Top Gun

1 hour ago, Chupacabra said:

I can already see the potential here...The aging Maverick has attained Captain status with United, after retiring from the Air Force with a nice pension. On a transcontinental flight, an unruly passenger defiantly keeps his electronic device on and hacks the navigation system which puts the 747 over North Korean airspace. Tom uses his top gun skills in a dog fight with Kim Jong Un and ejects the troublemaking passenger using him as a human missle to down Un's MiG. Mav does the celebratory buzzing of the tower and is put on administrative leave pending an investigation. He then wins the heart of the FAA official, a recently divorced mother of three, marries and retires to South Florida and buys a Corvette and a Harley.

Will Kelley McGillis be the leading lady? She owns (or at least use to own) KELLEY's in Key West.

Image result for kelly mcgillis

Just now, mike_elliott said:

Will Kelley McGillis be the leading lady? She owns (or at least use to own) KELLEY's in Key West.

Image result for kelly mcgillis

She would definitely have a cameo appearance which would open the door for a Top Gun Trilogy.

1 hour ago, Chupacabra said:

after retiring from the Air Force with a nice pension

They took off and landed on a boat....that was a Navy movie about boys wearing dog tags and playing volleyball.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kpaul said:

They took off and landed on a boat....that was a Navy movie about boys wearing dog tags and playing volleyball.

Let's not forget that Colonel Doolittle did indeed fly Army Air Corp B-25s off of a Navy carrier. 

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Let's not forget that Colonel Doolittle did indeed fly Army Air Corp B-25s off of a Navy carrier. 

That is true, however he never landed on one, nor was he in a 4G inverted dive with a Mig 28.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Goose had some of the best lines:

In response to locker room bravado, "They were abused as children."

and

With a MIG (looking very like an F-5) glued on their tail, "Do some of that pilot shit, Maverick!" 

"You know the Finger"

"Yes I know the finger, Goose"

"I'm sorry, I hate it when it does that"

On 2/25/2016 at 11:42 PM, NotarPilot said:

Hmmmm, I don't know if I'd want Chuck Yeager flying me around in an F-16 in his nineties. Although meeting your maker wouldn't be so bad while doing it in an F-16. But actually knowing you probably won't come back might be enough for me to pass up that ride.

And I say that with the utmost respect for the guy. I think he's an amazing pilot. Don't believe me? Just ask him, he'll tell you.

As of 3/4 years ago he is not to bad..insurance co required a safety pilot on a flight to Hiltons spread in his Husky....he did ok

The Beech 18 flying scene from its a mad mad mad world!!Hilarious boozed up Jim Bacchus knocked out and Non pilot Micky Rooney and Buddy Hackett buzzing the tower and knocking the guy off the tower trying to talk them down...great flying from Frank Tallman

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017 at 9:13 AM, Chupacabra said:

She would definitely have a cameo appearance which would open the door for a Top Gun Trilogy.

Top Gun 3:  Maverick in the retirement home, winning walker races to the water cooler, while adoring fans in open-backed hospital gowns cheer from their doorways. The head nurse spills her coffee on her shirt when Mav cuts the corner too closely. At sunset, he sits by the window, listening for the occasional Hog running down the highway, smiling at the noise . . .  :lol:

That's what happens when your sequels are 30 years apart--25 years old in the first, 55 in the second, and 85 in the last one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bradp said:

Iceman:  Back injury from volleyball leads to chronic pain and a downward spiral leading to Opiod addiction. A story of redemption.  

"Iceman" would have to change his callsign to "Icehouse." Have you seen him lately? I think even an F-14 would be out of CG limits if he sat in it, unless he flew sans RIO.

Edit: I have to rescind my comment. I just googled his current image and looks like he lost a lot of the weight. Unfortunately he's not looking too good lately. Poor guy is battling throat cancer.

not only required viewing but you should own it on VHS.  I pop it in from time to time and drive my wife nuts.  She hates tom cruise though so that doesnt help.  I just fast forward all the mushy scenes and I talk along with the rest.  I know most of that movie by heart.  If my eyes didn't suck I'd be a naval aviator because of that movie.  Now I guess they let people with glasses fly fighters but back when I was making the decision to pursue it that wasn't happening.  Navy wanted to give me a full ride through their nuke program but submarines arent for me so I became a wild kid and wasted a bunch of years of my life instead.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

you should own it on VHS ... I just fast forward all the mushy scenes and I talk along with the rest.  

VHS? Does anyone still own a working VHS deck? Analog is so ... 80s.

Pro tip: If you watch it on DVD, you can chapter-skip past the "take my breath away" scenes with precision becoming a Mooney pilot...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrixxer said:

Pro tip: If you watch it on DVD, you can chapter-skip past the "take my breath away" scenes with precision becoming a Mooney pilot...

I have a vhs in the closet, I'm saving it because I figure since vinyl came back into style, the next big thing will probably be vhs. Gotta find a nice 8 track player too. Now I see millenials wearing AC/DC, Hendrix and Rolling Stones t shirts. I had the originals, who would have thunk it?

While Top Gun was good, Twelve O'clock High, Strategic Air Command, High Road to China, Bridges at Toko-ri , The Blue Max, The Right Stuff, The Time Flyer were all better. Nobody mentioned 633 Squadron starring Cliff Robertson. That film will have you on the edge of your seat for the last 40 minutes or so...lots of action. They even used three airworthy Mosquitos in the film (1964), one of which is now owned by Kermit Weeks.

The Tarnished Angels starring Robert Stack and Rock Hudson had two Culver Darts used in air racing sequences. That film is worth watching if only to see the old airplanes and for the scene with Rock Hudson's eulogy to Roger.

Captains of the Clouds was one of my Dad's favorites. 

Airplane for laughs. "We're going on instruments" followed by the crew playing music on their band instruments...

Edited by BKlott

4 hours ago, chrixxer said:

My wife had one.  It was in a closet for years.  I dug it out when I found the TopGun tape and plugged it in to the 42inch in the guest bedroom.  Still works.  with the crappy resolution and everything.  Its nostalgia man.  For that matter who watches DVDs when you can netflix or kodi it.  Purchasing playback media is so 2000s.  ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

For that matter who watches DVDs when you can netflix or kodi it.  Purchasing playback media is so 2000s.  ;)

I generally agree, though for Top Gun I'll make an exception - chapter access vs tediously "fast forwarding" a stream FTW.

Also, streaming sucks for things like long tail or old movies, often, and a Netflix is too much of a shifting landscape (I was like 2.5 seasons into binging Scrubs when it disappeared... :/ ).

Edited by chrixxer
  • Like 1

Just now, chrixxer said:

I generally agree, though for Top Gun I'll make an exception - chapter access vs tediously "fast forwarding" a stream FTW.

Also, streaming sucks for things like long tail or old movies, often, and a Netflix is too much of a shifting landscape (I was like 2.5 seasons into binging Scrubs when it disappeared... :/ ).

check out exodus on kodi.  Has almost everything.  Its kind of the napster of movies.  Granted it takes some patience because half the time it wont play or is just a black screen or is some asshat that filmed it from the back of the movie theater on his cell phone with korean subtitles. (yes I wantched the new guardians of the galaxy like that but it was a garbage movie anyway so no big loss)  Has all the old movies linked in this thread though.