ADS-B: UAT/978 vs Mode S / 1090ES

Seth

What are the true differences / pros and cons of the UAT/978 vs Mode S/1090ES.

1.  Why would you get UAT vs Mode S

2.  After 2020 can you fly with UAT and Mode C into other countries like Canada, Mexico, or the Bahamas, or will you need a Mode S transponder?

My aircraft is a Mooney Missile, which has a ceiling of 18,800 feet, and thus I could fly in Class A if I wanted to - I can do that once or twice before 2020.  I don't need 18,000+ feet, hence my original thought on going UAT.  However, retaining the ability to go to 18,800 is pro, but very very low on the pro list.

I understand that you need Mode S for 18000 Feet and above (Class A).  

However, I also understand the UAT / 978 in many ways can allow a "anonymous" mode for VFR traffic outside of ADSB required airspace.  Is that important to you?  Do you think we are going to be tracked and charged fees in the foreseeable not to distant future with the ADS-B system and with Mode S you can never turn it off?

Not trying to stir up politics, just trying to figure out what I'm going to install in my aircraft. 

I'm looking seriously as noted in another post, at the new Garmin Transponder GTX 345 hooked up to my Garmin 430W vs getting a GDL-88 and Flight Stream 210 installed to my 430W and KT76A which would include an adapter/encoder for the KT76A.  

One difference would be the type of ADS-B OUT signal:   1090 ES vs 978.

The operational differences in the cockpit would be loading the flight plan from ipad to 430W but that could be solved with adding FS210 to the 1st option.  The GTX version involves less boxes and upgrades me to the digital transponder age.

Thanks for your thoughts on this discussion.

-Seth

Seth -- since I have no plans on flying the flight levels, the UAT version is what I need. I don't know the requirements outside of the US, but again, low on my priorities.

I do like the anonymous feature of the UAT offering if for nothing other than to remain anonymous.

I'm also still holding out for more for less...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You won't be very anonymous. Transponders are still required, and they all squawk discrete, assigned codes.

That's part of my beef with ADSB--it doesn't replace anything I already have to run under radar, it simply adds more large, expensive boxes that I have no panel space for. Let it replace the freaking transponder! And so far, no one makes a panel mount ADSB box with weather and traffic display. But it will display in the nice new Garmin GPS, which I can spend $15-20K to replace my perfectly good Garmin GPS box I already have . . .

You'd think since it's how govt is reducing their massive radar budget by making aircraft owners install equipment to broadcast our positions instead, that a portion of the govt savings could be used to offset our costs . . . But no, the evil, rich airplane owners should pay for their equipment so the govt can save a halfpenny. Get rid of one piece of Congressional pork and the entire GA fleet could have free ADSB. Zap one piece per month and every airplane in the world could have free ADSB . . . But then some Senator or Representative would be in fear of losing a couple of votes in their district . . .

Screw 'em all. Deviate your traffic around my 1200 signal. I'll talk to you after 1/1/20 when and if I feel like it (or mathematically speaking, IFF I feel like it). If ADSB ever reaches a reasonable installed price and comes with a display on something other than uncertified electronics that I also have to buy, through uncertified software that is a third cost, I'll think about opting in. Right now, though, it's a game and I'm not playing. Ya'll look outside sometime, I'll be passing by and really don't want you to run into me. I always look outside when not IMC.

Edited by Hank

I chose Mode S 1090ES.  I fly a C so the flight levels had nothing to do with the decision.  What did is the following...

• I didn't have to ADD any boxes. I already have a WAAS GPS so I only had to swap my transponder for one with the ES.
  • Traffic and weather is displayed better on my iPad with ForeFlight via the Stratus2, then it can ever be displayed on the 530W.
  • I do plan to fly to Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean, and Canada, and therefore the 1090ES is required.
  • I bought a second hand GTX330ES from Alan and without any need for additional boxes, antennas, etc, it was a cheap solution.

I'm happy with the decision so far.

• Like 2

You won't be very anonymous. Transponders are still required, and they all squawk discrete, assigned codes.

That's part of my beef with ADSB--it doesn't replace anything I already have to run under radar, it simply adds more large, expensive boxes that I have no panel space for. Let it replace the freaking transponder! And so far, no one makes a panel mount ADSB box with weather and traffic display. But it will display in the nice new Garmin GPS, which I can spend $15-20K to replace my perfectly good Garmin GPS box I already have . . .

