Extra Parts - You Carry IN the Mooney

Seth

11 hours ago, PMcClure said:

Mastercard. 

Just kidding, but I have found this to be the most useful tool by far. But I also bring a small tool kit and some oil, zip ties and duct tape. It's an old habit from back when I drove old cars everyday.  I also carry a #2 phillips stub screw driver to get the darn screws inside the Ovation air inlets. 

Edited by PMcClure
  • Like 2

The first thing I put in my box is a spare fuel sump drain valve. About 4 years ago on a preflight I sumped the fuel and it would not stop streaming, regardless of my actions on the valve. Some crud prevented it from closing. I had to dissasemble it to find out what caused this. 

Yves

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Piloto said:

Concealed in the plane an extra set of doors, magnetos and hangar keys. The worst is losing your keys while on a trip with the family.

José

My plane was frequently flown to the Bahamas quite often, the previous owner had an ingenious idea and put one of the spare set of keys and bolted it to the round inspection panel in the empennage. That way, if you lose your wallet, your bags, etc, all you need is a Philips screwdriver to get home.

• Like 2

Old beach towel to use on ground 

assortment of screwdrivers   including one customized to remove glare shield 

pliers , wire cutters 

quality 3/8 socket set  incl plug socket 

spare fasteners 

oil, plugs, 

electrical tape 

telescoping mirror (priceless) 

FM01-5 fuses (231 instrument and glare shield lights hard to find)

small radio shack multimeter (priceless) , tire gauge 

assorted hose clamps 

safety wire  and tie wraps 

hand cleaner 

rags 

old shirt  ( should have been flight suit or coveralls) 

surgical gloves 

pieces of small tubing used as insulators on landing light firewall connectors

and the ultimate multitool   CASH 

The reason for so much stuff

On two unfortunate occasions I had the turbo outlet hose come loose after takeoff ( after visits to non mooney shop) .  At my destination I had to remove the cowling to get at the clamps without damaging my dress pants ( the only one I had )  On the ramp at Monterey there were a bunch of people watching from the terminal.  I think I set General AV back a decade or two. 

Also problems with landing light not being reconnected after maintenance  and not discovering it until trying to land at very dark airport.  (post maint check included flagging the landing light switch and watching the amp meter. 

Everything but the oil, towel and shirt went in a small red bag (miniature gym bag) that also held   barf bags, wipes, aspirin, anti motion sickness pills, peptol bismol , decongestant spray, bandaids, mouthwash spare pens,  .   The red bag made it very easy to ask a pax to grab iTHE RED BAG  Thankfully the barf bag was never used.  the wipes were for the relief tube receptacle . 

Edited by Steve Dietrich

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Where can I get one of those to fit in my tool bag???:)

Sorry, only available in Canada and may not be compatable with some Mooney owners.

Clarence