at least while flying over central Texas. :)

I have given thought to a #2 solution. But is only feasible on the back seats with with retractable doors on the belly (bomber bay doors). But if you hate bird droppings on the windshield you would not like Mooney droppings, they can be a foot long. :(

• Like 2

On March 11, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Hyett6420 said:

On a serious note, because of the "camera" episode my bladder valve is not what it was, so I use 

RESTOP 

nice thick blue plastic  bags with gel in them to "solidify" the contents.  Discrete use, they have a large 4-5 inch funnel opening which seals shut after use.  Very easy to use.  I tend to use at least one a flight.  They hold far more than a 500ml Coke bottle and my apparatus actually fits in in the opening (extra large ;) ). 

The best bit is they don't leak, can be put in the flight case on landing for later disposal in a non embarrassing way, although I think my airport cafe has now worked out where the blue bags in their trash come from. "Oh there is Andrew with his pee again". :)

I honestly swear by them and they are cheap too.  

There seem to be several RESTOP products. Which one do you recommend?

25 minutes ago, Piloto said:

RESTOP 1 Demo video (adults only):

I still prefer the funnel, no dealing with $10 messy bags. Plus the funnel has unlimited capacity.

José

Dunno, I hated those. More back leak and trouble than ordinary ziplocks. 1 gallon heftys are the way to go. You can even double fill them if need be. Whatever you do, don't toss them out the window!

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread...because it's relevant...to me!  :-)

@Piloto what's the hose you used on this, please?  I have the horn and venturi, from Aircraft Spruce, and installation will happen soon.  But I ordered 3/8-inch neoprene hose from them and it's not at all like what's in your photo.   This neoprene tube is really flimsy and would kink easily...and that would be very, very bad I think.  The tubing on the exterior of your belly, attached to the venturi, looks pretty sturdy.  What tubing is that, please, and is that the same tubing that's inside the plane?  Or does it transition, inside the cockpit, to something more flexible?

I never allow anything more translucent than distilled water in my airplane.  It has interior stains aplenty, thank you.  I love the mostly empty Cholox bottle idea.  Could even jsut pour a bit of bleach into an empty water bottle.  I'll use that if I ever start doing max duration flights.

Urine is predominantly an aqueous solution and slightly acidic. It contains things like chloride ions in pretty high concentrations (second only to urea) which causes oxidation and will pit aluminum over time. Peeing all over the plane can’t be good! Ziplock bags is my preference!

Urine is predominantly an aqueous solution and slightly acidic. It contains things like chloride ions in pretty high concentrations (second only to urea) which causes oxidation and will pit aluminum over time. Peeing all over the plane can’t be good! Ziplock bags is my preference!

Urine is actually basic due to the urea. pH of about 7.4 or so. Still corrosive

32 minutes ago, mcpilot said:

Urine is actually basic due to the urea. pH of about 7.4 or so. Still corrosive

Normal values range from around 5 to 8. So I’d call it slightly acidic! But ok, call it whatever you like. At least we agree it’s still corrosive and not a good idea to pee on the plane!

15 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Reviving an old thread...because it's relevant...to me!  :-)

@Piloto what's the hose you used on this, please?  I have the horn and venturi, from Aircraft Spruce, and installation will happen soon.  But I ordered 3/8-inch neoprene hose from them and it's not at all like what's in your photo.   This neoprene tube is really flimsy and would kink easily...and that would be very, very bad I think.  The tubing on the exterior of your belly, attached to the venturi, looks pretty sturdy.  What tubing is that, please, and is that the same tubing that's inside the plane?  Or does it transition, inside the cockpit, to something more flexible?

It is just engine hose for fuel or oil return. It will no kink and is flexible enough.

On 3/5/2016 at 7:31 AM, sleepingsquirrel said:

Although they are all the same size ,they are labeled  :

1. small

2. medium

3. large

4. EXTRA LARGE

Aircraft Spruce informs me that they only invoice EXTRA LARGE because that is the only size pilots order.

You can always trimmed down to fit you.:rolleyes:

On 3/12/2016 at 3:25 AM, Hyett6420 said:

To this day I don't know how he did it, but he undid his belt and at 2400 opened the door window wriggled around and peed out of the window.

And you gave him a hand to shake the last dribbles out, didn’t you?!:lol:

Thanks @Gagarin for the info.  And, yes, all the others...I've read all about how it will corrode my underbelly away.  Haha!  But I'm a regular underbelly cleaner and a regular peeer (a made up word, but you get my drift...).  I've used the Travel Johns or bottles in my prior Diamond... and for the last year in my E, but I keep looking at the venturi I bought almost a year ago and its time has come.

Since I've not seen any good photos or documentation of routing and placement, I'll add those after the installation.  :D