You'd think since it's how govt is reducing their massive radar budget by making aircraft owners install equipment to broadcast our positions instead, that a portion of the govt savings could be used to offset our costs . . . But no, the evil, rich airplane owners should pay for their equipment so the govt can save a halfpenny. Get rid of one piece of Congressional pork and the entire GA fleet could have free ADSB. Zap one piece per month and every airplane in the world could have free ADSB . . . But then some Senator or Representative would be in fear of losing a couple of votes in their district . . .

Screw 'em all. Deviate your traffic around my 1200 signal. I'll talk to you after 1/1/20 when and if I feel like it (or mathematically speaking, IFF I feel like it). If ADSB ever reaches a reasonable installed price and comes with a display on something other than uncertified electronics that I also have to buy, through uncertified software that is a third cost, I'll think about opting in. Right now, though, it's a game and I'm not playing. Ya'll look outside sometime, I'll be passing by and really don't want you to run into me. I always look outside when not IMC.

The grandiose plan is not the traffic and weather, it is supposed to offer ATC greater flexibility to do off airway routing to enable more capacity (supposedly). I'm just curious if NexGen will live up to that expectation with uncontrolled VFR flights in the sub flight levels still crossing those direct paths.

At times it feels GA is being led to the slaughter.

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I chose Mode S 1090ES.  I fly a C so the flight levels had nothing to do with the decision.  What did is the following...

• I didn't have to ADD any boxes. I already have a WAAS GPS so I only had to swap my transponder for one with the ES.
  • Traffic and weather is displayed better on my iPad with ForeFlight via the Stratus2, then it can ever be displayed on the 530W.
  • I do plan to fly to Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean, and Canada, and therefore the 1090ES is required.
  • I bought a second hand GTX330ES from Alan and without any need for additional boxes, antennas, etc, it was a cheap solution.

I'm happy with the decision so far.

There really isn't any requirement for 1090ES in any other North America country for GA, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future despite what our FAA says. Mode S though is the ICAO standard and that will eventually become required equipment in Mexico & Canada - but they continue to postpone the requirement for N registered GA traffic. But Mexico for example doesn't even have any GPS approaches yet, and is way behind the technology curve.  In contrast, both Cuba and Canada do have them. Anyway, expect 406 ELTs and Mode S to become required well in advance of ever seeing Ads-B out a requirement anywhere else than the US in North America. By the time it is, we'll probably all be on a less jammable GPS bands anyway.

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

The grandiose plan is not the traffic and weather, it is supposed to offer ATC greater flexibility to do off airway routing to enable more capacity (supposedly). I'm just curious if NexGen will live up to that expectation with uncontrolled VFR flights in the sub flight levels still crossing those direct paths.

At times it feels GA is being led to the slaughter.

The only airway routing ive ever been assigned was from just outside Daytona down to FXE and back; north of whatever that VOR is [Ormond Beach?], I was direct. I do lose direct going from AL to NC because ATL approach ignores the T-routes; last time I asked, they stumbled a bit, mumbled about checking, and repeated "stay out of the Bravo." So I hugged it nice and close down the east side at 8500 msl. When IFR on the same route, they send me to CINCA, but when VFR I stay inside it and follow the Bravo circle.

So how does that fancy $5000 ES transponder get me better routing? Even with it, ATL will tell me to "stay outside the Bravo." In the meantime, that will buy a lot of fuel and a couple of annuals.

Edited by Hank

So mode S at some point will be needed for Canada and potentially Mexico.  What is the current date deadline for Canada?

How important is "Anonymous Mode" to you?

Is there any Mode S / 1090 ES transponder with an anonymous setting when flying VFR?

-Seth

My professional pilot coworker attended the NBAA (National Business Aircrat Association) in Vegas a few months ago specifically to gather info on ADS-B as it applies to our Jet, and to the airspace system.   The FAA ADS-B geeks attended in force to answer questions from the attendees.  My co-worker spent a considerable amount of time discussing the issue, in effect getting info from the "burning bush".

He was told that the FAA had NO INTENTION of shutting down any radar facilities even after everyone has ADS-B OUT installed.  The purpose of ADS-B according to them is only to increase the refresh rate, and accuracy of aircrafts position.  Currently the refresh rate of a radar is several seconds and with ADS-B this can be reduced significantly.

Furthermore, the FAA is NOT shutting down all the VORs, a common misconception on this board and around the GA community.  Thet ARE shutting down about 1/3 of the 950 or so VORs currently in use, to happen slowly over the next 10 years or so.  I believe the first round of shutdowns will occur between now and 2020.  This info comes from AOPA and I think I have it right as I am working off my 60 year old memory banks.

