Should I buy a G1000 panel plane

Hammer

I'm new to this site.   It looks like the best place to get owner input.  I'm looking to buy a TKS equipped ovation or acclaim.   I have just figured out that there is an upgrade path issue with regard to ads-b for the G-1000 aircraft.   I have looked at all the threads that I could find related to the topic and am wondering if there is any recent news that anyone could pass on to me.  I am reluctant to step into something uncertain with 2020 looming.

There will certainly be an upgrade path, but the million dollar question is the expense.  I think someone posted earlier this week that the W upgrade for the earlier G1000 birds (GX editions) is now about $30k.  Who knows how much ADS-B will be... Garmin recently released their new all-in-one transponders that can replace the existing G1000 units, but there still needs to be a software revision loop between Garmin and Mooney for something like that to work and who knows when that will happen or at what cost.

Personally, I can't foresee a scenario when I would purchase a G1000 plane.  I didn't grow up with that tech so I'm not enamored with it enough to overlook the limitations.  You cannot really upgrade the panel at all with whatever you wish... you will always be captive to Garmin and Mooney.  I've been flying LPV approaches for almost 9 years now, and many others with G1000 planes cannot.  I have the option to upgrade to an Aspen (or 3 of them!) or a G500, or perhaps in another year or two a Dynon or Garmin G3X.  I have many options for ADS-B in/out (I'm already equipped with OUT), and all are cheaper than a TBD Mooney solution and can be had today.  I can put in a fancy state-of-the-art audio panel with 3D audio, BT inputs, etc. but I don't think I can do that in a G1000 plane.

Having said all that, if I were in the market for a newer Mooney, i would choose a non-G1000 plane at a lower price, and then use the savings to put in a custom panel to my specs.  And if something better comes along later, then I could change my panel again!  That is how I view the situation since my budget is less than others.  If you've only ever flown G1000 then I understand the comfort level and desire to stay with it, but it will cost a lot more.  Also, if you want a really new or late model plane, then of course that is the only choice.  My plane is almost 40 years old now, so I wouldn't bat an eye at flying a 10-20 year old Mooney. :P

• Like 1

Well, if you want an Acclaim, I think your only option is G1000.  If you buy an Ovation older than 2004 or so, then that will be non-G1000. I think only the absolute latest G1000 planes will be ADS-B equipped. Starting in about 2008 or so, they did have WAAS, but not ADS-B.

So yes, there is still some uncertainty about how the older G1000 systems, either WAAS or non-WAAS, will ultimately get upgraded to full WAAS and ADS-B. And yes, it's true that we are relying on Mooney and Garmin to come up with the solutions and the pricing. However, the flip side of that coin is that if you are willing to live with some uncertainty, but put faith in the market forces and in Mooney and Garmin's statements that solutions will be forthcoming, then you can get a pretty good deal on a G1000 model and that uncertainty is reflected in the price.

I can tell you that when I was looking around in 2014, I felt the market price of a non-WAAS Ovation 3 was well worth the uncertainty. Having Mooney on solid financial footing did help my decision, to be sure. And Garmin isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and there are enough these birds flying from Mooney, Beech, Diamond and Cessna that there is market force for a solution to be developed.  It's three and a half years away, so something to consider, but no time for panic yet.

And in the meantime, having flown with steam gauges first, then graduating to a plane with a nice GPS/MFD setup, and then to the G1000, I can tell you  that the G1000 is absolutely superior to anything else out there for situational awareness, access to data during flight, etc. It is true that I don't have LPV approaches, and I guess if you plan on spending a lot of time flying hard core IFR and need that extra 150 feet of descent on a regular basis, then it is a consideration. On the other hand, with Synthetic Vision on that monstrous PFD screen, and a flight path marker pointing you to a runway that you can see and fly to like it's a CAVU day, I don't really miss LPV all that much.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

There will certainly be an upgrade path, but the million dollar question is the expense.  I think someone posted earlier this week that the W upgrade for the earlier G1000 birds (GX editions) is now about $30k.  Who knows how much ADS-B will be... Garmin recently released their new all-in-one transponders that can replace the existing G1000 units, but there still needs to be a software revision loop between Garmin and Mooney for something like that to work and who knows when that will happen or at what cost.

Personally, I can't foresee a scenario when I would purchase a G1000 plane.  I didn't grow up with that tech so I'm not enamored with it enough to overlook the limitations.  You cannot really upgrade the panel at all with whatever you wish... you will always be captive to Garmin and Mooney.  I've been flying LPV approaches for almost 9 years now, and many others with G1000 planes cannot.  I have the option to upgrade to an Aspen (or 3 of them!) or a G500, or perhaps in another year or two a Dynon or Garmin G3X.  I have many options for ADS-B in/out (I'm already equipped with OUT), and all are cheaper than a TBD Mooney solution and can be had today.  I can put in a fancy state-of-the-art audio panel with 3D audio, BT inputs, etc. but I don't think I can do that in a G1000 plane.

Having said all that, if I were in the market for a newer Mooney, i would choose a non-G1000 plane at a lower price, and then use the savings to put in a custom panel to my specs.  And if something better comes along later, then I could change my panel again!  That is how I view the situation since my budget is less than others.  If you've only ever flown G1000 then I understand the comfort level and desire to stay with it, but it will cost a lot more.  Also, if you want a really new or late model plane, then of course that is the only choice.  My plane is almost 40 years old now, so I wouldn't bat an eye at flying a 10-20 year old Mooney. :P

I would think the Adsb is now a non issue, for approx. $6-7000 depending who does your Garmin 345r install which is available within a month. I believe the G1000 planes have already been discounted for not having waas and therefore Id defineately buy one now. I purchased mine new so I've lost quite a bit of money due to Mooney not having an affordable path to waas, you'd be buying the plane for 40-50,000 less than if it had waas so you would have the funds to do the upgrade.. My opinion.

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

Thanks for all the replies.   It looks like the G345 is compatible - if I read the specs right.  Thanks.  

I spoke with Trek Lawer via email and another Garmin engineer who both said in approx. a month the 345R would be at the Garmin dealer. I've decided not to sit and wait for Mooney it's been 9 yrs waiting so far, and have ordered the 345R ...I will definitely do a pirep on the unit. I'll have a Stratus 2 available soon.

12 hours ago, Hammer said:

Thanks.  Your post was very logical.   am thinking just like you are.   I want acclaim performance but they are all G-1000.  I have been flying 530/430 for years and would be happy with that.  So I'm stuck for the moment.  Maybe an ovation.  

Might I suggest a nice Ovation for sale : )

• Like 1