Flaps stuck up (won't go down)

rahill

We've had an intermittent issue with the flaps failing to extend in our 1977 M20J.  I thought I had this fixed by tracing it to the down limit switch.  Cleaning the switch got us a few months before the problem recurred.  We recently replaced the down limit switch and, while that initially seemed to cure the problem, the flaps stuck up again this evening.  Thumping on the baggage compartment floor (which is right above the flap motor and limit switches) got everything working again so it appears that the issue is in that area rather than an electrical issue somewhere else.

What should we look into next?  Sticking relay, bad replacement limit switch? Something else?

Thanks,

Rich Hill

N201CD

1977 M20J

Did you inspect or do anything with the motor? If the switches were cleaned and the problem went away, it might have been coincidence that the flap motor began working correctly for a while. Thumping on the area, still could be a poor electrical connection or a motor beginning to bind. Here is the link to my 1975 F model flap saga: Electric Flaps Troubleshooting

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.php?/topic/16679-Electric-Flaps-Troubleshooting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Did you inspect or do anything with the motor? If the switches were cleaned and the problem went away, it might have been coincidence that the flap motor began working correctly for a while. Thumping on the area, still could be a poor electrical connection or a motor beginning to bind. Here is the link to my 1975 F model flap saga: Electric Flaps Troubleshooting

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.php?/topic/16679-Electric-Flaps-Troubleshooting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks I did look through your saga (and all other discussions that I could find).  The J system is quite simple with just up and down limit switches and a simple three-position switch to activate the flaps.  After reading your and other posts, I suspected the limit switch -- and the fact that cleaning that switch got things going again was a good sign.  I'll look into additional electrical contacts in the area.  I don't think it's a binding flap motor because there's no significant current draw when the flaps stick.  It could, I suppose, be something like motor brushes sticking but it's suspicious that the flaps always stick in the up position, never down, never part way.

Thanks