The VOR system will remain a "back up" system to GPS, which due to it's very low power is probably easily jammed anyway.  VOR remains a valid navigation system and will continue to be so for the forseeable future.

I fly a turbocharged airplane so I will get my GTX330 upgraded to ES and have the required "whole shebangabang" for 2020. This is still 4 years away so I'm not truly concerned with compliance at this point.

Not to Seth's original post but the benefits of ADS-B to GA are the services it offers - traffic and weather - at "no cost". Well, ain't nothin' free!! For displaying these "free" services I have a Garmin 696 in my panel and a Garmin GDL-39 on the glareshield. The 696 is hard wired to the GDL-39 and I also have an iPad. If you want something panel mounted, for the money, a 696 (or 796) is absolutely the best MFD you can get. Flight plans are cross-fed from the 530 which lets me view weather up course. I also use it for traffic and backup navigation should the 530 go TU. I haven't updated the nav data on the 696 since I bought the plane in December of 2012 because I always have current data on the iPad - but I probably will in the next couple of months. I use the iPad for charts and plates as well as secondary weather/traffic. This is the most economic installation I can think of and everyone that gets in the plane has been impressed with the 696 as an MFD.

• Like 1

Seth, the range from 17 to 19k is not very useful.  ATC often won't assign FL180, or if they do, they will let you be there for awhile and will then want you higher or lower.  They are doing it to protect the altimeter difference between aircraft at 29.92 that are above FL180 and local pressure below.  Probably you know this.  But I have just given up flight planning in that range.  Practically speaking, an 18,800 ceiling is 17,000 (or 17,500 for VFR).

• Like 1

I am under the impression that if you go the UAT/978 route you still must maintain your Mode C transponder, while the Mode S/1090ES is more of an "all in one" box.  The transponder in my M20C is fairly ancient though serviceable, I'd rather not have to continue to depend on it if I don't have to.  Moreover, the UAT/978 will have significant interface with the Mode C transponder, so if your Mode C transponder breaks the bill could be pretty big.

That said, my aircraft hasn't got WAAS anything.  I think there are boxes that will give you a Mode S/1090ES that contain their own GPS/WAAS source.  They're spendy, but not as much as buying for mode C and ADS-B transponders.  Stratus is supposed to be coming out with a Mode S/1090ES transponder with its own WAAS source into which you can plug your stratus transmitter, it will share the outside antenna and power.

The install for any of these things is likely to be breathtaking, since they all have antennas.  Ain't aviation grand.

1 minute ago, steingar said:

I am under the impression that if you go the UAT/978 route you still must maintain your Mode C transponder, while the Mode S/1090ES is more of an "all in one" box.  The transponder in my M20C is fairly ancient though serviceable, I'd rather not have to continue to depend on it if I don't have to.  Moreover, the UAT/978 will have significant interface with the Mode C transponder, so if your Mode C transponder breaks the bill could be pretty big.

That said, my aircraft hasn't got WAAS anything.  I think there are boxes that will give you a Mode S/1090ES that contain their own GPS/WAAS source.  They're spendy, but not as much as buying for mode C and ADS-B transponders.  Stratus is supposed to be coming out with a Mode S/1090ES transponder with its own WAAS source into which you can plug your stratus transmitter, it will share the outside antenna and power.

The install for any of these things is likely to be breathtaking, since they all have antennas.  Ain't aviation grand.

Steingar.

Correct from what I've learned.  If you buy a UAT box from FreeFlight or King(rebranded FreeFlight), you have to keep your Mode C transponder.  You then have to install two antennas: one for the internal GPS and one for the ADS-B.  When your transponder sends out a signal, the UAT box receives the signal, and figures out what the code is.  Once it knows the code, it starts sending out the ADS-B signal.  If you ever replace your Mode C transponder with a Mode S transponder, that system won't work anymore and you'll have to go back in and run wiring from the new Mode S transponder to the UAT box.

I like the 1090 boxes because, like you, I can get rid of an aging transponder and have essentially no change in my weight and balance, not need to add any new antennas (we already have WAAS), and have a Mode S transponder for international flying if we ever decide to go to Canada or Mexico.

I just did a check on the Sarasota Avionics site and the GTX345 with the internal WAAS GPS is only $600 more than the one without the GPS.  Of course you'll have to install a GPS antenna for it which will also increase install cost.  When I talked to Pacific Coast Avionics last weekend, they estimated installed cost for the GTX345 in our plane was about $5300.  Add $600 for the GPS and a few hundred for the antenna and installation and I'm guessing you'd come up to something around $6500 to $7000?

