Top Gun

I'm referring to the movie, not the MSC. 

A good friend of mine and fellow Mooney owner/pilot has never seen the movie and I give him a hard time about it. So many great cheesy lines in that flick that I just I love it! So what do you guys think? Is that required viewing for a pilot? If not, what movie(s) are?

image.jpeg

• Like 3

John Wayne in jet pilot puts Top Gun to shame in the cheesiest line department but does have lots of great F86 flight scenes also the Great Waldo Pepper. Another good one is Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command. The take off sequence of the B36 is worth the whole movie.

• Like 1

TG is a great laying on the couch late Sunday afternoon movie..lol.

Most of us have seen it so many times we can close our eyes and nap in and out while its on and never miss a beat. No thinking necessary.

My brother was a Top Gun instructor and says the movie is so far from reality it was really a turn-off for the real deal. I still enjoy it though :)

Anybody seen Kelly Megillis lately:o:o

-Tom

Kelly M.jpg

• Like 1

Top Gun and Waldo Pepper are required. However, there is a French film that is pretty cheesy but it has some of the best fighter footage I have seen. It's called Les Chevaliers Du Ciel. It was all filmed in HD. Pretty cool!

-Matt

I know it's not realistic, but I still love TOP GUN and really any aviation movie, even the bad ones.  Stealth, the Aviator, Iron Eagle I, II, III, IV, however many they made . . . Even Red Tails, and that was a bad movie. 

Twelve O'Clock High, that's a great one.

Loved Apollo 13.

-Seth

Am I the only one gets the evil eye from the significant other when I'm scrolling through the TV guide channels trying to find something to watch and I stop when I see TopGun, Dangerous Flights, Ice Pilots, The Aviator, Red Tails, Fly Boys or pretty much any aviation program that we've seen 100x. :) Or if she is in the kitchen and hears the opening music to TopGun...Drives her "NUTS". lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

Am I the only one gets the evil eye from the significant other when I'm scrolling through the TV guide channels trying to find something to watch and I stop when I see TopGun, Dangerous Flights, Ice Pilots, The Aviator, Red Tails, Fly Boys or pretty much any aviation program that we've seen 100x. :) Or if she is in the kitchen and hears the opening music to TopGun...Drives her "NUTS". lol

Sorry, man. My wife likes Top Gun, and she used to watch Flying Wild Alaska with me every week, with reruns in between.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWinter said:

TG is a great laying on the couch late Sunday afternoon movie..lol.

Most of us have seen it so many times we can close our eyes and nap in and out while its on and never miss a beat. No thinking necessary.

My brother was a Top Gun instructor and says the movie is so far from reality it was really a turn-off for the real deal. I still enjoy it though :)

Anybody seen Kelly Megillis lately:o:o

-Tom

Kelly M.jpg

I'm told she's much more practical these days, hangs out with old Mooney pilots mostly ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DXB said:

I'm told she's much more practical these days, hangs out with old Mooney pilots mostly ;)

"Top Gun" star Kelly McGillis has confirmed rumors that she is a lesbian, saying she is "done with the man thing." "I did that. I need to move on in life," the ...

If Tom Cruise couldn't do it for her then I'm not sure even old Mooney Pilots can change her ways.:(

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

Sorry, man. My wife likes Top Gun, and she used to watch Flying Wild Alaska with me every week, with reruns in between.

Mine was a good sport for a while..when I start reciting lines before the actors she gets a little agitated.

Mrs.Hank probably likes flying..mine not so much, but she tolerates it, tolerates me and the never ending reruns.:) 

5 hours ago, TWinter said:

When do you really expect anything "close to accurate" to come out of Hollywood? 

About the only thing accurate about that movie was that there is a US Navy and they did fly Grumman F-14s.

• Like 4

Don't forget "The Final Countdown" the first movie to feature the F-14 - The USS Nimitz goes through a storm near Hawaii and ends up time travelling back to December 6, 1941. 

Very neat movie.  A remake could be pretty cool.  Kirk Doublas, Martin Sheen, fun movie.

-Seth

• Like 7

I'll vote for "Chicken Run" as my favorite aviation movie.  You have to love a chicken powered plane!  --Seriously now, my favorite aviation themed movie was "Afterburn" which was about the F16 and wire chafing issues.  

You probably will not find me at home watching Top gun.  I'm much more likely to watch a squirrel suit video.  --Not that I would ever consider trying it, but the video gives me the feeling of flying.

• Like 1