Pilot Relief Tube

Piloto

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

Some of y'all should learn what caffeine operating as a diuretic means. diet soda, Ice Tea....

There are recent studies that suggest it is only a diuretic in relatively high doses. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19774754/

"Doses of caffeine equivalent to the amount normally found in standard servings of tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks appear to have no diuretic action."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

I have one as removed from a 310. Would gladly sell. Not sure of size. (They do come in sizes, don't they?)

Although they are all the same size ,they are labeled  :

1. small

2. medium

3. large

4. EXTRA LARGE

Aircraft Spruce informs me that they only invoice EXTRA LARGE because that is the only size pilots order.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, golfpilot said:

Lots of questions regarding this.

Can you just slip it in your pants before you start the plane up?

Can you get 2-4 extensions for the passengers?

Does the suction tingle?

Where do you put the tube on flights you don't want to "hook it up"

Is there some kind of wrapper protection condom thing so multiple pilots can practice safe relief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears it would be safe to assume that this thread has...ummm..."evolved!"

Pretty soon Chris will introduce his "ass...istants" into this discussion! They are sure to have some input on hooking up and slipping into your pants and multi use and suctioning! Not sure about the practicing safe relief part though!

And all poor José wanted to do is take a leak in peace! Little did he know!!:D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Perhaps you should just get a higher capacity bag...

image.thumb.jpeg.3bcb6bf552d0b1e6f860e98

If you guys get off on catheterizing yourselves or having a tube apply vacuum to your fella in flight, I am not one to judge. But consider this alternative:

http://www.webmd.com/men/condom-catheter

Never tried personally, but might be a legit, discreet alternative to whipping it out and threading out the pilot storm window.  

Just remind me never to fly formation with you guys...

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎04 at 2:34 PM, Piloto said:

Well I finally gave up on the p-bottle and decided for the relief tube set up. No more loosing cap under the seat with a filled bottle, no runs to the FBO rest room to empty the bottle and the bladder, no more looking for a nice tree to hide. Now I can drink my Diet Soda in flight and no need to worry about. In fact my next project is to have cup holders.

I bought the components from Aircraft Spruce for less than $50. Took me three hours to install it on my 82 M20J with multiple belly panels. The horn hose is long enough to reach the copilThe horn and the hose stores easily underneath the pilot seat invisible.

Unlike the bottle and others you can attach the horn to you horizontally without the risk of dripping back. The suction works so well that there are no droplets in the horn or yourself. The horn is small, about 2 inches diameter opening. It can be easily squeezed into your pants. You can use a small blanket or charts for privacy. You can verify suction by putting your hand on the horn.

Because now I can jump from the plane to the crew car directly by not going to the rest room I can save 5 minutes on a trip. This would be the equivalent of a speed gain of 5Kts. on a two hour trip.  

Why the airlines should have these on every seat: 

Cessna, Beech, Piper and others have Pilot Relief Tube in some of their models as a standard option. I don't see why Mooney couldn't have it on their new models. After all they already have the cup holders.

Relief Venturi in Mooney.jpg

Relief Horn.jpg

Does that funnel come with an STD.....oops I mean STC

• Like 2

BTW, keep this device in mind should you ever be called on to spread someone's ashes. No disrespect intended, but stories of ash filled cabins abound when trying to use a door or window. 

I've told this story before. A friend of mine had an uncle who was a bomber pilot during WWII. He final wish was to have his ashes spread. My friend took his uncle's ashes up in his Cessna 172 to disperse them.

When he returned, I asked him how it went. He said, "my uncle will always be flying with me".

What a mess...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

BTW, keep this device in mind should you ever be called on to spread someone's ashes. No disrespect intended, but stories of ash filled cabins abound when trying to use a door or window. 

Mooneys are not really a good choice for scattering ashes.  Best to use a strut wing aircraft with a window.  I have seen several different coffee cans rigged with a pull away bottom placed out on the strut. The trick is to rudder the nose toward the side with the can and then pull the release.  That keeps the deceased out of the tail feathers.