I also want to do our install pretty soon while our KT76A still has some value on the used market.

Best of luck,

Bob

Last time I  bought a new transponder is was a couple AMUs, which I decided don't call "cheap".  A couple AMUs are going to get added to the bill no matter what I do, at least if I go with the Mode S solution I get something extra, which is the ability to operate about 18K (I know, not likely in a C) and ability to fly to Canada or Mexico.

I'm currently 2020 compliant and have the GTX330ES. I wish I would've waited because now the GTX345 is available; that's the route I would go today. Ads-B in and out in one box...no brainer for me. Also, I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the U.S. is the only country that uses the 978 Mhz UAT and that makes me wonder if that will go away someday.

Thank you for all the responses and information.

At this point, I'll most likely go 1090ES Mode S in my Mooney Missile.  I'll pull the trigger on the GTX-345 proably sometime late this year or early next year after I hear of true PIREPs in the filed and also to see if anything else has entered the market.  

It will replace my KT76A which will replace a 32 year old box and then no encoder is necessary.  I remove one box and put one in, so useful load won't suffer (even though it would only be maybe 4 pounds) and the only functionality I won't have is pushing the flight plan back and forth from the 430W to the Ipad.  I may install the FS 210 at the same time.

However, having traffic and weather on the ipad is a nice plus with the GTX-345 alone.  

-Seth

On 2/29/2016 at 9:12 AM, jlunseth said:

Seth, the range from 17 to 19k is not very useful.  ATC often won't assign FL180, or if they do, they will let you be there for awhile and will then want you higher or lower.  They are doing it to protect the altimeter difference between aircraft at 29.92 that are above FL180 and local pressure below.  Probably you know this.  But I have just given up flight planning in that range.  Practically speaking, an 18,800 ceiling is 17,000 (or 17,500 for VFR).

You know, I thought that, but was unsure.  I know that 29.92 at 18,000 feet tends to allow for traffic flying at 17,900 to potentially be over the traffic flying at 18,000 at 29.92.  So this confirms some thoughts in my head but really didn't know for sure.  I always wondered about that.

Thanks for the info!

I will go up there at least once just to be in class Alpha airspace, but the Mode S will be more for upgrading my original transponder and preparing for future trips should Canada or countries in central/south America ever require Mode S as well.

-Seth

On 2016-02-24 at 0:23 PM, Seth said:

So mode S at some point will be needed for Canada and potentially Mexico.  What is the current date deadline for Canada?

-Seth

Canada has no published date for mandatory ADSB implementation at this time.  The only ADSB corridor in Canada covers the far north including the North Atlantic that has massive commercial traffic. It allows closer separation in the Gander Oceanic coverage area.

The current plan is to bypass ground based ADSB in favour of satellite based.  We have too much land area and too little population to justify the cost,  The satellite network (expansion of Iridium) launches started in 2015 and expected to be in place by 2017. That will provide worldwide coverage with no "dead" areas... and also coverage from the ground.

Sounds good.... we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Canada has no published date for mandatory ADSB implementation at this time.  The only ADSB corridor in Canada covers the far north including the North Atlantic that has massive commercial traffic. It allows closer separation in the Gander Oceanic coverage area.

The current plan is to bypass ground based ADSB in favour of satellite based.  We have too much land area and too little population to justify the cost,  The satellite network (expansion of Iridium) launches started in 2015 and expected to be in place by 2017. That will provide worldwide coverage with no "dead" areas... and also coverage from the ground.

Sounds good.... we'll see.

Great information, thanks.  Does this mean that eventually Mode S ES will be required for flight in Canada, or will it only be for "special" airspace like Class A, B, and C?

My Ovation has both 1090ES Mode S and GDL88.  I'm told that if you have 1090 MHz Mode S ES the 978 MHz UAT transmitter is turned off during configuration.  The FAA ADS-B compliance report on my plane shows exactly that -- no UAT transmission.  

And yes, the Mode S includes your unique registration number if requested (Mode S originally meant "Selective" in that the ground interrogator could select various replies of the equipped planes, including the unique id reply)

• 4 weeks later...

I have Navworx UAT.  Internal WAAS.  Anomonous mode when squaking 1200. Wifi to my Ipads running WingX or FlyQ. It took no front or back panel space since we mounted it on the back wall of the hat shelf. Kept my Mode C transponder and there were no connections to be made to it, just a simple pick up probe that clamps around the coax going to the mode c antenna. They claim you can fly above 18,000 as long as you do not do it routinely. Avoiding mode S saves money and simpifies IFR recertification.  Simple install.  Low price.  No business connection.