Top Gun

14 hours ago, chrisk said:

I'll vote for "Chicken Run" as my favorite aviation movie.  You have to love a chicken powered plane!  --Seriously now, my favorite aviation themed movie was "Afterburn" which was about the F16 and wire chafing issues.  

You probably will not find me at home watching Top gun.  I'm much more likely to watch a squirrel suit video.  --Not that I would ever consider trying it, but the video gives me the feeling of flying.

I would actually love to get into wingsuit flying. The wife thinks I'm crazy. If I didn't already have such an expensive hobby I'd probably be working on getting enough jumps logged to move onto wingsuit flying and eventually BASE jumping with a wingsuit. That looks like the coolest sort of flying ever if you ask me.

On February 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM, MB65E said:

Top Gun and Waldo Pepper are required. However, there is a French film that is pretty cheesy but it has some of the best fighter footage I have seen. It's called Les Chevaliers Du Ciel. It was all filmed in HD. Pretty cool!

-Matt

This film came I believe from a TV series called Les Chevaliers du ciel. I remember watching this every week or so when I was a kid. Real French stuff.

Yves

• Like 1

The Right Stuff is one of my all time favorites.  I met a military dentist that did a dental clearance check up for Chuck Yeager a few years ago.  He was showing me pictures of him and Chuck Yeager on his iPhone.  He told me Chuck Yeager offered to take him up in a F-16 but he declined.  I just couldn't imagine passing up an opportunity of not only getting a ride in a F-16  but having Chuck Yeager as the pilot would be over the top.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I don't know if I'd want Chuck Yeager flying me around in an F-16 in his nineties. Although meeting your maker wouldn't be so bad while doing it in an F-16. But actually knowing you probably won't come back might be enough for me to pass up that ride.

And I say that with the utmost respect for the guy. I think he's an amazing pilot. Don't believe me? Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Edited by NotarPilot

Some great movies missing from this thread and some awful ones recurring. I was 11 when Top Gun hit the theatres. I thought it was awesome then, I actually find it difficult to watch now save for the aeriel footage ("the mig"...er..uh...F5 with a red Soviet star).

The Battle of Brittain - one of the finest aviation movies ever produced. I don't think any movie before (maybe Howard Hughes Hells Angles) or since has as much real flying footage.  It delivers in spades over and over again.

The War Lover - Steve McQueen and lots of actual B17 footage including high speed low passes and a belly landing just for the film.

12'O'clock high - great story, well acted with great footage.

movies to watch with SO:

Always - Romantic film about water bomber. Great flick, Audrey Hepburns last film (still an elegant beauty at 60).

For the Moment - obscure Canadian film staring Russell Crowe. Lots of excellent NA-16 Harvard footage. War time romance film about volunteers training to be bomber pilots in Manitoba in the early 40s. Beautifully shot and well acted.

Honarable mention to "Fandango". Not an aviation film but a great coming of age flick with an awesome aviation sequence and sky diving scene. 

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

On February 24, 2016 at 0:35 AM, cliffy said:

None better than "The High and the Mighty" with John Wayne.  I can hear him whistling the tune right now. 

Some 15 years ago I deployed to a desert location.  They handed me a brick (LMR) when I arrived and asked me what my call sign was.  Not being rated (crew chief) I hesitated for a bit and then said "Roman" for Dan Roman.  Nobody asked and I didn't volunteer the source.  Good thing, because I am neither a Dan Roman, nor John Wayne.

Cloud Dancer (David Carradine) is good if you're aerobatically inclined...

TG is a great laying on the couch late Sunday afternoon movie..lol.

Most of us have seen it so many times we can close our eyes and nap in and out while its on and never miss a beat. No thinking necessary.

My brother was a Top Gun instructor and says the movie is so far from reality it was really a turn-off for the real deal. I still enjoy it though

Anybody seen Kelly Megillis lately

-Tom

56cc6c6da5c30_KellyM.jpg.a199491b00f5b5107d560ab88f6d905d.jpg

Time hasn't been good to a few of them. Including Kathleen Turner:

3d5030cac5e49b0ba3b706a76239879b.jpg

Although I will say my favorite 1980s star is still going strong. Catherine Mary Stewart:

08b392254adbf9713eb3a84aae5e6441.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On February 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM, TWinter said:

TG is a great laying on the couch late Sunday afternoon movie..lol.

Most of us have seen it so many times we can close our eyes and nap in and out while its on and never miss a beat. No thinking necessary.

My brother was a Top Gun instructor and says the movie is so far from reality it was really a turn-off for the real deal. I still enjoy it though :)

Anybody seen Kelly Megillis lately:o:o

-Tom

Kelly M.jpg

Looks like she has a scar under her nose, if she had plastic surgery I'd ask for my money back.

• Like 1

On February 27, 2016 at 4:24 AM, cliffy said:

There was one with James Cagney as a Canadian bush pilot in the late 30s or early 40s flying float planes. Can't think of the name right now.

On February 27, 2016 at 4:24 AM, cliffy said:

There was one with James Cagney as a Canadian bush pilot in the late 30s or early 40s flying float planes. Can't think of the name right now.

Set your DVRs it is TCM Monday morning at 7:00 AM

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Heeeeee's back....

https://usat.ly/2qTiabR

Tom Cruise announces his upcoming project...

Way to go Mav,

-a- 

I just hope they don't have a bunch of CG completely unrealistic crap like you see in so many movies now. I loved the flying sequences in Top Gun. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Heeeeee's back....

https://usat.ly/2qTiabR

Tom Cruise announces his upcoming project...

Way to go Mav,

-a- 

I can already see the potential here...The aging Maverick has attained Captain status with United, after retiring from the Air Force Navy with a nice pension. On a transcontinental flight, an unruly passenger defiantly keeps his electronic device on and hacks the navigation system which puts the 747 over North Korean airspace. Tom uses his top gun skills in a dog fight with Kim Jong Un and ejects the troublemaking passenger using him as a human missle to down Un's MiG. Mav does the celebratory buzzing of the tower and is put on administrative leave pending an investigation. He then wins the heart of the FAA official, a recently divorced mother of three, marries and retires to South Florida and buys a Corvette and a Harley.

Edited by Chupacabra
  • Like 9