Any words of wisdom for a new 1964 M20E owner?

On June 2, 2016 at 10:11 PM, MTNM20E said:

The engine is finally going back together and should be hanging on the airplane this month. Very excited!  While I have been waiting for the engine I have been taking care of some simple housekeeping issues on the aircraft. Cleaning and touchup paint primarily.  I noticed the other day that the rubber gasket on the ram air door was cracked so I just ordered a replacement gasket from LASER.  Looks like it secured to the door by flush mount rivets.  Anyone ever change one of these and can offer a few pointers?  Thanks

image.gif

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MTNM20E said:

Learning more about my M20E daily and getting excited to get her in the air!

That is one gorgeous E! Great paint and it looks like you could eat off the engine.

Edited by HRM
Damn autocorrect.
  • Like 1

Hit a road block today. :(  Looked like there might be some small cracks in the ends of the exhaust.  Had it checked and the initial assessment is that the exhaust might not be repairable.  I don't want to look past a safety issue but can an exhaust be repaired?  Any recommendations on a good replacement?  Not planning on getting a super awesome tuned exhaust yet as I just want to get the girl up in the air safely for now.

34 minutes ago, MTNM20E said:

...can an exhaust be repaired?

I'd say absolutely, but I imagine they have to look at it.

Basically, you send it to a shop that specifically works on them.

As mentioned by others, a shop that has the fixtures and welding equipment to do it to certified repair standards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update! Getting close to getting her in the air.  I had the exhaust rebuilt and we just got it put back onto the aircraft.  Over the weekend I installed the mounts for the new seat belt shoulder harnesses.  A new interior is going in this week and with any luck we will be running it next week.  Shouldn't be long now.  Getting very excited about building some time in her!  Pictures to follow:)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1964 and older have rounded Windows. '65 and on got the more rectangular ones...
One thing you can work on...  Replacing all the screws and fasteners with the SS variety. Start acquiring the proper sized replacements.  It will make taking all the panels off a bit easier.
Best regards,
-a-

I ordered various size stainless screws from McMaster Carr. I think it looks so much better but I may be about the only one to look down there. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When you get in the air, learn to nail your speeds exactly, not within 5mph or so, but exactly . She'll land on the same dime every time , for my '65 E model ( that I've had for 28 years now) 100 mph on downwind , 90 on base, 80 on final, 70 on short final, use your trim wheel so it can be hands free. Flaps are 1/3 at 100, 2/3 on base, full flaps on final. Short field, power in at 65 with full flaps. At 75 you'll float 100' at least. Enjoy

• Like 4

I'm getting ready to reinstall the skin panels over the avionics accessory bay and the previous owner has about 15 different types of weather stripping to seal the panel.  Anybody have any advice on the best type of weather stripping to use here.  I haven't cut any corners yet so I might as well clean this up while I'm at it..  THX

There has been a discussion or two on that topic...

1) clean out overything that is in there...

2) There are various silicone putty substances that work well.

Unfortunately, I only remember what I went through on my 65C.  There may be better ideas out there...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 6:24 PM, Gkritter said:

When you get in the air, learn to nail your speeds exactly, not within 5mph or so, but exactly . She'll land on the same dime every time , for my '65 E model ( that I've had for 28 years now) 100 mph on downwind , 90 on base, 80 on final, 70 on short final, use your trim wheel so it can be hands free. Flaps are 1/3 at 100, 2/3 on base, full flaps on final. Short field, power in at 65 with full flaps. At 75 you'll float 100' at least. Enjoy

Speeds adjusted for weight, and wind gusts. 

• Like 3