34 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Mooneys are not really a good choice for scattering ashes.  Best to use a strut wing aircraft with a window.  I have seen several different coffee cans rigged with a pull away bottom placed out on the strut. The trick is to rudder the nose toward the side with the can and then pull the release.  That keeps the deceased out of the tail feathers.

I've done it once, for a World War 2 fighter pilot,  it was an amazing experience.

We used a 3" piece of ABS pipe with a RV sewage dump valve on one end and a cap with a vent hole at the other end.  From the dump valve we routed a Bowden style cable into the back seat. Once the remains were put in the tube the cap is reinstalled.  We secured it to the belly with several large Adel clamps.  Once over the desired location the family member in the back seat was able to pull the cable releasing the remains.

Clarence 

Not a good idea, urine is very corrosive.  It is best to store it on board and dump it later.  I have seen rudder hinges very damaged from pee tubes.  With all the panel overlaps on Mooneys the acid can sit and cause damage.  On the old MooneySpace site I posted the system I have used in gliders for years.  Zip-lok Quart bags and super adsorbent pads like Poise.  No mess, turns solid in a few minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I've done it once, for a World War 2 fighter pilot,  it was an amazing experience.

We used a 3" piece of ABS pipe with a RV sewage dump valve on one end and a cap with a vent hole at the other end.  From the dump valve we routed a Bowden style cable into the back seat. Once the remains were put in the tube the cap is reinstalled.  We secured it to the belly with several large Adel clamps.  Once over the desired location the family member in the back seat was able to pull the cable releasing the remains.

Clarence 

That sounds awesome! Not to mention quite a bit more sophisticated than the rigs I've seen. What kind of plane did you use for the mission?

21 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

That sounds awesome! Not to mention quite a bit more sophisticated than the rigs I've seen. What kind of plane did you use for the mission?

My last Mooney.  I may have to dust it off again as another WW2 veteran passed last evening in his 100th year.  He was a B25 pilot.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎05 at 9:05 AM, co2bruce said:

Did you add an item to the preflight:

1. Blow through relief tube to make sure clear

You want to blow the relief tube knowing what it was used last flight ????????? better ad  Disinfect lips to the check list or are you going to get the wife to check the tube ?

1 hour ago, C-GHIJ said:

You want to blow the relief tube knowing what it was used last flight ????????? better ad  Disinfect lips to the check list or are you going to get the wife to check the tube ?

"Honey, did I have asparagus before our last flight?"

19 hours ago, TTaylor said:

Not a good idea, urine is very corrosive.  It is best to store it on board and dump it later.  I have seen rudder hinges very damaged from pee tubes.  With all the panel overlaps on Mooneys the acid can sit and cause damage.  On the old MooneySpace site I posted the system I have used in gliders for years.  Zip-lok Quart bags and super adsorbent pads like Poise.  No mess, turns solid in a few minutes.

There are several planes equipped Relief Tubes as standard equipment. It has been used before WWII. My hangar neighbor has a 2009 B58 with factory standard Relief Tube, Cessna and Piper also have it on their top line. An yes there is a possibility of corrosion due to urine but no more than that of rain. I have seen Mooneys severely corroded with no Relief Tubes. Best protection for rain or urine is a good paint and WD-40 for hinges. If you suspect urine corrosion check with your doctor for high ph content in your urine.

José

• Like 1

On 3/5/2016 at 10:35 AM, DXB said:

If you guys get off on catheterizing yourselves or having a tube apply vacuum to your fella in flight, I am not one to judge. But consider this alternative:

http://www.webmd.com/men/condom-catheter

Never tried personally, but might be a legit, discreet alternative to whipping it out and threading out the pilot storm window.  

Just remind me never to fly formation with you guys...

I hear these are popular with the glide guys.  It's not for me.  I'll take the zip lock with absorbent material.

• Like 1