Any words of wisdom for a new 1964 M20E owner?

On 11/27/2016 at 5:24 PM, Gkritter said:

When you get in the air, learn to nail your speeds exactly, not within 5mph or so, but exactly . She'll land on the same dime every time , for my '65 E model ( that I've had for 28 years now) 100 mph on downwind , 90 on base, 80 on final, 70 on short final, use your trim wheel so it can be hands free. Flaps are 1/3 at 100, 2/3 on base, full flaps on final. Short field, power in at 65 with full flaps. At 75 you'll float 100' at least. Enjoy

Or come formation fly with us and we'll give you a whole different set of speeds. ;-)  We expect to be over the number at 90 kts or 105 mph. This works out well for two Mooney's side-by-side on long and wide runways. They still land fine though, no flaps of course.

Both my short body C and mid body K seem to do just fine whether I'm 70 on short final or 105 on short final. It just depends how much runway I have access to. As with just about every airplane, it's better to let it land when it's ready to land and not before.

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Or come formation fly with us and we'll give you a whole different set of speeds. ;-)  We expect to be over the number at 90 kts or 105 mph. This works out well for two Mooney's side-by-side on long and wide runways. They still land fine though, no flaps of course.

Both my short body C and mid body K seem to do just fine whether I'm 70 on short final or 105 on short final. It just depends how much runway I have access to. As with just about every airplane, it's better to let it land when it's ready to land and not before.

This part is incredibly important with a Mooney!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have got a few hours on her and the flying is awesome!  I'm still knocking off the rust but I'm very pleased with the progress.  I like the feel of the aircraft but am picking up on the more restrictive cockpit environment.  My kneeboard is a bit bulky in this cockpit.  Do you guys have any recommendations on a cockpit layout and a kneeboard etc that works well in this aircraft.  I like to write down ATC instruction and other information pertinent to my flight without having to reach behind the seat for a pad of paper.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTNM20E said:

I have got a few hours on her and the flying is awesome!  I'm still knocking off the rust but I'm very pleased with the progress.  I like the feel of the aircraft but am picking up on the more restrictive cockpit environment.  My kneeboard is a bit bulky in this cockpit.  Do you guys have any recommendations on a cockpit layout and a kneeboard etc that works well in this aircraft.  I like to write down ATC instruction and other information pertinent to my flight without having to reach behind the seat for a pad of paper.  Thanks!

The panel in my '66E is updated to the point that all I need is a small notepad to scribble clearances so I have a wall pocket by my left knee with paper and pens. But I've used a small knee board that might suit you - holds a folded sheet of paper 5.5 x 8.5. Something like this:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-bags-kneeboards/kneeboards-lap-desks-and-accessories/military-spec-kneeboard.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTNM20E said:

I use either Sportys or ASA's VFR/IFR kneeboard. It fits a standard piece of paper folded in half, nice Velcro strap around my leg. In the Cessna trainer, I wore it on my right leg; in my Mooney, it's on my left leg to clear the throttle quadrant.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

The panel in my '66E is updated to the point that all I need is a small notepad to scribble clearances so I have a wall pocket by my left knee with paper and pens. But I've used a small knee board that might suit you - holds a folded sheet of paper 5.5 x 8.5. Something like this:
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-bags-kneeboards/kneeboards-lap-desks-and-accessories/military-spec-kneeboard.html

This is what I use and it works well for me. I buy the small notepads at Office Depot that fit perfectly on this and it works well. I too like to write down everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:53 AM, Bob_Belville said:

You could go to a 201 w'shield and eliminate those pesky panels with a leak proof permanent solution.

IMG_20151130_172430588_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151201_151821355_HDR.jpg

My opinion (and its just that) is to save this step of wealth disposal until you are

1) Completely finished updating the avionics to all of the gizmos you would ever want in this airframe. Your avionics guy will not cuss about you to everyone he knows for the next few years.

2) Are ready to repaint the plane

3) Need a 5 AMU aviation shopping/spending fix

4) Need a new windscreen and you want to redo your glare shield

3M makes strip caulk (sold in the PMA section of NAPA aero parts stores) the works well to keep H20 out

best "knee board"  I have seen and not made yet.  Take a piece of plexiglass and cut to the shape of the tablet and then add an extra square the size of the small square post it notes. some velcro for the tablet and you are done.   The more advanced model could include a pen holder.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that most of the major stuff is out of the way I'm working on some of the smaller items.  At some point in time someone twisted a bit to hard on the cabin light switch and broke it off.  Anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement or a source for a replacement rheostat?

20170127_141301[1].jpg

20170127_141921[1].jpg

20170127_141934[1].jpg

20170127_141945[1].jpg

20170127_142204[1].jpg

Ever look in the parts manual and come to the realization that the parts you have aren't the same as all the other cool kids in the neighborhood?  :)

There is some relevant info regarding replacement rheostats found in Mooneys...  they have a typical lifespan of 50 years plus or minus several decades so many have come up on their replacement dates.

Try the search box for ideas...

Check your log books to see who, when and what was put in up there.  The eyeball vents are precious compared to the original devices.

To get right to the point... there are part numbers on the devices in your photo. See if you can get the mfg name part number and any other details...

The fun part is Mooney doesn't manufacture these common parts.  So, a ten dollar part will probably only cost $10, not one amu...

Best regard,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1